New members introduce yourself here

dpabrams77

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Names Pete, go by Pedro on VASL. I bought BV and a ASLRB in 1989. I never mastered the game and moved on to others. Now at age 47 and after trying the SK I finally feel as if I am grasping real ASL. I ditched SK after about a month. Thanks to all the tutorials and the whole community ASL finally makes sense. I am not doing night or PTO but some day soon.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hello there Pete, welcome onboard! :)

Names Pete, go by Pedro on VASL. I bought BV and a ASLRB in 1989. I never mastered the game and moved on to others. Now at age 47 and after trying the SK I finally feel as if I am grasping real ASL. I ditched SK after about a month. Thanks to all the tutorials and the whole community ASL finally makes sense. I am not doing night or PTO but some day soon.

Del

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Greetings all. My name is Peter and I am from Frederiksvaerk in Denmark.

Last weekend, after having collected ASL material over a quarter of a century, I finally took the step from ASL collector to ASL player when I was kindly invited by Michael Hastrup-Leth to play my very first FTF game at the Scandinavian Open in Copenhagen.
A very well organized tournament I must add where I have met a great bunch of people - both local and from abroad. Thanks for making me welcome!

"So why haven't you played any games before, Peter?” you might ask. And rightly so...
As many of you perhaps can relate to, circumstances have a way of getting in the way on one’s endeavours. However, I can blame no one but myself that I have not yet taken the time to get together for a FTF game.
Nevertheless, the counters are out of the box now and I hope to get many more games under my belt as soon as possible.
Peter and I played two games of Gavin Take last night, once each side, and I'm happy to say that it won't be long before there's a new shark in the waters...

Yllanes

Reaction score
First name
David
Country
llUnited States
Hello, all. I'm David, from Spain, currently living in Rome (and probably in the US from next year). I have recently bought the ASL rulebook as well as Beyond Valor and I am learning the game. Hopefully, after a couple of FTF practice runs at home I can find some opponents on VASL.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Welcome on board David!!! Good of you to join ~~

Rgds
Jack

Hello, all. I'm David, from Spain, currently living in Rome (and probably in the US from next year). I have recently bought the ASL rulebook as well as Beyond Valor and I am learning the game. Hopefully, after a couple of FTF practice runs at home I can find some opponents on VASL.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Good to get another ASL'er, don't worry about needing to learn the game well, you will get plenty of help via VASL

Ian

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you move to the United States, come to Texas. We have plenty of ASL players in Houston area, Austin area, San Antonio area or the Dallas/Ft Worth (DFW) area.

MRT

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hi all,
I'm Matt, from Sydney. I started collecting ASL in the 90's so my first editions are all in pretty good nick, because when I left home, I never seemed to have the time any more. After at least 18 years, I'm buying up the new stuff and trying to get into it again. I've never had a FTF opponent in my life, so I guess "flying solo" with this game can be somewhat likened to self-abuse (somewhat limited in what you learn and experience, and nothing like the real thing!)...
Hoping I just haven't offended anyone with my sense of humor, can I simply make one observation about this forum? As someone who has always battled to understand the great tome on my own, how wonderful it was to have my first two posts on the forum so promptly and so helpfully answered. It's nice to belong to a community!
Thanks peeps! :cool:

Gwinnell

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi all,
I'm Matt, from Sydney. I started collecting ASL in the 90's so my first editions are all in pretty good nick, because when I left home, I never seemed to have the time any more. After at least 18 years, I'm buying up the new stuff and trying to get into it again. I've never had a FTF opponent in my life, so I guess "flying solo" with this game can be somewhat likened to self-abuse (somewhat limited in what you learn and experience, and nothing like the real thing!)...
Hoping I just haven't offended anyone with my sense of humor, can I simply make one observation about this forum? As someone who has always battled to understand the great tome on my own, how wonderful it was to have my first two posts on the forum so promptly and so helpfully answered. It's nice to belong to a community!
Thanks peeps! :cool:
Matt

Welcome!

Don't worry about self abuse, most on here are experts :laugh:

If you have any questions just ask, there are some great guys who will answer even the most basic ones.
Try the opponents wanted thread you might get to pop your cherry with your 1st ftf game.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Hello Matt,

Your suppose to open up with "Hello my name is John_Smith I am ASL addict and I need a sponsor. I admit I am powerless over my addiction and am seeking help here. It has been 30 minutes since I last touched the counters and/or rulebook (henceforth ASLRB) or have viewed it on VASL. " :)

Welcome. ASL is best learned playing face to face (or pbem, or skype and vasl) with as many players as possible. You can learn it solo, and you can find one stead sponsor but the more partners you have (its not like sex and you have to worry about diseases, well except for Psycho you'll meet him later, just don't accept his invitation to his trailer) the more you'll learn.

Don

MRT

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hello Matt,

Your suppose to open up with "Hello my name is John_Smith I am ASL addict and I need a sponsor. I admit I am powerless over my addiction and am seeking help here. It has been 30 minutes since I last touched the counters and/or rulebook (henceforth ASLRB) or have viewed it on VASL. " :)

Don
Damn! Didn't realise the webcam was still on... I promise not to play with the counters again... :laugh:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Hi.

Don't play any more, but still enjoy keeping up.

Russ
Welcome here, Russ.
Are you an ASLer as some people are believers but never go to church? :p
Anyway, if the itch of playing comes back, let us know : there are plenty of people here ready to reintroduce you to the ultimate WW2 wargame. :)

G.L.O.A.T.

Shut up and Play
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Welcome here, Russ.
Are you an ASLer as some people are believers but never go to church? :p
Anyway, if the itch of playing comes back, let us know : there are plenty of people here ready to reintroduce you to the ultimate WW2 wargame. :)
Used to be ... active ASLer ... Just don't play any more. Still have most of the stuff, including a smattering of newer things (after about 2003 anyway) as I came across them.

"Shut up and Play"
Russ

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Russ "20 men go down in a sub, 10 couples come up" Bunton is that you?

Scott

Used to be ... active ASLer ... Just don't play any more. Still have most of the stuff, including a smattering of newer things (after about 2003 anyway) as I came across them.

"Shut up and Play"
Russ