New members introduce yourself here

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi, just getting here. I'm hoping to get caught back up with the game after blowing a few years' worth of dust off of my stuff. ;D

Looking forward to getting back into the game and giving VASL a try.
Welcome to Game Squad

VASL is a great way to get games in. If you get skype running it is close to FTF and PBEM is a good way to knock the rust off as you can keep stopping to check a rule without worring about your opponent getting fed up

Cheers
Ian

hildaburg

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey forum. I'm taking a straw poll - what's your favorite ww2 tank -as portrayed by ASL?
I don't mean what you think is the best tank (although that could be your criteria) since that leads to an endless debate and pistols at sunrise, but what is your favorite. I've always had a soft spot for the Stuart/Honey. Speedy and sneaky, I always have fun annoying opponents with it. And isn't that the real reason we live, er play, this game?

General Mayhem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hello to all,

I thought I would introduce myself as I intend making some posts. I am 53, retired and live in Taunton, Somerset, UK. I have been playing wargames since the 70s and have a few on my shelves (some un-punched).

As far as ASL is concerned I have been playing for a few years, but only against one opponent, one of my brothers. We are working our way through the core modules and are currently playing Scenario 86. We live in different parts of the country and don’t get together that much so the process is a little slow. We have recently discovered VASL and have started on the scenarios from the Annuals and Journals, currently playing A4 from the 1989 Annual (how are the Americans supposed to win?).

Unfortunately at the rate we are getting through the scenarios I reckon I will be in my late 80s (if I am lucky) before we get on to the campaign games.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hello to all,

I thought I would introduce myself as I intend making some posts. I am 53, retired and live in Taunton, Somerset, UK. I have been playing wargames since the 70s and have a few on my shelves (some un-punched).

As far as ASL is concerned I have been playing for a few years, but only against one opponent, one of my brothers. We are working our way through the core modules and are currently playing Scenario 86. We live in different parts of the country and don’t get together that much so the process is a little slow. We have recently discovered VASL and have started on the scenarios from the Annuals and Journals, currently playing A4 from the 1989 Annual (how are the Americans supposed to win?).

Unfortunately at the rate we are getting through the scenarios I reckon I will be in my late 80s (if I am lucky) before we get on to the campaign games.
There was another player in Taunton about 6 months back but I think he was moving back to America. Maybe you should try to get to Intensive Fire in a couple of weeks time. Great oppertunity to get some more games in.

Good to see another Brit on the forrum

Cheers
Ian

General Mayhem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
There was another player in Taunton about 6 months back but I think he was moving back to America. Maybe you should try to get to Intensive Fire in a couple of weeks time. Great oppertunity to get some more games in.

Good to see another Brit on the forrum

Cheers
Ian
Hi Ian,

I have been thinking about going to one of these ASL tournaments for some time. It is a bit short notice now for me to get to Intensive Fire, checked out the hotel on line and it appears there are no rooms at the inn in any case. I am not sure my play is fast enough for the tournaments yet, my plan is to try and get some games in on Vasl versus opponents other than my brother to get some idea of the speed of play that others are used to.

So in the near future I will be posting on the Opponents wanted section.

As a matter of interest when attending these tournaments I assume that each player plans in advance the scenarios that he intends playing and bring along the necessary counters and boards and dreaded dice?

Pete

General Mayhem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Well, ROAR (http://www.jrvdev.com/ROAR/VER1/default.asp ) has it at 8 American wins to 21 German wins, which is indicative of a bit of a barker....
Tend to agree. I think Americans have to get very lucky with their BAZ and ART. So far one Pz went up in flames to a CH from ART and another has been recalled due to MA breakdown, but the other two have made a dash for it and survived my BAZ fire at 2 hex range and are poised to get off the board on GT7, might try my hand at an AAR after its all over, which could be soon.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi Ian,

I have been thinking about going to one of these ASL tournaments for some time. It is a bit short notice now for me to get to Intensive Fire, checked out the hotel on line and it appears there are no rooms at the inn in any case. I am not sure my play is fast enough for the tournaments yet, my plan is to try and get some games in on Vasl versus opponents other than my brother to get some idea of the speed of play that others are used to.

So in the near future I will be posting on the Opponents wanted section.

As a matter of interest when attending these tournaments I assume that each player plans in advance the scenarios that he intends playing and bring along the necessary counters and boards and dreaded dice?

Pete
Hi Pete
It is short notice but you are retired so should be able to swing it:clown:

I know others are staying at a hotel accross the way Bishop's Langley Hotel so you could check them out.

Don't worry about speed of play and no reason to join in the tournament, plenty of players just turn up for fun. Also no reason to go for the full period, I'm hoping to go for just two days (Thursday and Friday).

Conventions just allow you to learn more of the system, things you have done wrong for years get exposed and add to your skills but the main reason is the fun of it.

Blackpool was my first one, I took all my maps and all counters with a select few scenario's, though I only went for the day. In the end I only played one scenario (a big one) and spent the evening just soaking up the game.

VASL is a great tool. I've only played one live game thus far, must get something sorted to play again. Getting Skype makes it even better and it's free. I play mostly PBEM on VASL and whilst it is slow, especially on big games its also lots of fun.

Lurch104

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

Brand new to the game and forum. Working my way through SK1, but have also been purchasing/pre-ordering full ASL core modules as I can. I have been reading the rules, following along with podcast play (newbie-do), and the wonderful guide on BGG. The more I get into it, the more I don't care to play my other games.

I am looking forward to F2F play in the Harrisburg, PA area soon or maybe a trip South to the DC Conscripts as I work in York PA. I have looked at vasl a few times, but have not had much success.

Take Care,

John

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hello Everyone!

Brand new to the game and forum. Working my way through SK1, but have also been purchasing/pre-ordering full ASL core modules as I can. I have been reading the rules, following along with podcast play (newbie-do), and the wonderful guide on BGG. The more I get into it, the more I don't care to play my other games.

I am looking forward to F2F play in the Harrisburg, PA area soon or maybe a trip South to the DC Conscripts as I work in York PA. I have looked at vasl a few times, but have not had much success.

Take Care,

John
welcome aboard.

Don't give up on VASL, what is your problems, loading or playing?

If it's loading you can get help in the VASL thread. Most comon problem is loading up the boards and putting them in the right places. Playing it well the best way to learn is play a few solo then get hooked up with someone via opponents wanted, state your new to the game and vasal and you will get someone willing and able to get you started

Cheers
Ian

Rgirish

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello Everyone!

Take Care,

John
Welcome to the board, AND to ASL. I know what you mean about losing interest in other games. I try to play one of my others every now and again, but I generally can't keep them on my game table for too long, as I have to get back to ASL. As for FtF play, you should try to attend Winter Offensive in January. It's probably about a 2 hour drive from Harrisburg. I played my first FtF games there last year, and learned quite a bit about the game. I'm right down the road from you in Maryland. If you need help with VASL, I'll be glad to do what I can for you.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Welcome to the board, AND to ASL. I know what you mean about losing interest in other games. I try to play one of my others every now and again, but I generally can't keep them on my game table for too long, as I have to get back to ASL. As for FtF play, you should try to attend Winter Offensive in January. It's probably about a 2 hour drive from Harrisburg. I played my first FtF games there last year, and learned quite a bit about the game. I'm right down the road from you in Maryland. If you need help with VASL, I'll be glad to do what I can for you.
Rick's a great VASL opponent as he has a great sense of humour and is a gent to play against.

Rick if I tunnel out of this pile of paperwork I will log some more deverstating Polish fier on you :p

Rgirish

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ian,

Thanks as always for the kind words. I have all of my Germans waiting patiently to succumb to more of your Polish lead, whenever you are able to dish it out!!

Rick

hondo nelson

Recruit
Reaction score
Hello all I'm have been a member of the us army for 25yrs. i'm a new player to asl i started playing squad leader in the early 80s and stoped in 88 when i went too germany was on ebay and saw all the asl that was for sale did a search and found the clubs in san antino and austin tx in jan
now in a asl junky

hondo

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hello all I'm have been a member of the us army for 25yrs. i'm a new player to asl i started playing squad leader in the early 80s and stoped in 88 when i went too germany was on ebay and saw all the asl that was for sale did a search and found the clubs in san antino and austin tx in jan
now in a asl junky

hondo
Hi Hondo

soon you will be a gamesquad junkie too. It's a great place to find oponents and get excited about new and old ASL crack

jgkeene

Recruit
Reaction score
It’s all because of a new stove.

Gas stove, so I had to shut it all off before pulling the old one and installing the new one. Which meant getting into the crawl space to re-light the water heater. Finishing that, I notice the flue is out of whack and needs to be fixed (not fond of CO poisoning).

So I rig a clip light and get to work. Cleaning up afterwards, I notice a stack of plastic storage boxes back in a corner of the crawl space that tugged at something in my memory. Looking in the top one I find Up Front! and Banzai! and a few issues of The Avalon Hill General. Fun times!

Next one down, I pry open the lid and staring up at me is the cover of Red Barricades.

To back up a bit, I had played Squad Leader (badly) ever since it was new. Got into ASL with no improvement. Had collected every module up to KGP I when I pulled up roots and took a job in Dallas for a year. Upon moving back I thought I had left the ASL-related stuff behind and given it up for lost.

However, now that I realize I still have it and plan on elbowing my way into the Texas ASL scene here, especially at the upcoming Mag-Con. But one of nagging question remains: Will I need anything other than a new ASLRB?

Thanks,

James

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
It’s all because of a new stove.

Gas stove, so I had to shut it all off before pulling the old one and installing the new one. Which meant getting into the crawl space to re-light the water heater. Finishing that, I notice the flue is out of whack and needs to be fixed (not fond of CO poisoning).

So I rig a clip light and get to work. Cleaning up afterwards, I notice a stack of plastic storage boxes back in a corner of the crawl space that tugged at something in my memory. Looking in the top one I find Up Front! and Banzai! and a few issues of The Avalon Hill General. Fun times!

Next one down, I pry open the lid and staring up at me is the cover of Red Barricades.

To back up a bit, I had played Squad Leader (badly) ever since it was new. Got into ASL with no improvement. Had collected every module up to KGP I when I pulled up roots and took a job in Dallas for a year. Upon moving back I thought I had left the ASL-related stuff behind and given it up for lost.

However, now that I realize I still have it and plan on elbowing my way into the Texas ASL scene here, especially at the upcoming Mag-Con. But one of nagging question remains: Will I need anything other than a new ASLRB?

Thanks,

James
Hi James

yep a whole lot of time LOL.

A few things have come out since Piper but the 2nd ed of the rules is the only item you really need. Though it is worth picking up the minors mods as some really cool scenario's are out there for them (as well as what you get). Third Party Products have come a long way recently and you will discover this in your FTF meets.

Welcome back and enjoy

Cheers
Ian

Thomas Beach

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Greetings,

I am located in SE Wisconsin, near Milwaukee. I was a hardcore gamer from the 1970's until 1990 when I dropped out completely. I was an especially devout SL player and still own the entire series. I have reentered gaming just a year ago, hooking up with a bi-monthly group and have found myself wanting to start playing either SL again, or ASL. I am investigating SQLA while also attempting to get involved with the ASL community. Looking forward to learning much here and perhaps striking up a good PBEM/VASL game along the way.

Sincerely,

Thomas Beach