New members introduce yourself here

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
Reporting to duty! I am new to ASL. VERY new. will be starting to learn the game from scratch. Full rule book, no locals who play or teach me. I've been wargaming for a long time (mid 80's), and have actively played many "lifestyle" wargames (Europa, World in Flames, etc). Getting into ASL will fill the one huge gap I have in my Grognard / Old School gaming repertoire ... so I am hoping, that ASL won't be as inscrutable as I have been warned ... I hope...

I should be getting the rule book & Beyond Valor in the mail tomorrow... so wish me luck! :)
Welcome aboard! Lots of help to be found here. The ASLRB is pretty inscrutable at first but the game isn't. With some veteran help, you should be able to handle it. And if you're looking for a hand up, VASL can make anyone "local."

S

Gwinnell

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Reporting to duty! I am new to ASL. VERY new. will be starting to learn the game from scratch. Full rule book, no locals who play or teach me. I've been wargaming for a long time (mid 80's), and have actively played many "lifestyle" wargames (Europa, World in Flames, etc). Getting into ASL will fill the one huge gap I have in my Grognard / Old School gaming repertoire ... so I am hoping, that ASL won't be as inscrutable as I have been warned ... I hope...

I should be getting the rule book & Beyond Valor in the mail tomorrow... so wish me luck! :)
Hi
Welcome to Games Squad!
You can ask any questions you want here, no-one will call you a fool for asking.
Did you consider the starter kits?
They can be an excellent intro for ASL.
Just a thought.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Welcome to the Jungle. Nice plac except the chimps, you will soon work out who we, er I mean they are:laugh:

As has been said lots of help to be had and we like new players. Think of this as a family and you get the idea.

Ian

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland

Welcome to the disease. There are many New England ASL types about, especially in Massachusetts.

horseshoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Welcome aboard. Another recruit from the "Repple Depple".....:laugh:

Squeinstein

Recruit
Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome! I received the rules and BV today, so I'll be spending the immediate future digesting the rules, punching and clipping counters, and running some solo set pieces to help me get acclimated. Then... I'll try and get my regular local gaming buddy to give it a whirl. :)

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Thanks for the warm welcome! I received the rules and BV today, so I'll be spending the immediate future digesting the rules, punching and clipping counters, and running some solo set pieces to help me get acclimated. Then... I'll try and get my regular local gaming buddy to give it a whirl. :)
good on ya

however, do not underestimate the value of SK if you are coming into the system cold turkey

guarantee someone is close to help ease you in too

Squeinstein

Recruit
Reaction score
Being a long time wargamer, I know I risked much by publicly declaring my allegiance to clipping. If it helps, I am not one to make my counters into octagonal miniature stop signs... I only take off the barest minimum. A minimal clip. :)

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Being a long time wargamer, I know I risked much by publicly declaring my allegiance to clipping. If it helps, I am not one to make my counters into octagonal miniature stop signs... I only take off the barest minimum. A minimal clip. :)
LOL I really don't mind but yes it is one of the ISSUES that rise on occasion. Only thing for me is the amont of counters you get with ASL means a hell of a lot of clipping once you start

Ian

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I just clipped 10 ASL countersheets and 5 half sheets. I got 25 to go...

I just broke my C4 after 4 years of use....

62nd Army

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Greetings

Welcome to ASL!! Seeing you are from Massachusetts I wanted to extend a warm welcome from all the ASL players on the YASL list and at the Bunker (Dispatches from the Bunker Newsletter). Please check out yasl@yahoogroups.com to get on the YASL mailing list, it will be worth it. Also you are invited to the Bunker on any of the Saturdays we play, 40 to 45 a year, so there are plenty of chances to come out. No need to bring anything, as we are a full service ASL destination. Multiple copies of all things ASL.

If you want information contact me off line at jgochinski at yahoo.com

Happy ASL!!

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hmm, maybe those are from the 3mm cutters? I have the 2mm ones, and the corners don't look that drastic on the 1/2" counters. At least to my eye.
Yes, this is the result of the 3mm punch. Too drastic for me too. I would prefer a 1mm corner. Is there such a thing?

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I don't see either of those images as 'too drastic' of clips. I may have to get one of these things, the nice thing about my C4 (even broke I can still use it on a cutting board) is that I got it down to a science and for 1/2 counters I knock out 7 counters at a time, with 2 needing a slight trim with my toe nail clippers, so I can bang out a sheet in about an hour or two (from start to finish, I cut them off the spruces with an x-acto knife, and then break them apart and stack them and clean them in groups of 7 high 10 across (or 35 counters in one line) in 4 lines or 240 counters, after which I used my x-acto chisel to clip them 4 corners and finish off the last two in groups of piles of 80 or so counters and then I put them in plano's).

Its all part of the hobby you know. And just like the military some are clipped a little more or a little less then perfect...