New members introduce yourself here

Baktru

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
@Mark: I fly to Manila rather a lot as my fiancee lives there. I will let you know if and when I'm in the Philippines again.

@James: I do have to fly to Belfast occasionally for work, will let you know as well. I haven't been there in over a year now though.

@SuperStuG story...

It was in 2005. I flew to Stockholm to attend the ASL tournament there, after having been invited by Commissar Piotr who I played (and lost against) quite a bit on VASL PBEM. After getting thrashed in my first match, I got bracketed against someone who lost his first game as well and the scenario we got was Boeinked (a Schwerpunkt scenario).

My opponent played the British attackers, and had no less than 7 Churchill Tanks and 2 of those tiny Carrier thingies.
I was the German defenders and my AT capability was: A PsK, two AT guns, Panzerfausts and two StuG IIIGs.

The AT guns got one Churchill. PsK took one out as well. One tank bogged far away from the action and stayed immob for the game. A PanzerFaust got one carrier.

But SuperStuG.... It started when the two carriers rushed down the flanks and one got blown up in very small pieces by the StuG. Next turn a Churchill wandered into the sights of the StuG and promptly died as well. So far so good.

As the flank on the right was clearing up and nothing was in sight of the StuG, I decided to go and flank the rest of the enemy assault with it. I started it up, drove to a place where I could hit the rear of a Churchill and the first shot in Bounding Fire took care of its second Churchill. Next enemy turn a Churchill took a shot at the StuGs side armor and hit, but to no effect. StuG turned around and missed, got hit again to no effect and finally killed its 3rd Churchill. And in the end it got a bead on the last remaining Churchill and immobilized it, allowing the PsK squad to get close by and finish it off.

That StuG rolled low on every single shot, and my opponent rolled high whenever he tried to kill that StuG. SuperStuG has been the name of that counter ever since :) I already liked the IIIG before that game, having had some serious fun with it in other scenarios, but that play of Boeinked raised Stug IIIG to my favourite AFV in ASL and it still is. I can't wait for my SASL campaign to hit the period where StuGs IIIG are available :)

servo19

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am fairly new to ASL. I have only been playing solo first with the starter kits and then with a 1st edition rulebook since June. I played Squad Leader a ton when I was in high school but really hadn't played any wargames for the last 20 years. Right now I am walking myself through Elephants Unleashed so I can get a handle on the armor rules.

Unfortunately there is little opportunity for ftf play where I currently live. A little rock in the middle of the Pacific. I am hoping that I might be able to get some playing time with others during a mainland trip after a stint of teaching summer school. Then I will finally be able to figure out everything I am doing wrong now.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I am fairly new to ASL. I have only been playing solo first with the starter kits and then with a 1st edition rulebook since June. I played Squad Leader a ton when I was in high school but really hadn't played any wargames for the last 20 years. Right now I am walking myself through Elephants Unleashed so I can get a handle on the armor rules.

Unfortunately there is little opportunity for ftf play where I currently live. A little rock in the middle of the Pacific. I am hoping that I might be able to get some playing time with others during a mainland trip after a stint of teaching summer school. Then I will finally be able to figure out everything I am doing wrong now.
Welcome aboard the happy train. Yes real life opponents really show you a few things and help straighten a few kinks in your rules knowledge.

If you have reasonable internet speed VASL is the way to go and if the speed is slow you can still play PBEM using the VASL system.

Ian

servo19

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thank you. I've tried to get VASL downloaded but it seems to have problems with my Mac. I'll try it again though.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
To All new members.

PLEASE visit every thread and read the 'entertainment', as well as the good information that is within them.

Oh, BTW, ignore the "Commonwealth Welcome Committee". They're just trying to "lure you in and taste the candy".....

B.E.W.A.R.E......

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
To All new members.

PLEASE visit every thread and read the 'entertainment', as well as the good information that is within them.

Oh, BTW, ignore the "Commonwealth Welcome Committee". They're just trying to "lure you in and taste the candy".....

B.E.W.A.R.E......
or as we say in the Commonwealth sweets and Chocolate. Heathens eat candy.

James Taylor

I love women with brains
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Hey... there is a very, very good ASL player named Josh Seamon who lives in Hawaii. You might not be on the same little rock, but he's definitely worth looking up. He is on VASL regularly, and I very much recommend that you get that setup to use.

JT

Ishcabibble

Recruit
Reaction score
Heyas. I already posted in the LFG forum but thought I'd say hi here as well. I just picked up SK1&2 last week and have been learning......slowly. Played 3 games now with a naive buddy of mine who didn't know what he was getting into with maybe 50-90% rule correctness (too many little things to remember T_T). Lovin' it so far! Feel free to hit me up with a pm if you don't mind playing a game with a total noob :)

--Ish

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Heyas. I already posted in the LFG forum but thought I'd say hi here as well. I just picked up SK1&2 last week and have been learning......slowly. Played 3 games now with a naive buddy of mine who didn't know what he was getting into with maybe 50-90% rule correctness (too many little things to remember T_T). Lovin' it so far! Feel free to hit me up with a pm if you don't mind playing a game with a total noob :)

--Ish
welcome to the madhouse. My dancecard is full but you will fing the oppos you want

Ian

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi all,

I'm not really new as I did play some ASL way back when I still lived in Europe, I even went down to Stockholm once for a Tournament down there. I will never forget my SuperStuG from that weekend :) I live in Singapore now though, and I think the ASL density here is kind of low.

Regards,

B.

Welcome! I have a PBEM opponent who lives in Kowloon district in Hong Kong, this should put him fairly close for maybe a Skype game of VASL. I can forward the e addy to you for him and intro for you if you wish.

regards, Jon H

fhtech

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am Frank Tozier alias fhtech. I have been playing on and since the SL days. More off than on.
That has in the last year. Especially now that I am using VASL.
I thoroughly enjoy ASL. I may not have the best won/loss record but it adds to the learning curve.

Frank

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I am Frank Tozier alias fhtech. I have been playing on and since the SL days. More off than on.
That has in the last year. Especially now that I am using VASL.
I thoroughly enjoy ASL. I may not have the best won/loss record but it adds to the learning curve.

Frank
Hi Frank, enjoy yourself. Lots to learn here.

Ian

Verb

Reaction score
A re-introduction:

I started playing ASL out in Portland,OR in the fall of 2009. I wanted to find opponents in my area so I joined GameSquad and made the screen name BrandonPDX, as PDX is the airport code in Portland. It actually did help me find my first opponent so the name worked... until I moved to Tampa, FL in late 2010. Instead of repeating my mistake and calling myself "BrandonTPA", I went with a name that is part of my email address.

If you remember me, it's not from anything important said, but perhaps from my "Lou Diamond Phillips 6+1" leader avatar and tag of La Bamba(rdment) or the pics I posted of the sweet wooden dual chute dice tower that my dad made for me.

Anyway, I'm loving Tampa, got hooked up with the Schwerpunkt playtest group (really cool guys btw) and I am looking forward to settling down and getting my ASL on.

And as soon as I hit my post count, I'll be sporting my new avatar. One of LDP's co-stars from Young Guns...

Game on!

Verb

Reaction score
Thank you. I've tried to get VASL downloaded but it seems to have problems with my Mac. I'll try it again though.
I had trouble getting VASL to run on my Mac when I first got started. My problem ended with my clearing of a cache of some sort. Post your issues in the VASL folder and I bet they'll have you up and running in no time Good luck!

Baktru

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Welcome! I have a PBEM opponent who lives in Kowloon district in Hong Kong, this should put him fairly close for maybe a Skype game of VASL. I can forward the e addy to you for him and intro for you if you wish.

regards, Jon H
Kowloon? I was there just last January :) Yes that is indeed the same timezone, so that might be handy for a Skype game. Please do :)

With kind regards,

Bjorn