New members introduce yourself here

TylerBBB

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thanks guys for the welcome. I will definitely head over to the CASLO site and sign up for the novice tournament, it looks like I have timed this just right! Look forward to meeting some of the local community in the coming months.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thanks guys for the welcome. I will definitely head over to the CASLO site and sign up for the novice tournament, it looks like I have timed this just right! Look forward to meeting some of the local community in the coming months.
Oh hey, a MAN OF ACTION. I can see beautiful days of ASL ahead for you mate!! :D

generalzhukov

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My name is Rob. I signed up a few years ago but only in the last few days discovered the treasure trove of information here. I play face to face with my brother and a great group of guys in Spokane, Washington. Thinking about getting into VASL too but not sure if my marriage could survive it! I have only played regional tournaments like Enfilade and Game On but thinking about trying ASLOK for the first time this year. Sorry about reviving old threads. Didn't know it was looked down upon.

Last edited:

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My name is Rob. I signed up a few years ago but only in the last few days discovered the treasure trove of information here. I play face to face with my brother and a great group of guys in Spokane, Washington. Thinking about getting into VASL too but not sure if my marriage could survive it! I have only played regional tournaments like Enfilade and Game On but thinking about trying ASLOK for the first time this year. Sorry about reviving old threads. Didn't know it was looked down upon.
Don't worry about reviving old threads. There is some good information that is hidden within them.

Welcome aboard and continue to visit as often as possible.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Welcome,

Hope you enjoy a long and happy stay here. LONG LIVE ASL

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Welcome Rob!

This forum is indeed one of the top sites for ASL. It seemed like a relevation to me when I found it in 2010. After a while, you will discover the different "characters" around here. We've got the incredibly patient ones, the gruffians, etc. etc. Generally a likable lot IMHO.There seems to be no rules question too obscure to be answered in rather short order and other interesting stuff.

Have fun. :thumup:

von Marwitz

Gwinnell

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi Rob

I suspect you caught someone on a bad day with the 'zombie' thread thing. I don't think there is a problem resurrecting a thread if there is a good reason (just my opinion)

Anyway welcome and don't be put off starting your own threads with any points/questions you may have.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi Rob

I suspect you caught someone on a bad day with the 'zombie' thread thing. I don't think there is a problem resurrecting a thread if there is a good reason (just my opinion)

Anyway welcome and don't be put off starting your own threads with any points/questions you may have.
Agree 100%, if you feel you want to add something to a dead thread, do so, and ignore those who blow steam and cry you down, as all have said, welcome to the mob.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I agree, why start a new thread if there is an existing one. It does have the advantage that previous points are more readily available. I would just be careful that a dead 'un is closely matched to your question/comment. If the link between the past and your input is not fairly solid then a new thread would be better. Some find Lazarus acts distasteful, others not.

Anyway the main thing is welcome! You will find the good, the bad and one or two ugly here. There will be spats, rarely really nasty but they do occur, just get out the popcorn and enjoy the fur flying. Some have a snarky or braggart style but many of the same will be be quite helpful despite their outward demeanour.

Skim

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Hi,

My name is Mark from Scotland, and I am brand new and fresh to ASL. I've been a keen board gamer for a few years and I've felt the calling for something deeper lately. After some research I discovered ASL. I've picked up Starter Kit#1 and #3, with a purchase of Decision at Elst looking more and more likely. For the present I will be playing mainly solo with hopefully some FtF when I have some confidence in the rules and my own actions.

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Hi,

My name is Mark from Scotland, and I am brand new and fresh to ASL. I've been a keen board gamer for a few years and I've felt the calling for something deeper lately. After some research I discovered ASL. I've picked up Starter Kit#1 and #3, with a purchase of Decision at Elst looking more and more likely. For the present I will be playing mainly solo with hopefully some FtF when I have some confidence in the rules and my own actions.

Hi Mark, Mark in Joplin, Missouri here! Check out the ASL Google Players Map:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?msa=0&mid=ze3Eaii-ol2A.k01dpp5Hs6bs

There are a number of players up in your neck of the woods.

Don't worry about needing confidence in the rules before you play FtF; nearly every player will help teach you through the rules. The best way to learn is with an experienced player.

The main thing is to have fun while you play.

Mark

HansK

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
Hi,

Hi Mark,

welcome aboard!

You should get in touch with Olli. He's from Scotland too.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Hi,

PM sent

rdcoker

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello,
I just joined the forum. I am returning to ASL after being away for over 15 years. I lost all of my games during Katrina and recently rebuilt my collection from MMP adding the starter kits to get back in the game. I hope to find someone to help me Learn VASL for PBM games or live via the common site. I live in the greater St. Louis area so I hope to get in some FTF play with the local club.

generalzhukov

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Skim

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Hi Mark,

Welcome aboard. Decision at Elst is very fun to play. But it's a big time commitment.

If you don't own it yet, I would recommend ordering ASL Journal 10 from MMP. http://www.multimanpublishing.com/Products/tabid/58/ProductID/226/Default.aspx. It has a fantastic article in it by my friend Robert Wolkey "Beginner Blues"...many useful tips for new players.

Good luck.

Rob
Thank you for the link Rob. The journal looks like something I will pick up in the near future. The journals look to be a fantastic source of info and scenarios.

Cheers
Mark

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Hello,
I just joined the forum. I am returning to ASL after being away for over 15 years. I lost all of my games during Katrina and recently rebuilt my collection from MMP adding the starter kits to get back in the game. I hope to find someone to help me Learn VASL for PBM games or live via the common site. I live in the greater St. Louis area so I hope to get in some FTF play with the local club.

Are you anywhere near Joplin?

Edit: If I had read the entire post . . . . . . :D

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thank you for the link Rob. The journal looks like something I will pick up in the near future. The journals look to be a fantastic source of info and scenarios.

Cheers
Mark
They are really good value as well. Mostly if you own all the modules but even without they are still great

Ian

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Cheers
Mark
Also get Journal #9, it can be acquired from these gentlemen http://fanen.com/ very good service, and very quick, also you can get stuff that is not available elsewhere, oh and welcome. enjoy your self here, and roll low