Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Hello,

Just joined the forum. Stumbled across this place while Googling some rule clarifications for ASLSK, so thought I had better join in order to ask some of my own questions. First played SL back in the 1980s, then played a little of ASL, before taking a break and now, with the pandemic, I've had some free time to get back into gaming with the ASLSK. I'm UK based and in addition to ASLSK, I also play RPGs and X-Wing.
Welcome back. I'm sure someone here can answer your questions. Good luck and roll low!

pablogons

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Hi. I'm a long time wargames fan. I particularly enjoy playing ASL, but I also hit the table with other contemporary warfare hex & counter boardgames (OCS series and the like). I also play RPGs, but I’ll leave that for another day…

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Welcome !
I hope that you will find all the resources you are looking for.
The Rules & errata folder is specially useful : if you search it, most rules questions have been adressed.
Don't hesitate to ask your own questions.

pablogons

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Thanks, Robin. You're so kind to me. I'll try to make advantage of the immense knowledge that builds up in this website.
Thanks again for the welcome.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
What is your experience of ASL?
There are quite a number of Spanish players.
And with VASL, you can find many players ready to introduce you to the system.

lluis61

Reaction score
First name
Luis
Country
llSpain
Hi. I'm a long time wargames fan. I particularly enjoy playing ASL, but I also hit the table with other contemporary warfare hex & counter boardgames (OCS series and the like). I also play RPGs, but I’ll leave that for another day…
Welcome! Don't hesitate to ask doubts or tell your ASL experiences. Here there are kind people ready to help

pablogons

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llSpain
I'm a long time (but not too gifted) ASL player. In the past, I used to play with a close friend but since a couple of years I’ve embraced the 'solo' mode. I've never been part of a community nor tried VASL until last April (works pretty well!). I do have heard about an active and committed ASL community in Spain, but have had no contact with them so far.

Lluis and Robin, thank you so much for your messages.

Reaction score
First name
Ricardo
Country
llSpain
I'm a long time (but not too gifted) ASL player. In the past, I used to play with a close friend but since a couple of years I’ve embraced the 'solo' mode. I've never been part of a community nor tried VASL until last April (works pretty well!). I do have heard about an active and committed ASL community in Spain, but have had no contact with them so far.

Lluis and Robin, thank you so much for your messages.
There are some Spanish guys in the forum. I myself live in Málaga and I could get you in contact with the telegram group of ASL players.

jomolungma

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi there! I'm about as new to ASL as you can get, in that I first learned the game existed a few days ago. I'm also essentially new to this level of wargaming. I say essentially because I played some Panzer General a looooong time ago and then a smattering of computer-based (mostly) wargames throughout the 90s. I tried my hand at real war from 2002-2004, but have been pretty much out of turn-based, grognard-level wargaming for a very long time. Instead, I've been playing a lot of RPGs (mostly D&D), racing sims, and the standard suite of the current popular video games through the years.

Anyway, I actually came across ASL because I was exploring some GMT games, which led me to look at Board Game Geek's wargame lists, which led to me to ASL. My exploration of GMT titles also led me to VASSAL. Once I learned of ASL, I pretty quickly learned about VASL. That all happened pretty much last week :LOL:

So I've just been reading as much as I can about the game, exploring different scenarios in VASL, lurking on multiplayer sessions in VASL, and watching some YouTubes. I came across this forum because I was looking at the VASL-Templates software, which has a thread somewhere embedded in these forums.

I just thought I'd introduce myself before I start asking questions all over the place. FWIW, I'm a 3/2 ACR veteran (Toujours Pret!) and I live in the Washington DC area. Once the pandemic allows, I'm going to try and get out to my local hobby shop, which I'm pretty sure has a good-sized wargaming community based on my casual observations of what's playing in the back, and buy some modules and try to play through some scenarios. Right now, however, I'm pretty much leveraging VASL, the Texas ASL site, and a couple other online resources as much as I can to learn and play the game.

Look forward to engaging with you all over what I hope will be the next several years.

Stu

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Hi there! I'm about as new to ASL as you can get, in that I first learned the game existed a few days ago. I'm also essentially new to this level of wargaming. I say essentially because I played some Panzer General a looooong time ago and then a smattering of computer-based (mostly) wargames throughout the 90s. I tried my hand at real war from 2002-2004, but have been pretty much out of turn-based, grognard-level wargaming for a very long time. Instead, I've been playing a lot of RPGs (mostly D&D), racing sims, and the standard suite of the current popular video games through the years.

Anyway, I actually came across ASL because I was exploring some GMT games, which led me to look at Board Game Geek's wargame lists, which led to me to ASL. My exploration of GMT titles also led me to VASSAL. Once I learned of ASL, I pretty quickly learned about VASL. That all happened pretty much last week :LOL:

So I've just been reading as much as I can about the game, exploring different scenarios in VASL, lurking on multiplayer sessions in VASL, and watching some YouTubes. I came across this forum because I was looking at the VASL-Templates software, which has a thread somewhere embedded in these forums.

I just thought I'd introduce myself before I start asking questions all over the place. FWIW, I'm a 3/2 ACR veteran (Toujours Pret!) and I live in the Washington DC area. Once the pandemic allows, I'm going to try and get out to my local hobby shop, which I'm pretty sure has a good-sized wargaming community based on my casual observations of what's playing in the back, and buy some modules and try to play through some scenarios. Right now, however, I'm pretty much leveraging VASL, the Texas ASL site, and a couple other online resources as much as I can to learn and play the game.

Look forward to engaging with you all over what I hope will be the next several years.

Stu
Welcome to the Fraternity that is a very friendly and helpful group, there is an active ASL group in DC any questions you need answered no matter what they are about will get answered here .!

jomolungma

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Welcome to the Fraternity that is a very friendly and helpful group, there is an active ASL group in DC any questions you need answered no matter what they are about will get answered here .!
Thanks! I imagined that if there was going to be anywhere that wargaming, particularly ASL, would be common, it would be in and around the epicenter of the US armed forces :LOL:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Welcome to the madhouse.
I hope that you will find all the useful resources you need over here.
The Rules & errata folder is the place to ask rules questions and to find answers to already asked questions.
Whatever our level and the time we have been playing, we all are still learning new things.
So don't hesitate to ask questions: a bunch of players are always ready to help (and the best rules gurus are around here).

Von Kar

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
Hi,

I’m new to the forum, but not to ASL. I got to know “the game” in its very beginnings, when the rulebook and the Beyond Valor module were all there was.
I had been introduced to SL in the local wargames club not long before, so that got me started. There was quite an ASL-community in those days - I fondly remember quarterly meetings, organised by the guy who was a major contributor to KGP a few years later. (Maybe he’s on this Forum, too.)

As things went in pre-VASL times, contacts and time to play on a regularly basis faded gradually as family life and work took over.

But then, last December, another esteemed member of this Forum contacted me and asked me if I was interested in taking up playing again.

I admit I was somewhat sceptical of playing by VASL as opposed to face to face play.
Well, I’m totally hooked now. And glad to see ASL is still very much alive.

We played “Going to Church” and are about to finish “Le Herisson” to freshen things up.

Next on our wish list are the scenarios of PB. I loved RB and look forward to playing ASL on historical terrain again.

So I scanned the forum for an AAR of PB1 “Ham and Bloody Jam” to get us introduced, but didn’t find one.
A query of “Ham And Bloody Jam” on the Forum results in “The following words were not included in your search because they are too short, too long, or too common: Ham, and, jam” 🤔

Is there an AAR of PB1 on this Forum ?
Thanks for providing a link.

Last edited:
Reaction score
First name
Ricardo
Country
llSpain
Hi,

I’m new to the forum, but not to ASL. I got to know “the game” in its very beginnings, when the rulebook and the Beyond Valor module where all there was.
I had been introduced to SL in the local wargames club not long before, so that got me started. There was quite an ASL-community in those days - I fondly remember quarterly meetings, organised by the guy who was a major contributor to KGP a few years later. (Maybe he’s on this Forum, too.)

As things went in pre-VASL times, contacts and time to play on a regularly basis faded gradually as family life and work took over.

But then, last December, another estimated member of this Forum contacted me and asked me if I was interested in taking up playing again.

I admit I was somewhat sceptical of playing by VASL as opposed to face to face play.
Well, I’m totally hooked now. And glad to see ASL is still very much alive.

We played “Going to Church” and are about to finish “Le Herisson” to freshen things up.

Next on our wish list are the scenarios of PB. I loved RB and look forward to playing ASL on historical terrain again.

So I scanned the forum for an AAR of PB1 “Ham and Bloody Jam” to get us introduced, but didn’t find one.
A query of “Ham And Bloody Jam” on the Forum results in “The following words were not included in your search because they are too short, too long, or too common: Ham, and, jam” 🤔

Is there an AAR of PB1 on this Forum ?
Thanks for providing a link.
There is a section in the forum where people post AARs. You could try there.

Von Kar

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
I started checking that section, Ricardo, but as it has more than 160 pages, I hoped for a quicker way to find an AAR (if there is one at all ...).

Reaction score
First name
Ricardo
Country
llSpain
I started checking that section, Ricardo, but as it has more than 160 pages, I hoped for a quicker way to find an AAR (if there is one at all ...).
After conducting a through search I haven't been able to find any AARs on that scenario.

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Welcome Ricardo (edit i meant Von Kar I believe), hope you're having fun, Going to Church is a fun scenario at least how I remembered it last time I played.

Here's a couple of small AAR (I googled "Gamesquad Ham and Bloody Jam", the search function here is hard to use because you need to use one distinct word then sift through it all)

You can also find some brief comments at ASL Scenario Archive: https://www.aslscenarioarchive.com/scenario.php?id=56127

Last edited: