New members introduce yourself here

Nikon53

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Robert Wolkey said:
Hi, my name is Robert Wolkey. I just started playing a few months ago and I'm a horrible player. I need some new players from Spokane to teach me how to play, so if you're from Spokane send me an email and get an easy win or two.
Glad to hear you have finally started actually playing instead of that horrid excuse-for-playing you used to do.

You could have elaborated: "an easy win or two" all in a short afternoon.

Just being helpful.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
>Glad to hear you have finally started actually playing instead of that horrid excuse-for-playing you used to do.

Ouch! Guess I deserved that.

See newbies, if 'Mr. ASL' says you suck, you suck. Come on over and we'll play. There are currently five players in our Spokane ASL group and we have a lot of fun.

Nikon53

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Robert Wolkey said:
>Glad to hear you have finally started actually playing instead of that horrid excuse-for-playing you used to do.

Ouch! Guess I deserved that.

See newbies, if 'Mr. ASL' says you suck, you suck. Come on over and we'll play. There are currently five players in our Spokane ASL group and we have a lot of fun.
Ho-Ho! Kidding of course.

Go play the Wolkster. He's a good one to learn from, as I have learned from him as well.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Robert Wolkey said:
Hi, my name is Robert Wolkey. I just started playing a few months ago and I'm a horrible player. I need some new players from Spokane to teach me how to play, so if you're from Spokane send me an email and get an easy win or two.
Talk about laying a trap......

Junior

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi, new to the forums and to the game. I'm from Upstate New York, currently living in Brunswick but building a home outside of Saratoga. I'm a former Marine and spent about a year in the Gulf during Desert Storm.

I met a few people at the tournament in Albany and have picked up most of the modules etc. I'm going to try and get out to play in Deerfield, MA after speaking with Vic, hopefully that will work out. It definitely seems difficult to "start" playing ASL, alot of older material out there and new players have to try and find a point where they can enter. I've been reading the older journals and annuals, trying to "catch up". Its alot to take in but I've met some great people so far that are bringing me up to speed. Talk to everyone soon.

-Keith

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Junior said:
It definitely seems difficult to "start" playing ASL, alot of older material out there and new players have to try and find a point where they can enter.
Three ways that help to begin :
- The Starter Kits introduce you to the basic mechanics of the game, without the burden of the more sophisticated sides of ASL.
- Find a F-t-F experienced opponent (or, better : a gaming club) : most grognards will offer you help and advice.
- Install VASL : it is free, you can play online or by email, you can find opponents - using a vocal device, like Teamspeak or Skype, helps a lot and makes the experience near to a FtF one.

So, welcome here.
Use the Rules and Errata subforum to ask all the questions you have about the game. None will be considered "dumb", as no one of us masters the rules so well that he can't learn something new... And veterans have had numerous questions that needed answers too, before they became near self-sufficent gamers.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
>Ho-Ho! Kidding of course.

I knew that.

>Go play the Wolkster. He's a good one to learn from, as I have learned from him as well.

Yeah right. The only thing you learned from me was not to play the Ghurkas in White Tigers as it favors the Japanese. Or not to listen to The Wolkster when he says, "Hey Mark, check out this cool scenario. Want to play? I'd like to be the Japanese!"

Wooo Wooo Wooo, Warning, Warning. Danger Will Robinson.

spwhites

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello from Iowa. If anyone knows of someone in the Tri-State area (Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa) area, send them my way. I started with SL when I got it as a Christmas present in 1979. I was a big fan of SF Battles and various SPI games along with the early ASL (BV/Yanks).
Recently, I've become a big fan of eBay, as this has allowed me the opportunity to sell my non-ASL games and complete my ASL (sans Doomed Battalions) collection. I'm reinstalling VASL (hard drive crash) and getting back up to speed on the ASL rules (memory faded while I was punching holes in the Atlantic- bubbleheads unite!). Ready for some ftf action...
Steve Whites
Dubuque, Iowa

jcurtis55

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Introduction

Hello from Indianapolis. I'm new to ASL but I actually played my first wargame in 1970 (AH Anzio). Although I played a lot of Avalon Hill and SPI games back in the 70's I was not playing much by the time SL and ASL got going. For the last 15 years or so I've primarily played historical miniatures, as well as Mechwarrior. Then last couple of years my interest in boardgames has returned, but while I was aware of ASL it seemed a bit intimidating to figure out where to start, and it was obvious you could spend a lot of money before playing a single game.

A couple of months ago I noticed Starter Kit #1 on the shelf of a local shop and for $21 thought this was a chance to get a feel for ASL without making a major investment. I was fortunate to hook up with another player who was returning to ASL after an absence and was looking to ease back into things. We started up a game of the old scenario Guards Counterattack on VASL and he has been teaching me the game, and explaining things to me has hopefully helped him out as well. We plan on continuing to play on VASL and there is a local wargame club where I am sure I can get a FtF game going at some point.

I can already feel the addiction growing. I not only ordered SK #2 but have pre-ordered Beyond Valor with MMP and have acquired some other modules when I think I find a reasonable price. So far I have Yanks ($30), Paratroopers ($16) and The Last Hurrah ($20).

I do have some questions you can probably help me out with. First, do I need to acquire the Squad Leader boards 1-4 or will those be the same as the 1-4 boards that will be included in the new Beyond Valor?

Next, several modules available now require boards and counters from modules currently out of print. So the debate is whether I should pick up the modules that are in print now hoping modules like West of Alamein and Code of the Bushido will eventually be back in print or just play the ETO scenarios and worry about the PTO and north Africa later. While I've been in a buying frenzy lately, I'm still not willing to pay $200+ for some of the out-of-print stuff.

Three, I'm confused on West of Alamein vs. For King and Country, and do you really need WoA if you have FKaC.

Finally, do you guys keep your counters separated by modules? I was thinking of setting up fishing tackles boxes, but organizing by nationality seems the most logical way to go. I'm also mulling over some thoughts on organizing scenario cards, overlays, etc.

Now if I can just find someone looking to trade ASL stuff for a ton of Mech Warrior miniatures I'll be set. :)

ChrisBuehler

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
jcurtis55 said:
Hello from Indianapolis. I'm new to ASL but I actually played my first wargame in 1970 (AH Anzio). Although I played a lot of Avalon Hill and SPI games back in the 70's I was not playing much by the time SL and ASL got going. For the last 15 years or so I've primarily played historical miniatures, as well as Mechwarrior. Then last couple of years my interest in boardgames has returned, but while I was aware of ASL it seemed a bit intimidating to figure out where to start, and it was obvious you could spend a lot of money before playing a single game.

A couple of months ago I noticed Starter Kit #1 on the shelf of a local shop and for $21 thought this was a chance to get a feel for ASL without making a major investment. I was fortunate to hook up with another player who was returning to ASL after an absence and was looking to ease back into things. We started up a game of the old scenario Guards Counterattack on VASL and he has been teaching me the game, and explaining things to me has hopefully helped him out as well. We plan on continuing to play on VASL and there is a local wargame club where I am sure I can get a FtF game going at some point.

I can already feel the addiction growing. I not only ordered SK #2 but have pre-ordered Beyond Valor with MMP and have acquired some other modules when I think I find a reasonable price. So far I have Yanks ($30), Paratroopers ($16) and The Last Hurrah ($20).

I do have some questions you can probably help me out with. First, do I need to acquire the Squad Leader boards 1-4 or will those be the same as the 1-4 boards that will be included in the new Beyond Valor?

Next, several modules available now require boards and counters from modules currently out of print. So the debate is whether I should pick up the modules that are in print now hoping modules like West of Alamein and Code of the Bushido will eventually be back in print or just play the ETO scenarios and worry about the PTO and north Africa later. While I've been in a buying frenzy lately, I'm still not willing to pay $200+ for some of the out-of-print stuff.

Three, I'm confused on West of Alamein vs. For King and Country, and do you really need WoA if you have FKaC.

Finally, do you guys keep your counters separated by modules? I was thinking of setting up fishing tackles boxes, but organizing by nationality seems the most logical way to go. I'm also mulling over some thoughts on organizing scenario cards, overlays, etc.

Now if I can just find someone looking to trade ASL stuff for a ton of Mech Warrior miniatures I'll be set. :)
1st: Welcome! Another future addict falls victim to the lure of the SKs. I'm also a victim.

2nd: The current verion of BV includes boards: 1-5, 8, and 20-23, so yes, boards 1-4 are included.

3rd: If you have FKaC, you do not need the old version of WoA, which included the British order of battle. WoA 2nd edition will feature desert rules, boards, and information counters only. MMP is working on this.

4th: I organize by nationality in plano boxes. Others use Raaco and various other systems.

As for your decision on whether or not to purchase the original WoA and/or CoB on eBay would depend on your level of patience. MMP has stated they are going to reprint these however it will likely be a few years, possibly longer, until they both are reprinted.

On the other hand, there is a ton of great material for the European Theater - likely more than enough to occupy your time until the other modules are reprinted.

JMHO,
Chris

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey guys, welcome aboard!

P.S. don't organize by module. Organize by nationality.

idaho

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Newbie hello

Hi guys,
I have to admit to a fair amount of lurking, as I am a shy and retiring creature! I hail from Boyanup, Western Australia (in the south west). Three years ago I started getting into ASL after playing SL for a couple of years prior. FTF games are rare, but a couple of tournys are held in Perth each year. Currently, I have a 1-7 record, but I play against 20 year veterans. Initially nerve wracking but now its heaps of fun and I'm learnng alot. VASL is great. I'm now into my fourth game. So far, the people I've played against are incredibly helpful. After painting and playing miniature based table top games for over 10 years, ASL is for me, the game of choice.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Welcome here, Idaho !
I do hope you'll find help, good contacts and fun on this forum. ;)

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
jcurtis55 said:
They have been repainted, and is printed on cardstock similar to the ASLSK maps, but are "the same" maps. The only reason to acquire the old is if you prefer the mounted boards.

Next, several modules available now require boards and counters from modules currently out of print. So the debate is whether I should pick up the modules that are in print now hoping modules like West of Alamein and Code of the Bushido will eventually be back in print or just play the ETO scenarios and worry about the PTO and north Africa later.
I think you should pick up every module, except Gung Ho. Even if a module requires WoA or CoB, it's probably only for a few of the scenarios therein.
The exception is Gung Ho, where all scenarios require the Japanese counters and the rules for CoB, and the planned reprint of CoB will probably include Gung Ho.

And you will not be able to play Historical Modules using Japanese (BRT, OWHS) without CoB of course.

WoA contains the British OoB (including ch. H) + Desert rules, counters, boards and overlays.

FKaC contains the British OoB (including an updateed ch. H) + some old SQ ETO boards.

So most modules that list WoA as a reuirement, do so for the British counters, meaning that FKaC is sufficient. The Historical modules Pegasus Bridge, A Bridge Too Far, and Operation veritable are examples of modules only requiring the British OoB.

WoA2 is planned, and will then contain the Desert stuff, but not the British OoB - IIRC. So buy FKaC now, and then buy WoA2 when it becomes available if you're interested in desert (which is kool).

madDdog67

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not new to the site, but I don't know that I've posted much (or at all) in this forum.

I played the first scenario from SK1 w/ my room mate and another guy last night. All things considered, they took to it fairly well. We played the scenario from both sides, analyzing when/why/what each unit should do. Interstingly, they managed to input some interesting ideas for moves that I hadn't considered.

The SK rules *really* help to bring new players into the fold, I think. There's still enough game there to sink your teeth into, but you don't get that look you used to get when you handed people the v.1 rules binder :laugh:

As for VASL, it helps a lot too...but I can't play it w/o Skype.

Beardo1976

Reaction score
First name
Jason
Country
llUnited States
Hi everyone

Hello all,

Just wanted to introduce myself to these forums. I have been an ASL fan for many years, but have not actually played that many games. I think the last time I played was about seven or eight years ago. I started collecting SL and ASL waaaay back in high school and have slowly been adding to my collection over the years, and right now I am looking to get back into the game. I don't think I ever made it any farther than the infantry rules on my first go around, hopefully this time I will have a little more luck. I live outside of Washington DC in Arlington, and hopefully will be attending MMP's Winter Offensive (if I can get away for a few days :mad: ). I would also like to start attending the monthly gaming sessions of the DC Conscripts, so if anyone is in that area, drop me a line maybe we can hook up a game. As far as my level of play in ASL, I would have to consider myself a newbie. I'd like to play through all of the SK 1 & 2 senarios to help reintroduce myself to the rules. Hope everyone has a happy new year!! :laugh:

Jason

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Hello, Jason !
Welcome here !
If you don't finde FtF opponents, give VASL a try.
Going the SK way is the right one to learn the ASL basics.
Don't hesitate to ask questions in the Rules and Errata subforum.

Cheers

Robin

vogless

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi

Hellow Everyone! I'm brand new to ASL through the new starter kits. I had a friend try to teach me to play when I was in grade school back when ASL first came out. I remember I liked it, but at that time I couldn't afford it and it was a bit over my head. In the last few years I've toyed with the idea of getting into WWII miniatures, but I found it's a bit of a mess deciding which rules, scale, theater to get into. That and with a baby, I just don't have the time to paint. I've always been told ASL is THE WWII game, so why not put the cash into the modules and spend the free time I have gaming instead of painting. Besides, it seems to me that this system is the most historically accurate (researched anyway ;) ) of any of the others on the subject. I've already posted a few times and have found this site extremely helpful on getting started. Thanks for the help and I'll be talking to you all soon!

Steve

P.S. I'm planning on using the Plano boxes to organize my stuff and I've run across pictures of some really neat looking full color inserts for the boxes based on nationality. Anyone know where to find these?

Last edited:

Admiral

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Welcome aboard vogless & Beardo1976!​

For ASL, I have it that some of these loons are the best around.​

As for painting... I've found it to be quite relaxing.​

Ever try it with paint balls!​

Har!​

Again, welcome!​

And watch yer back!​

They're a rowdy buncha & good people!​

Last edited:

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Beardo1976 said:
Hello all,

Just wanted to introduce myself to these forums. I have been an ASL fan for many years, but have not actually played that many games. I think the last time I played was about seven or eight years ago. I started collecting SL and ASL waaaay back in high school and have slowly been adding to my collection over the years, and right now I am looking to get back into the game. I don't think I ever made it any farther than the infantry rules on my first go around, hopefully this time I will have a little more luck. I live outside of Washington DC in Arlington, and hopefully will be attending MMP's Winter Offensive (if I can get away for a few days :mad: ). I would also like to start attending the monthly gaming sessions of the DC Conscripts, so if anyone is in that area, drop me a line maybe we can hook up a game. As far as my level of play in ASL, I would have to consider myself a newbie. I'd like to play through all of the SK 1 & 2 senarios to help reintroduce myself to the rules. Hope everyone has a happy new year!! :laugh:

Jason
Jason, if you make it to WO, be sure to stop by and say hi. You'll really enjoy WO.