New members introduce yourself here

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Am I the only one who, when someone mentions the "Twin Cities" thinks of Buda and Pest?

Welcome to the madness. I hope you manage to persuade your bro back into playing.

Yup......

Just be careful around them folks from Minnesota when you think that..... They're kind of jealous about the name "Twin Cities" and support a Major League Baseball team as well....

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi,
I am coming aboard with some Squad Leader and ASL exposure back in the late 70's and 80's (seems like ancient history now). At that time, my brother fully converted to ASL and was trying to get me to learn ordnance and vehicle rules. I was much more comfortable with the programmed instruction aspect of SL and so I never made it very far with ASL. We did however manage an occasional infantry scenario. After a couple decades raising family, etc. I finally pulled out the few dusty Avalon Hill boxes that I owned from the basement and much belatedly told my brother I was finally ready to learn the rest of the rulebook after 25 years!! He had a good laugh and said his ASL days were behind him but I was welcome to all his ASL stuff which he had kept. I was somewhat disappointed because I had hoped to play some HASL with him (he only lives 10 minutes away). So, a bit of a bummer on that end, but I am now the happy caretaker of a bunch of long neglected ASL modules. I've filled in with some newer MMP-published items and am ready to jump into the shark pool and give the game another go around.

I've been following along here on Gamesquad for a while. I believe I have the VASL software running and understand the mechanics of that so looking forward to starting a game or two.

SGS

Houlie is a member of this forums that lives near you.

Contact him and see if you can link up.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Hey there folks!! How are you?

I am someone who happened to walked away from Squad Leader 30 years ago when life took over. A few months back I chanced upon a copy of Squad Leader on eBay. That led me to the rediscovery of a whole thriving community of gamers who held on to the faith!

I have recently decided to take the plunge into the world of Advanced Squad Leader. So here I am, and I am very pleased to be with you. Thanks for reading!
Don't forget to contact the HK Society of Wargamers. They have a few committed ASL players.

Earthpig

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi,
I am coming aboard with some Squad Leader and ASL exposure back in the late 70's and 80's (seems like ancient history now). At that time, my brother fully converted to ASL and was trying to get me to learn ordnance and vehicle rules. I was much more comfortable with the programmed instruction aspect of SL and so I never made it very far with ASL. We did however manage an occasional infantry scenario. After a couple decades raising family, etc. I finally pulled out the few dusty Avalon Hill boxes that I owned from the basement and much belatedly told my brother I was finally ready to learn the rest of the rulebook after 25 years!! He had a good laugh and said his ASL days were behind him but I was welcome to all his ASL stuff which he had kept. I was somewhat disappointed because I had hoped to play some HASL with him (he only lives 10 minutes away). So, a bit of a bummer on that end, but I am now the happy caretaker of a bunch of long neglected ASL modules. I've filled in with some newer MMP-published items and am ready to jump into the shark pool and give the game another go around.

I've been following along here on Gamesquad for a while. I believe I have the VASL software running and understand the mechanics of that so looking forward to starting a game or two.

SGS
Snazz where in MN do you live?...are you aware of the Twin Cities ASL club? they/we meet "usually" the second Saturday of each month. May will be our next meeting and a Mini tourney.:)

Harms

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi everyone-

I am new to the GameSquad forums. I live in the Kalamazoo, MI area and have been playing ASL for about 20 years. I got into the game with a friend in FTF mode but now I play on VASL. Currently in RB campaign game as the russians. :cool:

Harms

Count_Zero

Reaction score
First name
Josh
Country
llUnited States
Hi everyone-

I am new to the GameSquad forums. I live in the Kalamazoo, MI area and have been playing ASL for about 20 years. I got into the game with a friend in FTF mode but now I play on VASL. Currently in RB campaign game as the russians. :cool:

Harms
Welcome to our little slice of "pair-a-dice", Harms. Lots of resources here for you. Lots to do and see. Lots of Crazy Trailer Residents to avoid... ;) I'm Josh and I'm an ASL addict... We all are. You'll fit right in.

Willowcrown

Reaction score
Welcome to our little slice of "pair-a-dice", Harms. Lots of resources here for you. Lots to do and see. Lots of Crazy Trailer Residents to avoid... ;) I'm Josh and I'm an ASL addict... We all are. You'll fit right in.
Uncle Drow and I say the same, don't be afraid to ask for help these guys are so silly but are so great too

Nicky

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi everyone-

Harms
Welcome to the mad house. If someone comes along and says he does not live in a trailer, he does. Also wear slip on shoes around him:devious:

Ian

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Welcome to ASL and GameSquad dude, don't forgot to wear rubber, you can wear it wherever, but be forewarned. Also, don't forget the tip on how to make your self water proof.

Cheers...:smoke::laugh:

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Welcome to the mad house. If someone comes along and says he does not live in a trailer, he does. Also wear slip on shoes around him:devious:

Ian
Now Ian,

Just be nice about Psycho, even if he's still in denial about his "living arrangements"......

Harms, we here are all a bunch of "practical jokers", except Vinnie. He's the serious one, ever since he made "The List".......

Ian is a very nice guy and has done many "good" things here for us; even though he NEVER admits to "anything"....... Ian, I'll buy the beer, and a cup of coffee (anything except alcohol)..... That will give you ample opportunity to "piss in my beer"......

Willowcrown

Reaction score
Don't let tme fool you they are all very sweet they have all been so kind to me and Uncle Drow. There is only one person on here that I will not talk to a Sgt something. Like they all have said don't be afraid to ask questions. these guys are so cool.
And mr Kevin easy on the beer lol :devious:

Nicky

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Ian
I resemble that remark!!!!;-)

and it's not slip on shoes, its non - marring shoe covers, silly. the tile on the floors around here is very hard to polish, after all. ( especially in the corners where all that padding sags down from the walls.)

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don't let tme fool you they are all very sweet they have all been so kind to me and Uncle Drow. There is only one person on here that I will not talk to a Sgt something. Like they all have said don't be afraid to ask questions. these guys are so cool.
And mr Kevin easy on the beer lol :devious:

Nicky
I will my dear. Ian promised to urinate in my beer to add "flavorings" to it.... Actually, I think he was just kidding.... Or wuz he? IAN.......

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hmm .. I forgot where I saw someone looking for it but if anyone's looking for a copy of ASL Journal 8, they still have a couple at Wargame Depo. No need to pay the eBay premium! FYI

takai

Reaction score
Country
llSwitzerland
Hi everyone

I am new to the GameSquad forums. I live in Switzerland and dropped out of the ASL community in the 90ies (storing my complete collection of all things ASL safely in the attic). Recently I injured my shoulder and cannot do any mountaineering and climbing for a while. With a lot of free time suddenly available i cleaned out the attic and what do you know ... I discovered my lost treasure.

ASL is a great game and I'm so glad I'm back into it.

And I also just signed up for Itaslia 2013 - so if anyone of you guys is also in attendance: let's have a game :)

Cheers
Daniel

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Good to meet you Daniel. I hope to make the italia con someday. Well that's the one my wife wants to go to. Something about fashion I think.

takai

Reaction score
Country
llSwitzerland
Good to meet you Daniel. I hope to make the italia con someday. Well that's the one my wife wants to go to. Something about fashion I think.
In fact, as soon as I told my wife I was going, she told me she'd join in. At first I was filled with joy: could it be that she would finally succumb to the beauty of ASL? But then I realized that being so close to Milano she would have other plans - and this trip could turn out pretty expensive as well!