John Garlic

Reaction score
Weslaco, Republic of the Rio Grande, Texas
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
Hello,

Just a quick introduction. I'm John Garlic. Just getting back into ASL after a 7 year hiatus. Busy with life and family, but looking forward to getting in some games here in South Texas. Still rummaging around to dig everything out of storage. Have to go and check out VASL. My son is starting out in ASL, so that's a good thing. Hope to get up to Austin this June.

John Garlic

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hello,

Just a quick introduction. I'm John Garlic. Just getting back into ASL after a 7 year hiatus. Busy with life and family, but looking forward to getting in some games here in South Texas. Still rummaging around to dig everything out of storage. Have to go and check out VASL. My son is starting out in ASL, so that's a good thing. Hope to get up to Austin this June.

John Garlic
Welcome aboard sir! :)

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello,

John Garlic
Hey john,

Welcome aboard.

Place the 3rd weekend in June 2014 on your calender.

That's the next Austin Texas Team Tournament.

Probably see you there.

Drow

Reaction score
Hello,

John Garlic
Welcome to you and your son. I was there about ten years ago, came up from Houston with a freind to see that old train station. He was thinking of modeling in HO scale but passed away before finishing it.
Don't be shy in asking for help from anyone here.

Bill

John Garlic

Reaction score
Weslaco, Republic of the Rio Grande, Texas
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
Welcome to you and your son. I was there about ten years ago, came up from Houston with a freind to see that old train station. He was thinking of modeling in HO scale but passed away before finishing it.
Don't be shy in asking for help from anyone here.

Bill
Thank you. I've found everything except information counters, German SW/SMC, and ASLRB. I'm sure I don't need ASLRB anymore. I would guess that everyone has used the past few years and every interpretation is all hashed out by now :)

John Garlic

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello,

John Garlic
Welcome back, John. It'll be great seeing you back up in Austin. For those who don't recognize the name, John is very familiar to us here at the Texas Team Tournament as John was our Individual Champion in the 2002 tourney. Good to hear your son is getting into ASL now. Look forward to hopefully seeing both of you in Austin this June!

Rick

horseshoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thank you. I've found everything except information counters, German SW/SMC, and ASLRB. I'm sure I don't need ASLRB anymore. I would guess that everyone has used the past few years and every interpretation is all hashed out by now :)

John Garlic
Yeah right !! Find the rule book ASAP.....

Welcome aboard John !!!

brainfertilizer

Recruit
Reaction score
Nathan here.
Went on a bender 10 years ago and bought/sold everything Avalon-Hill related I could find on eBay.
Bought a bunch of bundles, verified and sold individual games to pay for more bundles, etc.

Then life got busy and everything went into storage.

It's time to drag everything out and start playing some ASL. Glad I found this place.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Nathan here.
Went on a bender 10 years ago and bought/sold everything Avalon-Hill related I could find on eBay.
Bought a bunch of bundles, verified and sold individual games to pay for more bundles, etc.

It's time to drag everything out and start playing some ASL. Glad I found this place.
It's great that you put your gear in storage, the amount that gets sold off and then have to buy it back again

Ian

brainfertilizer

Recruit
Reaction score
As an early teen, I played SL, Midway, Paydirt, War at Sea, NATO and a few other games.
When I went on this buying/collection spree, I ended up with dozens of games I'd never heard of before. It's amazing.
I sold off the Europa stuff because it was incomplete and getting a complete set seemed too expensive. That funded almost all my other purchases.
But now I've got stuff like Firepower, Raid on St Nazaire, TacAir, Sniper, Patton's Best, Desert Victory, Soldiers!, Open Fire, and even stuff like Swashbucklers (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/623/swashbuckler) and Beachhead (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/4298/beachhead).

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Nathan here.

Hello there & welcome back!!!

btw .. The Download section on the Texas ASL page has all sorts of ARMORY files .. they should help you figure out which module has what ... http://texas-asl.com/

brainfertilizer

Recruit
Reaction score
Wow!
It is just nuts how much information there is out there, how many people are still into ASL and other board games.
I think my wife is going to hate that I found this website...

Willowcrown

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. It keeps growing all the time and everyone, well all but lol one are so nice and wonderful. Don't be afraid to ask for help on anything,

Nicky

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Welcome brainfertilzer, yes at ASLOK this year there was 168 people in attendance, it was my first time there and my 17 year olds first time, I kept saying "Why the hell did I not come 27+ years ago to this thing?".

Nicky, Mary, Andy and my son range in ages 17-22 (IIRC) and those are the ones that I know about (from GS), there is also a group of 30-45 year olds as well. And then all us old farts or those that have an age that is suppose to make them old but still think they are 27 instead of 47. So ASL is still by and far going strong, it's the community of players and the social aspect and story piece that makes ASL so fantastic, but its mostly the players I think.

There is also VASL for both PBEM and live online play or play live with skype.

And MMP and 5 or so TPP are still cranking out ASL stuff for the masses...

Welcome