New members introduce yourself here

dhersh

noob
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm new to ASL - sort of..... (which I fear is not all too uncommon).

I picked up Starter Kit 1, the rule book, Beyond Valor, and Paratrooper back in 2005 or so. I punched out BV, sorted everything into coin envelopes, punched out SK1, dreamed about playing, and then put it all back in a closet.

Last year I started thinking seriously about playing again - hauled everything out, bought the core modules that had been republished through MMP since, punched and sorted into plano, and scanned my entire rulebook and started reading in the evenings on my iPad.

I started looking for players in the area (Ohio) and have some offers I plan to follow up on shortly. In the meantime my son and I have played through the first few scenarios in SK1 and I've been listening to the 2-Half Squad podcasts and devouring tutorials, detailed AARs, journal articles, etc. This site has been a great resource as well.

My hopes for 2014 are to become comfortable playing full ASL, find some regular folks to play in the area (my preference is face-to-face games), introduce some other new folks to the game, and make it out to ASLOK this October.

Mark Humphries

Reaction score
Country
llPhilippines

I picked up Starter Kit 1, the rule book, Beyond Valor, and Paratrooper back in 2005 or so. I punched out BV, sorted everything into coin envelopes, punched out SK1, dreamed about playing, and then put it all back in a closet.

Last year I started thinking seriously about playing again - hauled everything out, bought the core modules that had been republished through MMP since, punched and sorted into plano, and scanned my entire rulebook and started reading in the evenings on my iPad.

I started looking for players in the area (Ohio) and have some offers I plan to follow up on shortly. In the meantime my son and I have played through the first few scenarios in SK1 and I've been listening to the 2-Half Squad podcasts and devouring tutorials, detailed AARs, journal articles, etc. This site has been a great resource as well.

My hopes for 2014 are to become comfortable playing full ASL, find some regular folks to play in the area (my preference is face-to-face games), introduce some other new folks to the game, and make it out to ASLOK this October.
Welcome to the gang. Look forward to meeting you at ASLOK :cool:

msoong38

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My name is Milton. I have been a old school gamer since the mid 70's (got AH's Blitzkrieg in '75)...
I went through the SL/COI/COD/GI back in college, and when ASL came out I played for a while (went through maybe half of BV and then some Paratrooper) before my interest went elsewhere (miniatures, MTG, Euros). But now I am making my way back via the excellent Starter Kit. After about half a dozen SK games I am back to full ASL again.

I am lucky in that I have regular local f2f players, but am looking for more games that I can fit into my work schedule via PBEM VASL....

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Welcome on board Milton, you have certainly came to the right place!

Rgds
Jack

My name is Milton. I have been a old school gamer since the mid 70's (got AH's Blitzkrieg in '75)...
I went through the SL/COI/COD/GI back in college, and when ASL came out I played for a while (went through maybe half of BV and then some Paratrooper) before my interest went elsewhere (miniatures, MTG, Euros). But now I am making my way back via the excellent Starter Kit. After about half a dozen SK games I am back to full ASL again.

I am lucky in that I have regular local f2f players, but am looking for more games that I can fit into my work schedule via PBEM VASL....

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Welcome to the madhouse, Milton !
And, don't worry, even though ASL belongs to Hasbro, Miton & Bradley are welcome here ! :laugh:

Last edited:

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
dhersh,

Welcome to ASL. Your in the perfect spot, Ohio, every year there is a thing called ASLOK in Oct. I went to my first one last year and there was 168 people there of all ages, ability and personalities. It was simply a fantastic experiance, I keep telling everyone "Why did I not make this trip 20 years ago?".

Don't me intimated by years played, rough text typing and agressive behavior in the online thing here, in person most are very nice gentlemen and we are always willing to give you the pants off our backs, (LOL, there is a joke in there wink, wink).

Welcome also msoong38! Contact Jon (witchesbottle) he is in Cali and can direct you to more ASL'ers in that big old state).

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
It's a good place to be you will find a lot of guys who will want to help your play grow.

Having a son who want's to play as well will help you grow as well

Ian

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Welcome aboard, great bunch of guys live here

Ian

msoong38

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
dhersh,

Welcome to ASL. Your in the perfect spot, Ohio, every year there is a thing called ASLOK in Oct. I went to my first one last year and there was 168 people there of all ages, ability and personalities. It was simply a fantastic experiance, I keep telling everyone "Why did I not make this trip 20 years ago?".

Don't me intimated by years played, rough text typing and agressive behavior in the online thing here, in person most are very nice gentlemen and we are always willing to give you the pants off our backs, (LOL, there is a joke in there wink, wink).

Welcome also msoong38! Contact Jon (witchesbottle) he is in Cali and can direct you to more ASL'ers in that big old state).
Thanks. My buddy Chris Farrell and Rich Fulcher made it to ASLOK last year and had a great time. I doubt I'll get a chance to go due to work and spousal approval, but I'll work on it!

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks. My buddy Chris Farrell and Rich Fulcher made it to ASLOK last year and had a great time. I doubt I'll get a chance to go due to work and spousal approval, but I'll work on it!
There is also West Coast Melee in southern California...4 days of ASL goodness...happens in late February every year. Check out SoCalASL.com for more details.

Semper Fi!
Scott

pjelstrup

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Greetings all. My name is Peter and I am from Frederiksvaerk in Denmark.

Last weekend, after having collected ASL material over a quarter of a century, I finally took the step from ASL collector to ASL player when I was kindly invited by Michael Hastrup-Leth to play my very first FTF game at the Scandinavian Open in Copenhagen.
A very well organized tournament I must add where I have met a great bunch of people - both local and from abroad. Thanks for making me welcome!

"So why haven't you played any games before, Peter?” you might ask. And rightly so...
As many of you perhaps can relate to, circumstances have a way of getting in the way on one’s endeavours. However, I can blame no one but myself that I have not yet taken the time to get together for a FTF game.
Nevertheless, the counters are out of the box now and I hope to get many more games under my belt as soon as possible.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Welcome and Congratulations Peter!

Hopefully you can make it to the USA Ohio ASLOK one year, a lot of our European 'cousins' and 'brothers' (the English/Irish/Scottish/Australian) make the trip over to visit us long distance relatives and have a good time :)

Glad you made the change.

Delirium

ASL Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Well done, Peter!

I was also at the Copenhagen tournament. Hope to see you there again :)

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hey there Peter, welcome to the hobby!!! I am pleased to hear that you went to the Scandinavian Open last weekend. I just came back from the Malayan Madness in Singapore myself!!

Warm regards,
Jack

Last weekend, after having collected ASL material over a quarter of a century, I finally took the step from ASL collector to ASL player when I was kindly invited by Michael Hastrup-Leth to play my very first FTF game at the Scandinavian Open in Copenhagen.
A very well organized tournament I must add where I have met a great bunch of people - both local and from abroad. Thanks for making me welcome!

"So why haven't you played any games before, Peter?” you might ask. And rightly so...
As many of you perhaps can relate to, circumstances have a way of getting in the way on one’s endeavours. However, I can blame no one but myself that I have not yet taken the time to get together for a FTF game.
Nevertheless, the counters are out of the box now and I hope to get many more games under my belt as soon as possible.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

That first step on a hopefully long and fun journey.

If you need more kicks get over to Blackpool UK next weekend LOL

Ian

Del

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Hi Peter, nice meeting you at ASO, and as we talked about there, I live on your way home from work, so send me a PM and we'll find a time for a game. :)

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Peter must be a very popular fellow.

Come visit Texas at the end of June for the Austin Team Tournament.

Great food, great crowd and the BEST ASL Tournament Director EVER (Rick Rienesch)sp?....

Jeffrey D Myers

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Kevin, is there much in the way of non-ASL at the Texas events? Don Johnson, a non-ASLer, has recently moved to the region....

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Kevin, is there much in the way of non-ASL at the Texas events? Don Johnson, a non-ASLer, has recently moved to the region....
Jeff, there are some other games that have their leagues (Flame of Wars), but Don would have to visit a local game shop to discover about whatever his interests are.

Here in Killeen, there is one small game store that carries war-games, but refuses to carry and ASL items.