New members introduce yourself here

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hello All

My name's Steven and I'm a Noob for posting on here. Been playing ASL since '87. I like this website. I've been enjoying what I've been reading. I posted a question and got a quick response. Thanks for that. Also, look for the post I did on me and my Dad's favorite "House Rule" for playing "covered" scenarios.

That's all - I'm out.
Welcome to the always contentious, never (too) dull GameSquad ASL forums.

Chris

Glowing Slab

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Hello everyone,

I'm a relatively new ASL player. So far I've played all my games of ASL with my old gaming friend, and find myself sitting here reading and re-reading the rules quite often. I'm hoping to come to the ASL Double One in London sometime soon.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I'm a relatively new ASL player. So far I've played all my games of ASL with my old gaming friend, and find myself sitting here reading and re-reading the rules quite often. I'm hoping to come to the ASL Double One in London sometime soon.
Bournemouth Intensive Fire is just a couple of weekends away (I'm not going to make it) but you will have a great time if you can make it there. Most seem Human and some are even nice!!! If you can just go for the day you will want to make the full wekend the next time and Cons are a great place to build up knowledge of the rules and don't worry about the skill gap as nearly all players will want to help you along.

Ian

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hello everyone,

Hi and welcome,

Hi,

I'm new to Gamesquad and have just redisovered ASL (used to play SL back in the early 80's). Having fun trying to track down the stuff I need, and looking for games in my area.
Drop me an email at battleschool@rogers.com and I'll fire off a couple beginner articles to you. They are a useful refresher.

Chris

DukeofLazy

Reaction score
As I sat at work reading ASL articles (why work?) I realized I had never posted a hello even though I read this thread occasionally. I discovered ASL this past Christmas thanks to SK1, although I had actually “heard” of ASL from my German professor a few months before Christmas. I finally graduated (BA History, now on to my MA) at 31 after wife, kids, life, etc. I then dove right in from SK1 through SK3. But, I really wanted to play the full rules. So thanks to a few weeks off in Aug. because of my health (kidney stones suck) and AlanP graciously sending me his 1st ed. RB (thanks my friend!!!!) I read the whole thing and absorbed most; and only wanted more. I have since bought BV (3rd ed.) and have been trying various scenarios (download all on MMP’s website) myself working the rules (over and over) and catching mistakes and questions, basically hands on trying to learn. I have now played through “Gaurds Counterattack” and “Fighting Withdraw”, also “The Puma Prowls”. I bought a poster frame this weekend and have started “To The Square”, only because I can now leave it setup and it has Inf./Guns/ AFVs and I just need to run over every type of play (even OBA which I’m sorta struggling with) I live in West Tennessee (Jackson) between Memphis and Nashville and hope to trek one way or another soon for a real FtF game. Hope to get to a tournament soon just for the large variety I assume I can get out of just playing. Anyway, sorry to ramble, glad to be a fellow addict, thanks guys !

Lee

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
As I sat at work reading ASL articles (why work?) I realized I had never posted a hello even though I read this thread occasionally. I discovered ASL this past Christmas thanks to SK1, although I had actually “heard” of ASL from my German professor a few months before Christmas. I finally graduated (BA History, now on to my MA) at 31 after wife, kids, life, etc. I then dove right in from SK1 through SK3. But, I really wanted to play the full rules. So thanks to a few weeks off in Aug. because of my health (kidney stones suck) and AlanP graciously sending me his 1st ed. RB (thanks my friend!!!!) I read the whole thing and absorbed most; and only wanted more. I have since bought BV (3rd ed.) and have been trying various scenarios (download all on MMP’s website) myself working the rules (over and over) and catching mistakes and questions, basically hands on trying to learn. I have now played through “Gaurds Counterattack” and “Fighting Withdraw”, also “The Puma Prowls”. I bought a poster frame this weekend and have started “To The Square”, only because I can now leave it setup and it has Inf./Guns/ AFVs and I just need to run over every type of play (even OBA which I’m sorta struggling with) I live in West Tennessee (Jackson) between Memphis and Nashville and hope to trek one way or another soon for a real FtF game. Hope to get to a tournament soon just for the large variety I assume I can get out of just playing. Anyway, sorry to ramble, glad to be a fellow addict, thanks guys !

Lee
Welcome! I admire your independent gumption, that would have been a tough way for me to learn.

S

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Hello Lee, welcome aboard. I play solo too at the moment. But I used to have a partner for ASL for about 10 years. Hope you enjoy the journey! lol. ;)

Jeff Waldon

Reaction score
First name
Jeff
Country
llUnited States

Lee
Welcome aboard Lee, I hope to see you around. Maybe Bitter Ender?

Jeff Waldon

chimericany

Recruit
Reaction score
Greetings,

My name is Mike and I am from Long Island, NY. Just starting out with ASL. I played some various Avalon Hill war games back in the 80's, but never got into ASL. Not that I have tons of free time or anything, but figured now is as good a time as any to get into ASL. I especially look forward to playing it with my Dad, a retired army general with 40 years service. The more research I do, the more confusing the various components, versions, dependencies, etc. become. So, I was hoping that some kind veteran ASLers would be willing to give me their input on the below planned/possible purchases. I am trying to balance being a fanatic about completeness and understanding that with ASL it is important to get things while they are available with not really wanting to purchase something I can't use with with the components I will have.

ASLSK #1 & #2 - Planning to purchase, figure best to start out slow.

ASLSK #3 - Would purchase if I could find one...

Rulebook 2nd Edition - Will purchase

Beyond Valor 3rd Edition - Will purchase

Valor of the Guards - Will purchase

Yanks - Would love to get, but can't find it anywhere (online at least). I am a bit concerned that not having this will impede usage of other modules/packs.

King & Country - Will sign up for pre-order

Armies of Oblivion - Would get if could find it in stock - assuming I could play it with the components indicated I will be purchasing.

Doomed Battalions 3rd Edition - I will buy if usable with the components I will have?

Croix de Guerre - I am able to purchase used copy privately for $70-$80. Will this be usable with the components I plan to purchase? Is this a decent price?

Any feedback on the above would be greatly appreciated. Also, anything else particularly recommended (i.e. journals, scenarios, etc.)? I plan on taking my time with learning the game and enjoying the ride over the coming years.

Thanks,

Mike

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi Mike

I would get SK 1 and 2, aso 2nd ed rules and BV. Yanks is still possible to get either e-bay or some game store that has had it years but will not be re-released for some time yet so if you see it get it. Same goes for the French Mod, at that price I assume it's unpunched but as long as it is complete you wont go to far wrong as by the time it gets reprinted you could sell it for a profit. My point here is that if ASL turns out not to be for you at least you can get rid of your stash for something like you paid for it. You really want to find someone who knows the game to play against, ease the pain of learning. You will quickly work out if it's worth the price tag and if it is buy all you can afford to get that is official. After that you can get what ever Third Party floats your boat. The intresting thing is that many of the official Mods don't get that many of the scenario's played from these days as the Journals and TPP scenario packs get the lions share.

If you see action packs they are well worth getting for the boards and scenario's, the East Front and France 1944 ones in particular have many great scenario's.

I wish you luck in this game, it is a great way of blowing the kids inhertance LOL

Ian

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Greetings,

My name is Mike and I am from Long Island, NY. Just starting out with ASL. I played some various Avalon Hill war games back in the 80's, but never got into ASL. Not that I have tons of free time or anything, but figured now is as good a time as any to get into ASL. I especially look forward to playing it with my Dad, a retired army general with 40 years service. The more research I do, the more confusing the various components, versions, dependencies, etc. become. So, I was hoping that some kind veteran ASLers would be willing to give me their input on the below planned/possible purchases. I am trying to balance being a fanatic about completeness and understanding that with ASL it is important to get things while they are available with not really wanting to purchase something I can't use with with the components I will have.

ASLSK #1 & #2 - Planning to purchase, figure best to start out slow.

ASLSK #3 - Would purchase if I could find one...

Rulebook 2nd Edition - Will purchase

Beyond Valor 3rd Edition - Will purchase

Valor of the Guards - Will purchase

Yanks - Would love to get, but can't find it anywhere (online at least). I am a bit concerned that not having this will impede usage of other modules/packs.

King & Country - Will sign up for pre-order

Armies of Oblivion - Would get if could find it in stock - assuming I could play it with the components indicated I will be purchasing.

Doomed Battalions 3rd Edition - I will buy if usable with the components I will have?

Croix de Guerre - I am able to purchase used copy privately for $70-$80. Will this be usable with the components I plan to purchase? Is this a decent price?

Any feedback on the above would be greatly appreciated. Also, anything else particularly recommended (i.e. journals, scenarios, etc.)? I plan on taking my time with learning the game and enjoying the ride over the coming years.

Thanks,

Mike
Most modules are for for sale via e-bay. Just monitor the prices to get a feel for values. As always with e-bay, prices fluctuate from so-so to ridiculous.

Modules also come up for sale via this forum , via consimworld or boardgame geek where prices tend to be more reasonable.

The older historical modules tend to be the most expensive with no sign of the prices getting any lower. Be prepared to dig deep if you feel you can't live without them. 2 or 3 years ago I sold an extra copy of Blood Reef Tarawa on e-bay for no more than retail price. Today it would be 5-6 times retail....:OHNO:

As long as you have the scenarios and the rules you can play almost any published scenario or CG online using VASL where you get the entire ASL OB and mapset for free:smoke::smoke:

Cheers

Paul

Last edited:

ASLJames

Reaction score
Country
ll
Hi

im new to the forum dont know if you guys are still talking about new guys or got on to something more interesting didnt get to read all the posts i fell asleep half way through reading them and decided to add my post there and then ;) (Joke):laugh: but anyway i look forward to talking to you lot more

ASLJames

Gwinnell

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi

im new to the forum dont know if you guys are still talking about new guys or got on to something more interesting didnt get to read all the posts i fell asleep half way through reading them and decided to add my post there and then ;) (Joke):laugh: but anyway i look forward to talking to you lot more

ASLJames
Hello ASLJames.
New guys are always welcome and if you have any questions then this forum is the place to ask them.
There is always someone who will take the time to reply so don't think your question is not 'interesting'

Again Welcome :)

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Hi James,

Welcome to the forum. May I ask where Newton is? Is it in the good ol' US of A? Hope to see you around!

Jan.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi James,

Welcome to the forum. May I ask where Newton is? Is it in the good ol' US of A? Hope to see you around!

Jan.
Jan the Newton he lives in is a village in Derbyshire, so one could say you could well see him one day (especially if you was to go to Hero's this year LOL)

He is my main FTF opponent and he will be making the trip to Blackpool for the first time in March.

Ian

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Sounds cool. Why are there so many ASL players up north? There are hardly any near me in Oxfordshire....