New members introduce yourself here

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi, newbie here. I got into ASL as a teenager, but haven't had a FtF game since high school. Two months ago I decided it was time to break out the ASL modules again. I've re-learned the basics and am working my way through Beyond Valor. Currently, I am almost finished with Scenario 9, which introduces OBA, yikes... not sure I have the handle on that yet... but it's a lot of fun. I'm looking forward to joining the ASL community and eventually testing my metal against a live opponent.

I live in Salem, OR and there seems to be a ASL group in Portland, so I'm thinking that there should be some opponents within an hour's driving range. The most daunting thing about the re-entry into the ASL experience is all the seldom used rules, at least that is my experience. For example I have yet to employ weather conditions in my scenarios I'm playing... until I can move and shoot straight, I don't care which way the wind is blowing!

Have fun all, and don't let the Krauts ambush you.
Welcome to the forums.

Please get in touch with the Portland crowd. They are very good people.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi, newbie here. I got into ASL as a teenager, but haven't had a FtF game since high school. Two months ago I decided it was time to break out the ASL modules again. I've re-learned the basics and am working my way through Beyond Valor. Currently, I am almost finished with Scenario 9, which introduces OBA, yikes... not sure I have the handle on that yet... but it's a lot of fun. I'm looking forward to joining the ASL community and eventually testing my metal against a live opponent.

I live in Salem, OR and there seems to be a ASL group in Portland, so I'm thinking that there should be some opponents within an hour's driving range. The most daunting thing about the re-entry into the ASL experience is all the seldom used rules, at least that is my experience. For example I have yet to employ weather conditions in my scenarios I'm playing... until I can move and shoot straight, I don't care which way the wind is blowing!

Have fun all, and don't let the Krauts ambush you.
Hello there Uriah,

Welcome back to the fold!!!!! This is a great bunch of folks. Don't forget you can do ASL with anyone with the world via the VASL platform as well. This is an absolutely fantastic time to be getting back into ASL.

Good luck ~~

Rgds, Jack

Thorljotsson

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi all,

Been lurking a little while now. Started war gaming in high school (mid-eighties) with Kingmaker and Third Reich. Observed other students playing SL, but didn't try it at the time. Moved away shortly after and stopped war gaming due to lack of opponents. Fast forward about fifteen years when I finally came across an interested opponent in Atlanta who played SL. Tried it out, and I was hooked. That led to an interest in ASL, but my opponent preferred SL. So, I bought his ASL collection from him (ASLRBv1 and the first seven modules) for about a hundred dollars and joined the Atlanta Area ASL group for a couple years. This was right about the time that AH shut down, and I started buying every ASL module and AH game I could find. Got married and started having kids, and ASL got put on the back burner for a while. Ten years later we moved to Chattanooga, and I came across another ASL opponent. Started playing and adding to the collection until my opponent moved away. Been playing through the SKs with my brother-in-law since then, and just moved to northern VA last month. Hoping to make it to WO next month, and looking forward to jumping back into full ASL again.

Michael

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mike,

There are several players in the Northern Virginia area.

Bob O'Connor is one of them.

Sean Deller is a little further away, but there is a host of players that will assist you in getting a ftf game.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hey welcome back!! Good that you already have the kit and all.

Rgds
Jack

Hi all,

Been lurking a little while now. Started war gaming in high school (mid-eighties) with Kingmaker and Third Reich. Observed other students playing SL, but didn't try it at the time. Moved away shortly after and stopped war gaming due to lack of opponents. Fast forward about fifteen years when I finally came across an interested opponent in Atlanta who played SL. Tried it out, and I was hooked. That led to an interest in ASL, but my opponent preferred SL. So, I bought his ASL collection from him (ASLRBv1 and the first seven modules) for about a hundred dollars and joined the Atlanta Area ASL group for a couple years. This was right about the time that AH shut down, and I started buying every ASL module and AH game I could find. Got married and started having kids, and ASL got put on the back burner for a while. Ten years later we moved to Chattanooga, and I came across another ASL opponent. Started playing and adding to the collection until my opponent moved away. Been playing through the SKs with my brother-in-law since then, and just moved to northern VA last month. Hoping to make it to WO next month, and looking forward to jumping back into full ASL again.

Michael

Ambientchair

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
I already posted something on the main site, but here it goes for the ASL players: I'm pretty new to ASL having played roughly 15 games in the past 1,5 years with mostly one opponent. I am looking for more variety in my plays (would prefer playing with an opponent with equal experience).. Having a great time learning and playing.

Unfortunately there seems to be a lack in players in the north of the netherlands, i'd like to play ftf more often.

Andries

RZasl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello everyone. I imagine my story isn't unique. I was a long time wargammer "back in the day" and was an ASL player from the very beginning in 1985, but didn't have much time for it then during college. I played a bit after getting out of school, but FtF opponents were hard to find. I did the SASL thing for a while, but then we started a family and the gaming time slowed to a near halt. Now that my kids are older I have gotten back into the hobby in particular ASL after not much game play the last 15 years. I have even discovered a local club and started playing VASL. What a blast I'm having... I even see one of my VASL - PBeM opponents on here. Hello, Jack! Are you "Going to Church"?

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Yo Z!! Welcome aboard and welcome back to the hobby ~~ :D

Hello everyone. I imagine my story isn't unique. I was a long time wargammer "back in the day" and was an ASL player from the very beginning in 1985, but didn't have much time for it then during college. I played a bit after getting out of school, but FtF opponents were hard to find. I did the SASL thing for a while, but then we started a family and the gaming time slowed to a near halt. Now that my kids are older I have gotten back into the hobby in particular ASL after not much game play the last 15 years. I have even discovered a local club and started playing VASL. What a blast I'm having... I even see one of my VASL - PBeM opponents on here. Hello, Jack! Are you "Going to Church"?

takai

Reaction score
Country
llSwitzerland
I already posted something on the main site, but here it goes for the ASL players: I'm pretty new to ASL having played roughly 15 games in the past 1,5 years with mostly one opponent. I am looking for more variety in my plays (would prefer playing with an opponent with equal experience).. Having a great time learning and playing.

Unfortunately there seems to be a lack in players in the north of the netherlands, i'd like to play ftf more often.

Andries
AFAIK there are a couple of players in the northern netherlands. Don't worry - you'll find them :)

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Olli states that he works in the netherlands (I think), so why not contact him on this forums.....

Also, Grenadier is a very good tournament you might be able to attend one day.

usrlocal

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Peter
Country
llCanada
Hey all,

I thought I'd introduce myself in the dwindling hours of 2013. Been lurking these forums for about a year, but now that in the intervening time I've amassed an insane amount of ASL product and have graduated from ASLSK to full ASL, I figured I'd start participating a bit more actively over here (I'm mostly over at BGG, not so much at CSW).

I just got into ASL about 2 years ago, but was previously heavily into SL/COI/COD/GI back in the day (early 80s). Getting into ASL was like coming home again.

Looks like a nice bunch around here, and I look forward to getting to know you all better in 2014! :)

Happy New Year!

Peter

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
Hey all,

I thought I'd introduce myself in the dwindling hours of 2013. Been lurking these forums for about a year, but now that in the intervening time I've amassed an insane amount of ASL product and have graduated from ASLSK to full ASL, I figured I'd start participating a bit more actively over here (I'm mostly over at BGG, not so much at CSW).

I just got into ASL about 2 years ago, but was previously heavily into SL/COI/COD/GI back in the day (early 80s). Getting into ASL was like coming home again.

Looks like a nice bunch around here, and I look forward to getting to know you all better in 2014! :)

Happy New Year!

Peter
Welcome to the forum Peter! If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask; this is a very helpful community.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
That sounds like my story Peter. Welcome home and Happy New Year!! :D

Rgds, Jack

Hey all,

Happy New Year!

Peter

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hey all,

Happy New Year!

Peter
Atta boy Peter!

Happy New Year in 10, 9, 8... :)

Chris

usrlocal

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Peter
Country
llCanada
Like your avatar have not played that game in decades...lol
Yeah, CityFight's an awesome tactical wargame. I had the pleasure of playing it F2F about a year ago. It's aged very well. It's a shame the system didn't have a chance to mature like ASL - lots of potential there.

Mark Humphries

Reaction score
Country
llPhilippines
Hey all,

Happy New Year!

Peter
Hi Peter! :cool:

horseshoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey all,

Happy New Year!

Peter
Welcome aboard, Peter..