New members introduce yourself here

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Hiya Vlad. Welcome to the forums. Pleased to make your aquaintence.

There is plenty going here, so make yourself at home and join in! :)

By the way, there is a historical module about the battle of Manila in '45 in the works. That may interest you. It may be a few years before its released though.

Jan.

conscriptvlad

Reaction score
Country
llPhilippines
Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm definitely interested in that! I'll be using the time to get the new Rising Sun module and work on the PTO side of ASL.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi all!

New to the forums here! My name is Vlad from Manila, Philippines. Looking forward to meet more ASL players from around the world since there are only very few players here in Manila. I've been playing ASL for 1.5 years occasionaly on saturday weekends. Hope to chat, improve my skills and experience through the VASL tournament games and meet new online friends.

Cheers and Season's Greatings everybody!
Hi Vlad

as Honza said welcome and join in, it's a great place for ASL. Take your time to look around, plenty of places to look and enjoy. All things considered you picked a good time to get into ASL. If you play say once every month you will get to play more than many. Using VASL will allow you to play all around the world either live or PBEM It's a great tool and has allowed me many more games than ever before.

Cheers
Ian

conscriptvlad

Reaction score
Country
llPhilippines
Thanks custardpie! VASL is a great tool indeed. I've used it a few times to play with guys here whenever we have limited time and with a guy (fogrob) from the US. I'm hoping to use it more this coming 2011.

PaKfront

Ansel Petersen 5/8/1914-5/8/ 2002 308 CEB, 83 ID
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi, I am Brian Ogstad I have been playing since 1986. Started with SL. in 2007 I sold off everything and now I am returning as I missed it. Also my 15 year old son want's to play as he enjoys the XBox 360 game "RUSE".
So far I gave bought the 2nd Edition Rule book which today I have been updating with all the Errata. I also ordered BV 3rd Edition Friday. I used to own all the Official MMP stuff and some 3rd Party stuff. Now to start over again:)
I have been laminating things today and printing out and organizing scenarios, placing the rulebook into page protectors.

I think this time I will spray my counters and clip them:)

I also went out today and bought all the Plano necessary for the BV storage :)

Brian

The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to LET THEM SHOOT HOLES IN ME!

Last edited:

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Welcome, Brian! Hopefully my son (or daughter) will want to try this game, too, and grow to love it. Glad to hear an XBox user wants to try a card-board game!

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi, I am Brian Ogstad I have been playing since 1986. Started with SL. in 2007 I sold off everything and now I am returning as I missed it. Also my 15 year old son want's to play as he enjoys the XBox 360 game "RUSE".
So far I gave bought the 2nd Edition Rule book which today I have been updating with all the Errata. I also ordered BV 3rd Edition Friday. I used to own all the Official MMP stuff and some 3rd Party stuff. Now to start over again:)
I have been laminating things today and printing out and organizing scenarios, placing the rulebook into page protectors.

I think this time I will spray my counters and clip them:)

I also went out today and bought all the Plano necessary for the BV storage :)

Brian

The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to LET THEM SHOOT HOLES IN ME!
Welcome back. Hope you are prepared for the rough ride in getting all the stuff again. Don't bother with Partisan or Last Hurrah as these have been - are being, folded into other products. I would say your priority is snatching a copy of Yanks as that will get progresivly harder to get hold of as time marches towards the reprint. At least a good number are in print or around the corner. BV and a few of the others will keep you going meanwhile.

Clipping YUCK!!!!! You might want to google C4 cutter. Might make the clipping YUCK easier.

Ian

PaKfront

Ansel Petersen 5/8/1914-5/8/ 2002 308 CEB, 83 ID
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I BV 3rd Edition I ordered fro the Gamer's Armory arrived today. Was waiting for me when I came home from work. Any harm in laminating the new maps in one piece rather than cutting them?

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I BV 3rd Edition I ordered fro the Gamer's Armory arrived today. Was waiting for me when I came home from work. Any harm in laminating the new maps in one piece rather than cutting them?
I think if you can laminate in one piece that would be better. Keep in mind storage of them (think 60 maps for when you have them all LOL) but cuts back on the risk of cutting accidents etc.

Ian

poisonfrog

Recruit
Reaction score
Hello all , i am new to both this forum and asl i have starter kits 1 and 2 and have been reading the rules on and off for about two months, i live in the northern suburbs of baltimore. If any asl players are out there near me shoot me a pm.

thanks

frog

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Hi Frog. Isn't Baltimore in Maryland? Thats where MMPs base is....You will have a few players near you I should imagine.

Welcome to ASL and the forum.

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
Hi Frog. Isn't Baltimore in Maryland? Thats where MMPs base is....You will have a few players near you I should imagine.

Welcome to ASL and the forum.
Yep...and they're having a little tournament there in a few days... :D

Welcome to ASL, PF.

S

PZchala

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't laminate my boards, but I as I understand it, you need to cut them in half before laminating. Otherwise, you will not be able to match half of one board to half of another.

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
I don't laminate my boards, but I as I understand it, you need to cut them in half before laminating. Otherwise, you will not be able to match half of one board to half of another.
That depends on how much space you have. The only boards that need to abutt at the middle seam are 54 & 55 from AP4, and Chas has said there's a new pair in AP7 that works the same. For most boards, if you have space to lay out the whole boards with "runover," you won't have any issue. I'm not going to fold my map bundle.... But if I were going to laminate, 1/2 boards strikes me as much easier.

S

sarfs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That depends on how much space you have. The only boards that need to abutt at the middle seam are 54 & 55 from AP4, and Chas has said there's a new pair in AP7 that works the same. For most boards, if you have space to lay out the whole boards with "runover," you won't have any issue. I'm not going to fold my map bundle.... But if I were going to laminate, 1/2 boards strikes me as much easier.

S
Just make sure you number the other half of the board if you decide to cut the boards in half.

Dave Booth

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi everyone just landed on the forums after trying to chase all over the net and find people who even know what ASL stands for, I've spent the last four hours chasing youtube leads to anyone who owns anything from the ASL games sets. You might want to pop to the Face-Book Advanced Squad Leader Fan Page I have just created and please like it and show us your support. I want to bring our game to as many as I can and thought the FB would be a great way to get everyone across the globe looking at this amazing game.

I would also like permission to link this amazing forum to the face-book page too so that it drives even more people here and this will help us grow and find gamers around where we live and allow us to game against each other too.

Please feel free to post anything like youtube video's on the page too and I would love to try and have these which show the basics of the game like some I have linked from other gamers who you folks may even know. I look forward to chatting with you all soon and it's great to find so many people who love this game are still supporting it.

I was lucky to roll a double one and find you all.

Mark Humphries

Reaction score
Country
llPhilippines
Welcome Dave!

If you search Facebook for Advanced Squad Leader you'll find there's already a few groups dedicated to ASL on FB, there's one with 788 members and another with 124.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi everyone just landed on the forums after trying to chase all over the net and find people who even know what ASL stands for, I've spent the last four hours chasing youtube leads to anyone who owns anything from the ASL games sets. You might want to pop to the Face-Book Advanced Squad Leader Fan Page I have just created and please like it and show us your support. I want to bring our game to as many as I can and thought the FB would be a great way to get everyone across the globe looking at this amazing game.

I would also like permission to link this amazing forum to the face-book page too so that it drives even more people here and this will help us grow and find gamers around where we live and allow us to game against each other too.

Please feel free to post anything like youtube video's on the page too and I would love to try and have these which show the basics of the game like some I have linked from other gamers who you folks may even know. I look forward to chatting with you all soon and it's great to find so many people who love this game are still supporting it.

I was lucky to roll a double one and find you all.

Hi Dave
Your slap bang in the middle of two groups of players. The liverpool lot are very keen players who are very regular. A couple in Manchester and a ex-Cheshire lad who lives in Lancaster. So if you want FTF you got plenty of chance.

Heroes is just round the corner (March 10th to 13th) at Blackpool. This is a must if you can get down. If you want to stay over the Hotel is low priced (£30 a night B&B) and plenty of games without joining the tournament if you can't make the whole weekend or just want friendly games. I am their Thursday Lunch onwards and not playing in the tournament, nether is my nephew so you have ay least two games waiting for you!!!!

Hope you can make it

Cheers
Ian

PabloGS

Reaction score
Country
llChile
Hi! I've been on and off of asl (well mostly off) for the past decade, but now let's see if this sticks thanks to VASL. Playing Kenn Dunn at WO (and getting trounced of course!) was a good reintroduction into the game.

Cheers, Pablo