dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Welcome to Hell, I mean GS.

There are quite a few of us PBEM out here in the wilderness, and a lot of us are willing to walk you through the steps to get the hang of doing PBEM...

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi all, new guy here. Haven't played a game yet but over the years have managed to purchase more than I'll ever play... following the "who dies with the most toys, wins!" philosophy. Have lurked here long enough. Hope to get a beating via PBEM VASL soon! The line forms to the right...

Terry
Hello there, welcome aboard!! PBeM rocks, what can I say? :D

Drow

Reaction score
Hi all, new guy here. Haven't played a game yet but over the years have managed to purchase more than I'll ever play... following the "who dies with the most toys, wins!" philosophy. Have lurked here long enough. Hope to get a beating via PBEM VASL soon! The line forms to the right...

Terry
The girls say HI and welcome aboard too. Now play that first game and sit back and enjoy the fun.

Bill

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Terry
Terry,

Welcome aboard.

The list of players continues to grow.

Please enjoy trolling the threads and give your input freely.

Thanks for stopping by.

dsoukup

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Greetings, everybody. I am a long-time Eurogamer who has had an itch for detailed wargames for a few years, but I have never had the opportunity to experience anything due to the nature of my regular gaming group. I have "previewed" ASL for over a year by reading various online articles, watching rules introductions and so forth, but I have yet been able to determine if ASL is right for me. Due to financial reasons and uncertainty of affinity with the game, I have not "taken the plunge" into ASL by purchasing the ASLRB and Beyond Valor. I am not interested in ASLSK since it seems it would be a $30 temporary investment; that is, I would move to ASL if I enjoy it (thus "wasting" that $30) or I would not be able to recoup my investment should I sell it due to dislike.

I am almost ready to bite the bullet and purchase the ASLRB and first module since it seems I can likely recoup 75% of the investment through selling them on the second hand market if necessary. Before I do that, though, I am looking for some way to gain exposure to the world of ASL either in person (Kansas City, MO) or otherwise. I will be posting in the "Opponents Wanted" section to scout the possibility of being a peeping Tom into some group's FtF games nearby or via VASL.

dsoukup

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sorry - duplicate post. I can't seem to find a way to delete it.

Greetings, everybody. I am a long-time Eurogamer who has had an itch for detailed wargames for a few years, but I have never had the opportunity to experience anything due to the nature of my regular gaming group. I have "previewed" ASL for over a year by reading various online articles, watching rules introductions and so forth, but I have yet been able to determine if ASL is right for me. Due to financial reasons and uncertainty of affinity with the game, I have not "taken the plunge" into ASL by purchasing the ASLRB and Beyond Valor. I am not interested in ASLSK since it seems it would be a $30 temporary investment; that is, I would move to ASL if I enjoy it (thus "wasting" that $30) or I would not be able to recoup my investment should I sell it due to dislike.

I am almost ready to bite the bullet and purchase the ASLRB and first module since it seems I can likely recoup 75% of the investment through selling them on the second hand market if necessary. Before I do that, though, I am looking for some way to gain exposure to the world of ASL either in person (Kansas City, MO) or otherwise. I will be posting in the "Opponents Wanted" section to scout the possibility of being a peeping Tom into some group's FtF games nearby or via VASL.

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
Welcome! Kansas does have an active, albeit spread out, ASL community. KC, Fort Riley, Wichita, Lindsborg, and Hays; that I know of. Your best bet is to send a PM to Danno (Dan Best) from KC, I'm sure he will be able to arrange something.

sarfs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sorry - duplicate post. I can't seem to find a way to delete it.

Welcome aboard.

You can't deleted the duplicate but you can edit it down to the minimum character limit.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Welcome aboard.

Glad to have you here.

Please feel free to comment or ask any questions.

Many of the forumites will help you out with good information.

funkymuppet

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi guys - full on newbie, having read a lot about ASL for the last while - but never yet played it, and looking to get set-up in the next few weeks. Have played a lot of games in the past, and ardent fan of things like Harpoon and the new Command, plus WitPAE. Will be looking for opponents (people to learn from frankly ) on VASL. Based in NYC, so if there is a strong club here would be great to know about it.

Looking forward to the games!!

JW

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi guys - full on newbie, having read a lot about ASL for the last while - but never yet played it, and looking to get set-up in the next few weeks. Have played a lot of games in the past, and ardent fan of things like Harpoon and the new Command, plus WitPAE. Will be looking for opponents (people to learn from frankly ) on VASL. Based in NYC, so if there is a strong club here would be great to know about it.

Looking forward to the games!!

JW
Hey there JW .. welcome aboard!! If you happen to look for PBeM on VASL, I might be able to help. This is a great community though. There's a forum folder here where you can "advertise" for opponents, you shouldn't have a problem getting responses! :)

funkymuppet

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi jacksonk - I may well take you up on the PBEM! Thanks - just know that you'll be dealing with many questions...
Will post in the opponents subforum when I get set up - and see who's willing.
Cheers - JW

funkymuppet

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Duplicate

(there is something very weird happening with the Post Quick Reply button - this is the second time this has happened. I'm a forum regular in other places, not not a question of dumb user - Chrome is the browser I'm using - anybody else experience something similar? I see a guy further up this thread who duplicate posted as well)

Last edited:

Gwinnell

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Duplicate

(there is something very weird happening with the Post Quick Reply button - this is the second time this has happened. I'm a forum regular in other places, not not a question of dumb user - Chrome is the browser I'm using - anybody else experience something similar? I see a guy further up this thread who duplicate posted as well)
It's not you.
Everyone seems to double post sometimes. Not sure what you can do about it.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
From the very occasional times that I have had a double post, I have a strong suspicion of the cause.

When I use Firefox, I have no problem with a post hanging, but with my usual browser IE 9, about 30% - 50% of the time my posting attempt hangs for up to 5 minutes. If I hold off, it eventually unlocks and comes back. In the early days I would have tried the "Post Quick Reply" button again, believing that my original click on it did not 'take' and that was the cause of the duplicates. With many people if they don't see any activity, either spinning circles or "waiting for" messages, they try clicking again. At least that is my best guess concerning the duplicates.

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am returning from a long ASL hiatus where I sold my entire collection thinking I'd never want to play ASL again.

Now I am looking forward to starting my collection again, organizing counters, etc.

Oh, and playing again too!!!

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am returning from a long ASL hiatus where I sold my entire collection thinking I'd never want to play ASL again.

Now I am looking forward to starting my collection again, organizing counters, etc.

Oh, and playing again too!!!
Welcome back.

Look in the Marketplace area for ASL items.

Also, go to the HoB area, Steve Dethlefsen has some items for sale as well.