New members introduce yourself here

Dave Reyes

Recruit
Reaction score
Hey guys I've been ghosting the forums for a while now.I've been playing ASL since about '88 with a small group in Northern Ca.My usual opponents have gradually slunk away from ASL and are now into WOW and RC cars.I'm about to load up VASL and after my semester ends in the middle of December I'll be ready play. I'll check back shortly.
email-davepreyes@msn.com
galleries-davidpreyes.moonfruit.com

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hey guys I've been ghosting the forums for a while now.I've been playing ASL since about '88 with a small group in Northern Ca.My usual opponents have gradually slunk away from ASL and are now into WOW and RC cars.I'm about to load up VASL and after my semester ends in the middle of December I'll be ready play. I'll check back shortly.
email-davepreyes@msn.com
galleries-davidpreyes.moonfruit.com
welcome aboard, good luck with VASL, it is worth the effort if you do have problems. Check out the VASL page and ask there for help if you get stuck

Cheers
Ian

Bhut

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Hello all again,

Im not new to this forum been here before but life/wifes and divorces have got in the way.

I finally managed to get a copy of beyond valor to go with my rule book and various modules I horded without the X knowing! So really looking forward to that dropping on the door step.

Right back to lurking!

Cheers

Ian

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hello all again,

Im not new to this forum been here before but life/wifes and divorces have got in the way.

I finally managed to get a copy of beyond valor to go with my rule book and various modules I horded without the X knowing! So really looking forward to that dropping on the door step.

Right back to lurking!

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian

PM sent in case you want to meet up, just click on the CP button to get at them (if you don't know)

Cheers
Ian

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Hey, you two are pretty close to each other are you not? Or have I got my geography wrong?

pferraro

Recruit
Reaction score
What the heck kind of place is this? I mean, really...

- There is no sub-forum for Idaho Insults.

- I've been here for 5 minutes and no one has offered me a drink.

- Who the hell is 'General Discussion'? Is he at least a 9-2?

- Where are the rocking chairs?

Paul Ferraro
"Civilization stopped advancing with the death of the Spuddy Awards".

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
What the heck kind of place is this? I mean, really...

- There is no sub-forum for Idaho Insults.

- I've been here for 5 minutes and no one has offered me a drink.

- Who the hell is 'General Discussion'? Is he at least a 9-2?

- Where are the rocking chairs?

Paul Ferraro
"Civilization stopped advancing with the death of the Spuddy Awards".
Hello Paul,

Your name sounds familiar. You are obviously an old ASL grognard. Haven't you done some designing too? Well anyway, welcome to the forum. Pull up a rocking chair, have a malt whiskey, talk to our dear friend General Discussion and drop into the canteen to be insulted! lol. :D

todd.jayhawk

Recruit
Reaction score
I'm new to the forum and new to ASLSK1 - just got it today in the mail! The TD of the St Louis Tournament is going to teach me the game this week and I'll be joining the group for a Saturday gaming this month as well. I'm excited to see how it goes.

btw, custardpie: I'm a little jealous of your tagline of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory - I think I could adopt that statement myself.

Last edited:

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I'm new to the forum and new to ASLSK1 - just got it today in the mail! The TD of the St Louis Tournament is going to teach me the game this week and I'll be joining the group for a Saturday gaming this month as well. I'm excited to see how it goes.

btw, custardpie: I'm a little jealous of your tagline of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory - I think I could adopt that statement myself.
I'm happy to share it with you, just wish my opponents would do so more:devious:

Glad you joined us and hope you enjoy the game, I've had more fun with it than any number of pointy sticks and tigers in cages:D

JVan

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello everyone. A friend told me about this website and I've been lurking for quite a while. I began playing SL in the early 80's and then graduated to ASL when it came out. Played a lot for several years until all my opponents moved away. I'm finally back in the position where I have a regular opponent again. Life is good.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hello everyone. A friend told me about this website and I've been lurking for quite a while. I began playing SL in the early 80's and then graduated to ASL when it came out. Played a lot for several years until all my opponents moved away. I'm finally back in the position where I have a regular opponent again. Life is good.
It's a nice feeling is it not?

Welcome back

Cheers
Ian

ASL Maineiac

Reaction score
Life is good, when you have a regular ASL opponent! Welcome back and enjoy the forums.

JohnT

Recruit
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I stumbled upon this site while googling stuff about ASL. I started with SL ca. 1979 then of course went to COI, COD, GI AOV, then finally ASL in 85. I "retired" in 94 and didn't play hardly at all, maybe two games, throughout all this time. So now I'm thinking about getting back into it.

I've read the "flame topics to avoid" in the stickies. Some points are interesting from philosophical point of view such as the business about the black counters for the SS for example. Anyway, here I'm mostly just going to be asking rule questions, try find out what MMP is up to on certain modules, asking opinions (one would be: what's your opinion on this ASL stuff made by Wild Bill Wilder?), that sort of thing.

While I'm at it I'd like to mention that I have gotten into a game (a little bit) called This Accursed Civil War (GMT) but what's neat is that a few folks over at GMT Games use a voice server along with the program Ventrilo right along with the Vassal server to give live demonstrations of games like This Accursed Civil War. Thus newbies can synchronize to the game and watch it unfold in real time on the Vassal server plus hear all the commentary of the players over the voice server using Ventrilo (assuming they have the client programs). And they can post questions to the players about moves they make, etc. I did just that last night - pretty cool. I don't know if anyone could implement such a thing here for ASL, but it's an interesting thought.

Last edited:

jonPhillips

Reaction score
Country
ll
(one would be: what's your opinion on this ASL stuff made by Wild Bill Wilder?)
My opinion would be wholly unsuitable for a family audience, but if you'd like to read an independent review of Wilder's 'stuff', go take a look here. That pretty much covers it.

Other than that, welcome to the forum.

ASL Maineiac

Reaction score