New members introduce yourself here

jwoodall04

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi all,

Been playing a bunch of Combat Commander and everyone was talking about this ASL thing, so I figured I'd check it out. Bought the in-print modules that I could find (BV, RS, and HP), but just missed FKAC I guess. Also have Starter Kit #1, but I haven't jumped in yet. Will need a teach at some point in the near future. Just trying to work the timing out with an almost 2-year old at home. Great community though from what I've seen so far (just looking around the great interwebs). Oh, and I'm in Houston in case there are any local groups that play.

- James

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi all,

Been playing a bunch of Combat Commander and everyone was talking about this ASL thing, so I figured I'd check it out. Bought the in-print modules that I could find (BV, RS, and HP), but just missed FKAC I guess. Also have Starter Kit #1, but I haven't jumped in yet. Will need a teach at some point in the near future. Just trying to work the timing out with an almost 2-year old at home. Great community though from what I've seen so far (just looking around the great interwebs). Oh, and I'm in Houston in case there are any local groups that play.

- James
Check out the Texas ASL group at TEXAS-ASL.com. I think they're based out of Austin and they have a team tournament scheduled in the later half of June.

At any rate, welcome aboard and best wishes!

jwoodall04

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah I saw that and we're often in Austin since the in-laws are there. Will have to check it out. Thanks!

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hello All! I'm also new to the forum today. I'm a retired Marine, enlisted infantry, 0311, got commissioned as a Sgt, and decided to fly. Retired as a Major with 15 years flying Harriers. Flew in a bunch of squadrons, taught at Quantico, and NAS Meridian too. I fly long range international for Fedex now on their 777/200ERs. I've been playing war-games since I was small - Panzerblitz was my first I think, and I started subscribing to S&T right around issue #12. Played a ***lot*** of the old games. Been in WoW and Eve since the beginning (I think I'm done in both). Came back to ASL around the first of the year, and got lucky buying somebody's old collection. I think the only thing I'm missing is A Bridge too Far, Operation Veritable, Journal issues 4-7, and Annual '97. Not too bad for my first 3 months? I've been wading my way through the rules again, experimenting with VASL, and bought a copy of Tigers on the Hunt (seems to be an excellent game there folks!). Oh, and I live right next door to The Gamers Armory here in Cary NC, so that's kinda awesome too. Nice to meet ya'll!

Cheers,

Alex
Welcome back to ASL and to Gamesquad.

Lots of really knowledgeable peeps here if you need help with the rust

Ian

rk137

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Hello All, New to the forum, recently been trying to get into ASLSK with the view to making the leap to ASL. Have been playing games for a long time, but relatively new to wargaming.

All the best,
Ralph

fzmann

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi.
Just joined today, after unpacking some moving boxes and finding my 1985-vintage ASL rule book (CH A-F) a couple of weeks ago. Alas, the mapboards (original hard stock!), and counters are probably completely decomposed in some land fill after all my moves.

Quick story: I started playing SL in the late 70's, and was stoked when ASL was released. I bought the rule book and BV in 1985-6 at the Marine Corps PX in Camp Pendleton while stationed there. The price for each component was about 40% less than at hobby stores!

Would love to get back in to ASL gaming. My last game played was at a tournament in LAX in 1991 or 1992. Since then, a lot of moving, passing of years, and here I am.
I ordered BV from MMP a couple of weeks ago. Side question: do they confirm orders? I didn't get an email acknowledging my order. Might have to call them.

I live in the Monterey Bay area, so I'm thinking I may have to do some traveling to Silicon Valley to get some FtF games in, or travel to SoCal for tournaments (need some practice, though). Doing some quick navigation in this site reveals to me that the game has grown in popularity, and I look forward to re-acquainting myself with ASL (hope I haven't missed too many errata sheets), and get back to gaming.

Thanks,
Felipe

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I live in the Monterey Bay area, so I'm thinking I may have to do some traveling to Silicon Valley to get some FtF games in, or travel to SoCal for tournaments (need some practice, though).
Thanks,
Felipe
Nice area, or at least it was when I spent a few weeks training with the 7th Light at Fort Ord (and Hunter Liggett) back in '84.

Welcome back to ASL!

MikeO

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I ordered BV from MMP a couple of weeks ago. Side question: do they confirm orders? I didn't get an email acknowledging my order. Might have to call them.
I can't remember if they confirm orders via email, but you can go to the MMP website and check the status of your order - they are pretty good about that. It will say 'processing' or 'packing', etc. you should get an email when it is shipped, anyway. It does tend to take them a bit to get stuff sent out.

fzmann

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I can't remember if they confirm orders via email, but you can go to the MMP website and check the status of your order - they are pretty good about that. It will say 'processing' or 'packing', etc. you should get an email when it is shipped, anyway. It does tend to take them a bit to get stuff sent out.
A reason why I posed the question is that the MMP website doesn't appear to work for me. I can't login, nor can I recover the password.

Oh well, I'll see if I can get someone on the phone.

Thanks for the input, MikeO.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hello All, New to the forum, recently been trying to get into ASLSK with the view to making the leap to ASL. Have been playing games for a long time, but relatively new to wargaming.

All the best,
Ralph
Hi Ralph,

Glad you are looking to make the jump from ASLSK to Full Blown ASL, lots to see and do here, and do not be afraid to ask Q's, so many folk here who are all over the rules etc, and willing to help with even the smallest thing.

all the best

Perry

The Dew

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello gamesquad,

I am happy to say I am reintroducing myself to the hobby after many years away and all i can say is WOW!

I am experiencing what i consider a renaissance of sorts. I can’t believe how much breadth and depth exists in wargaming today. Especially with ASL. It feels like I took a time machine into the future from 1993!

I am joining mostly to read, learn and occasionally post my thoughts and experiences. Its been great just checking out the topics, discussions and banter in the forums so far. Kinda feels like stepping into a big old library and wondering where to go next. I find something new everyday. You guys are great!

I play solo mostly and have just created a small gaming area in my home. I have also set aside a budget to bring myself up to date on ASL content. I have most of the Avalon Hill stuff from the old days, but i just recently lined up for the MMP P500 stuff and purchased the new rules, BV and RS. I also have SK1, SK3 and DaE but SK2 has eluded me so far. I had a dilemma on whether I should invest in the reprint core modules; having the old BV, GH and CoB, but after some brief investigation and research pros bested cons.

Thank you and looking forward to being a part of the squad!

The Dew Noob

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Hello gamesquad,

I am happy to say I am reintroducing myself to the hobby after many years away and all i can say is WOW!

I am experiencing what i consider a renaissance of sorts. I can’t believe how much breadth and depth exists in wargaming today. Especially with ASL. It feels like I took a time machine into the future from 1993!

The Dew Noob
Welcome back!

I felt like you feel now when I discovered VASL and this forum in 2010. It was a relevation.

Enjoy!

von Marwitz

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hello gamesquad,

I am joining mostly to read, learn and occasionally post my thoughts and experiences. Its been great just checking out the topics, discussions and banter in the forums so far. Kinda feels like stepping into a big old library and wondering where to go next. I find something new everyday. You guys are great!

I play solo mostly and have just created a small gaming area in my home. I have also set aside a budget to bring myself up to date on ASL content. I have most of the Avalon Hill stuff from the old days, but i just recently lined up for the MMP P500 stuff and purchased the new rules, BV and RS. I also have SK1, SK3 and DaE but SK2 has eluded me so far. I had a dilemma on whether I should invest in the reprint core modules; having the old BV, GH and CoB, but after some brief investigation and research pros bested cons.

The Dew Noob
Welcome aboard, it's always good to see people come back to the fold.

Ian

ozradio

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello all, my wife and I just recently picked up a couple new boardgames (Takenoko and Flash Point: Fire Rescue). Our kids are getting older and we now have more time to socialize and games can be a good way to spend time with friends. I've really gotten into 504, though playing solo doesn't get at the game's full potential. In any case, I keep reading about ASL (which I realize is very different than the other games I've mentioned) and the more I've read and the more videos I've watched, this looks like a game system I could really get into. I'm tempted to get the Starter Kit 1 and try to learn myself but most sites indicate that face-to-face is a much better learning environment. So, I'm looking for any players in the Lawrence, KS, area who would be interested in teaching a newcomer at least some lighter scenarios. I'm aware of the Kansas City club and that could be a good resource. Thanks! Ryan

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Hello all, my wife and I just recently picked up a couple new boardgames (Takenoko and Flash Point: Fire Rescue). Our kids are getting older and we now have more time to socialize and games can be a good way to spend time with friends. I've really gotten into 504, though playing solo doesn't get at the game's full potential. In any case, I keep reading about ASL (which I realize is very different than the other games I've mentioned) and the more I've read and the more videos I've watched, this looks like a game system I could really get into. I'm tempted to get the Starter Kit 1 and try to learn myself but most sites indicate that face-to-face is a much better learning environment. So, I'm looking for any players in the Lawrence, KS, area who would be interested in teaching a newcomer at least some lighter scenarios. I'm aware of the Kansas City club and that could be a good resource. Thanks! Ryan

Ryan:

Here is the thread for the March Madness tournament this coming weekend at the Hollis Learning Center. It would be fantastic for you to stop by. I'm driving up from Joplin for a little Saturday only gaming. I'd be happy to get with you then.

http://forums.gamesquad.com/showthread.php?124925-March-Madness-2016

Cheers,

Mark

ciancinsq

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llPoland
Hello ASL players,
My name is Marcin and I'm from Warsaw, Poland.
I'm registered on gamesquad since 2014, when I get my first ASL stuff - ASLSK 1, but as you can see this is my first post. Since 2014 I've read and watched everything I found about ASL: tutorials, replays etc. And of course I started to buy more ASL stuff. I still buy. Just waiting for my ordered Poland in Flames.
I play when I can, mostly solo or with my brother.

-Marcin

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello ASL players,
My name is Marcin and I'm from Warsaw, Poland.
I'm registered on gamesquad since 2014, when I get my first ASL stuff - ASLSK 1, but as you can see this is my first post. Since 2014 I've read and watched everything I found about ASL: tutorials, replays etc. And of course I started to buy more ASL stuff. I still buy. Just waiting for my ordered Poland in Flames.
I play when I can, mostly solo or with my brother.

-Marcin
Welcome aboard! Best wishes as you continue your journey through our hobby. Don't hesitate to ask questions, as there are a good number of helpful people within this forum.

ndPA

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello All,

I am a new ASL player (learner)...well sort of, since like so many here I have made a couple of previous attempts at the hobby only to be sidetracked by real life stuff. Now I am in my mid 30's and things are a little "quieter" so I am very eager to jump back in. The last time I attempted to learn I used ASLSK, however I am feeling like this time I would like to learn straight away using full ASL. Since I have the 2nd ed RB and BV (2nd Ed.?), I have been laying out the maps and playing through chapter K. It's actually a lot more helpful than I think I thought and so far I am enjoying just working through it. I live in Central PA, Harrisburg area and have VASL as well. I am always up for learning by playing if any of you experts have the time! Other games I enjoy (GMT stuff in general, Heroes of Normandie, Game of Thrones LCG, lots of others. Thanks!