New members introduce yourself here

Ed Donoghue

Reaction score
First name
Ed
Country
llUnited States
This a great place to assist you getting into ASL. There is a wealth of knowledge and experience hear., and lots of folks willing to share both. Welcome aboard.

tripvm

Reaction score
First name
Trip
Country
llUnited States
This a great place to assist you getting into ASL. There is a wealth of knowledge and experience hear., and lots of folks willing to share both. Welcome aboard.
Thank you! I am already having a ball reading various threads.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Are you familiar with FRASL (Front Range ASL)? Contact Marty Snow to get your name onto the Google Group/mailing list to get notice for ASL events on the Front Range. We've been playing a lot in Greeley lately at Greg Hubbard's place.

Not quite sure how to get to Marty as he hasn't been around here lately but maybe Tuomo can?

Jazz

Ed Donoghue

Reaction score
First name
Ed
Country
llUnited States
Welcome aboard Tim, good choice. There is a wealth of rules knowledge and game experience here, and the members are quick to address any questions asked. Enjoy.

OberZopf

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Greetings from the Colorado Front Range (near Denver)!

I played the original squad leader games back in the early 1980s when I was in middle and high school. I never made the leap into ASL that is until recently. I have started acquiring the ASLRB and core modules. Now I am now finally diving into the starter kits to get my feet wet. In doing so, I am finding that I actually remember some basics from the original SL. Although defensive fire changed a bit ;-). I am looking forward to getting into ASL and participating in this forum. Also, I would love to find a group of ASL players in the Denver area.

Trip
Hello Trip,
I too started with SL, COI, GI Anvil and COD; actually I started with Tobruk. And well the rest is history.....mine!
I was stationed at Fort Carson, with the 10th CSH from 1996-98.
Spent 2003 to 2014 in San Antonio, TX area; after Army retirement in 08. So I was able to join the SATX ASL Alamo Defenders for a time.
Well...welcome back......roll low...keep the ROF!

OberZopf

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Welcome to the site Bill and back to SLv2, ASL. Feel free to reach out to almost everyone here for help, advice or even a game or two via VASL live, VASL-PBEM (if you haven't gotten VASL yet, highly recommended you do so) or with you living in TX a good chance for a face-to-face play (there's a robust community of some great people there). As for other sources, you've probably noticed a thread that leads you to ASL resources provided on this forum and I would certainly be remiss should I not direct you to Klas Malmstrom's "Perry Says" PDF download (one of several on his site) that can be accessed in the Rules thread under The Unofficial Perry Says Q&A on Gamesquad in a PDF file sub-thread. There are several other outstanding ASL sites out there, especially the free BANZAI magazine produced by the Texas ASL organization. Best to you and roll low (best tactical advice I can give you)!
Thank you for the welcome, to everyone!

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Howdy folks!

I'm very glad to be a new member of this forum. I've been eagerly devouring the rules & tactics advice, as well as the humor and banter.

Below is a copy-paste of a post I did a few weeks back in the "How did you first hear about ASL?" thread. It gives an in-depth of my history with SL/ASL.

WWII has fascinated me as long as I can remember (my favorite documentary series is The World at War, narrated by Laurence Oliver). Growing up, if Dad's channel surfing landed on something WWII, that is what we watched and it rubbed off on me.

In the late 70's, when I was approaching ten, I discovered that my favorite toy store was also a hobby shop. On the top shelf of one of the hobby section aisles they had a good selection of AH titles, with most of them being wargames. Immediately Squad Leader stood out to me as "The One." There was just something about the box art and game focus that captivated me. I pestered and pestered my mother until she finally gave in and got it for me (was the 4th ed, purchased in '80, I think).

Unfortunately, I was too young to hack the rules and the adults around me couldn't get past the first column or two of the rulebook. So, I pretty much just put counters on the boards and played soldier with them, turning them to the broken side when they were "dead" (but, being a weird kid who was fanatical about preserving cherished possessions - I have never lost a single piece of that module!).

Over my preteen and teenage years, I bought various other titles:

Airforce (a present for a friend. We played once and I was the only one who read the rules).
Gettysburg (no players, eventually lost it in a move).
Firepower (still have it, largely unpunched).
Up Front (unpunched with one card deck opened. Still have it).
Banzai (unpunched. Still have it)
Patton's Best (played through the campaign once. Still have it.)
Car Wars (lost everything).
Starfleet Battles (played solitaire for awhile. Still have it.).
Star Trek the Role Playing Game (got friends to play once. Still have it.)

The only time I managed to play SL FtF was in high school with a buddy who hadn't read any rules. He beat me! Otherwise, I played the first two scenarios solitaire a few times each and skimmed the rest of the rules.

In '97 I left the States to work overseas for three years. Before leaving, I gave all my games to a friend (who only plays D&D!) thinking that I would never play them again. Wisely, he knew that I would regret it and kept them safe for me until my body and senses returned.

While overseas, I got my first PC and purchased Close Combat III & IV and Panzer Elite. I bought Combat Mission upon its release and played WWII Online periodically over its first couple of years. Far and away Combat Mission was (and is) my favorite video game.

I got back in 2000 and in 2003 remembered my old board/RPG games while at a party at my friend's place. He got them down from the attic and returned them to me - a bit mustier than when I gave them to him, but untouched otherwise.

SL was among them and it wasn't long before I began to read the rules again. To my astonishment, my wife decided to give it a go with me and we played the first two scenarios.

At this point, I really got into it, re-read the whole rulebook and began hunting modules on ebay. I bought COD and COI (returned due to shipping damage) and then found VASL and got clued into ASL vs. SL. I had seen BV back in '85 at the hobby shop, but didn't buy it and didn't know about the leap from SL to ASL.

Once I sussed that ASL was the way to go, I went looking for the ASLRB and BV. MMP was out of them at the time, but I managed to find mint shrink-wrapped AH copies on ebay and got them there, along with a musty, but unpunched copy of the AH printing of Yanks.

After playing a few ASL scenarios with the wife, she had had her fill, so I went looking for players. VASL gave me my first taste of play with a veteran opponent. As wonderful a tool as VASL is, I much prefer the asthetics of the board game, so I went looking for local players on the MMP Player Directory.

I found two local players up for a game, but have only managed to get one session in so far, due to their very limited availability.

Over the last two months, I have been playing SASL using a borrowed copy of the rules and my old SL counters (a use for them at last!). I'm wrapping up the 4th scenario of my first CG as Russians.

So that's me and ASL up to this point in a nutshell (if a big nutshell!).

One interesting thing I've come to realize - my favorite video games, Combat Mission and Starfleet Command, are adaptations of my favorite boardgames - ASL and Starfleet Battles. They funny thing is that, as great as the video games are, I much prefer the boardgames, and as my early FtF experience with the boardgames was so limited, I have really moved from video game to boardgame. Talk about bucking a trend!

To my taste, ASL is the best game ever. It took me 23 years to realize that this is the one game I must play and to feel confident that I can grasp the game system adequately to grow (hopefully!) into a good player. But now I am here and I keep feeling the need to pinch myself that such a great game exists and is still being printed and played!

I look forward to being a long-term member of the ASL community.

Best regards,

Macisle
Looks like you got the bug, go to a nearby tournament.

Nicho11

Reaction score
First name
Jason
Country
llAustralia
Hi Guys, I started my ASL obsession back in the '80's with the original Squad Leader series. I then graduated to ASL and have most of the original modules except for Hollow Legions and the Pacific theatre (COB and GH). The game sat in my cupboard for about 20 years while I did other things. I've recently become reacquainted with the game and possibly a little obsessed! I didn't realise there was such a wealth of information on the internet about the game - play-aids, scenarios and all those articles that were originally published in The General. My only disappointment is that I didn't get back into it a few years ago when the Aussie dollar was worth more than the Greenback. The current exchange rate is a killer! I did splash out and purchased "Hatten in Flames". I haven't played it yet but am looking forward to it. Happy hunting!

Peter J

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hi Guys, I started my ASL obsession back in the '80's with the original Squad Leader series. I then graduated to ASL and have most of the original modules except for Hollow Legions and the Pacific theatre (COB and GH). The game sat in my cupboard for about 20 years while I did other things. I've recently become reacquainted with the game and possibly a little obsessed! I didn't realise there was such a wealth of information on the internet about the game - play-aids, scenarios and all those articles that were originally published in The General. My only disappointment is that I didn't get back into it a few years ago when the Aussie dollar was worth more than the Greenback. The current exchange rate is a killer! I did splash out and purchased "Hatten in Flames". I haven't played it yet but am looking forward to it. Happy hunting!
Hi Nicho, where in Oz are you? i'm in Brisbane. We have a small group of ASL addicts who meet regular-ish!

Nicho11

Reaction score
First name
Jason
Country
llAustralia
Hi Peter, unfortunately I am not nearby. I live in rural Victoria near a town called Benalla. Not many ASL addicts here. I would be rapt if there were any members nearby. I have never actually played against an opponent.

Ed Donoghue

Reaction score
First name
Ed
Country
llUnited States
Welcome back, your story (mine as well) is a familiar one. None or few FTF opponents, and the demands of RL forced many, maybe most, of us to take a hiatus from SL/ASL. Vassal and the wealth of opponents available there has most likely saved this 'hobby', and GameSquad members are the most knowledgeable and supportive folks you will find anywhere. Rules questions are answered quickly, do not be afraid to ask. Follow the discussions, find opponents, take advantage of the wealth of resources available here. Hope to see you in vassal soon.

Peter J

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hi Peter, unfortunately I am not nearby. I live in rural Victoria near a town called Benalla. Not many ASL addicts here. I would be rapt if there were any members nearby. I have never actually played against an opponent.
Nicho, the players in Melbourne are probably your best bet. If you visit the north... drop me a line!

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
My only disappointment is that I didn't get back into it a few years ago when the Aussie dollar was worth more than the Greenback.

Welcome back to the fold!

With the lavish spending by the current US administration, the Aussie dollar might be worth more than the Greenback again eventually... ?

von Marwitz

Hautzmayer

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello to you all,

I registered about a week ago and just wanted to say hello.

I started playing wargames back in the 70's and got SL for Christmas the year it came out. Played it a lot with my friends back then and bought all the gamettes. Joined the military, got married, and was out of gaming for almost 20 years.

Recently started playing some ASL online during lockdown with a couple of local gamers and was quickly hooked. I've picked up a few of the modules and I'm slowly learning. A lot seems really familiar from SL.

Have really enjoyed reading through the posts here--a lot of knowledge and humor.

Paul

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Hello to you all,

I registered about a week ago and just wanted to say hello.

I started playing wargames back in the 70's and got SL for Christmas the year it came out. Played it a lot with my friends back then and bought all the gamettes. Joined the military, got married, and was out of gaming for almost 20 years.

Recently started playing some ASL online during lockdown with a couple of local gamers and was quickly hooked. I've picked up a few of the modules and I'm slowly learning. A lot seems really familiar from SL.

Have really enjoyed reading through the posts here--a lot of knowledge and humor.

Paul

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
While I've been on the site before I have never introduced myself.

My name is Darryl Burk and I played SL/ASL from 1980 to 1995. The last time I played a scenario was at the 25th ASLOk versus my good buddy Bill " Fish " Conner.

I was part of Bob McNamara's playtest group after meeting him through Fish.

I helped Fish with the founding of the ASL Oktoberfest, or ASLOk as it's known these days.

Along with Mark Nixon we did the Series Replay of the DASL scenario " Guryev's Headquarters ".

So much for the positive accomplishments. Along with Fish, and some of the Western boys, I was responsible for the ill fated " In Contact " publication. Sorry to this day that it didn't work out. A good, pre-internet idea that lost its direction. My apologies to all who put their faith in us.

Quit playing in 1995, we were burnt out. Still have a love and have an interest in the game, just not the desire to play. I'm content with resting on the laurels I got from hanging onto Fish and Macs coattails.

Was given the nickname Actionjick by Fish after he called me a " jick " while playing a scenario. I did something to screw him, he went to call me a jackass dick and it came out " jick ", instantly knew what he meant and we both ended up bursting into laughter,.

Fish gave me several nicknames most an offshoot of Actionburk as I was aggressive and liked to play fast. I was also known as " Action " thanks to Rex Martin . It was supposed to be Actionburk but he shortened it to Action in the Series Replay. Also Bobby and " Games for Life Burk " as I won a subscription contest for The General where grand prize was every game AH produced for the rest of my life. The jicks sold out to Hasbro just to get out of sending me free stuff.

Aside from that I drink wine , tequila and rum and think I'm funny when I drink and post. Apologies to you all.

For those who might be interested in what Actionjick looks like in the near present there is a short video on YouTube by a young coworker of mine. It was his final at Kent State and was inspired by a couple of years listening to my sea stories. I thought it was reaiiy good but his professor gave everyone a B. It's " Stories of an Old Sailor, the Cucumber Story.

Last edited:

CannonFodder23

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hello,

Just joined the forum. Stumbled across this place while Googling some rule clarifications for ASLSK, so thought I had better join in order to ask some of my own questions. First played SL back in the 1980s, then played a little of ASL, before taking a break and now, with the pandemic, I've had some free time to get back into gaming with the ASLSK. I'm UK based and in addition to ASLSK, I also play RPGs and X-Wing.