New members introduce yourself here

AZslim

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Old Friend here, David is one of my ASL buddies from way back....and the original author of "The Geometry of ASL" probably the most useful ASL article ever written.
The Author of "The Geometry of ASL!" I agree with Fort. I use it EVERY game. I would like some clarification on the vertex part, though.

Welcome, Dude.

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
I didn't realize I hadn't done this....

Spencer Armstrong, from Chicago, live in Toronto. The move (a year ago) and VASL have re-launched my ASL career which started in college in the mid-90s when my best friend and I taught ourselves SL. Made the jump to ASL a couple years later. Moves, real life and occasional gaming rabbit-trails have interrupted the path, but ASL is the only game I keep coming back to. Several VASL opponents now means I think I'm back for good.

S

martyyoung1

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Hi - My names Marty and I am trying to learn ASL. I bought the Rules, BV and Yanks and then decided to try the starter kits however only SK3 was available and I am now waiting patiently for SK1. I know all the rules are there but I still think i might find it easier to start with the first (and i want the maps!) Even if I never really learn I have an awful craving to get all the modules it really is a terrible affliction! Any tips on learning much appreciated - except getting a buddy to teach me as i have no mates who play and as this is Northern Ireland there are probably only 3 guys who have even heard of board games!!

aiabx

Same as it ever was
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Spencer Armstrong, from Chicago, live in Toronto. The move (a year ago) and VASL have re-launched my ASL career which started in college in the mid-90s when my best friend and I taught ourselves SL. Made the jump to ASL a couple years later. Moves, real life and occasional gaming rabbit-trails have interrupted the path, but ASL is the only game I keep coming back to. Several VASL opponents now means I think I'm back for good.
Hi Spencer-
If you ever show up at one of the Toronto Area Boardgaming Society's quarterly minicons, maybe we can get together for a scenario or two. You can see the anguish in real life with a face-to-face scenario!
-Andy

Rgirish

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Welcome aboard Marty! If you go to the MMP website, there is a link to a series of article by Jim Stahler which could help you learn the game. These attempt to teach the game through a "programmed instruction" method, as opposed to reading all of the rules before playing any scenarios. Give it a shot!

Gwinnell

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi,
I started with SL four years ago having been introduced to it by my mate Tony.
We worked our way through the modules and moved on to ASL after GI.
We have played most of BV, Para, WoA and getting to the end of CoB. I am trying to get some of my gaming friends involved and have played some SK scenarios with one of them.
Tony and I play weekly but have only ever played each other!
I have watched the forums for a while now and thought it was about time I joined in.
I have most of the modules and my wife gives me grief about the paypal bills.

Gavin

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Hi - My names Marty and I am trying to learn ASL. I bought the Rules, BV and Yanks and then decided to try the starter kits however only SK3 was available and I am now waiting patiently for SK1. I know all the rules are there but I still think i might find it easier to start with the first (and i want the maps!) Even if I never really learn I have an awful craving to get all the modules it really is a terrible affliction! Any tips on learning much appreciated - except getting a buddy to teach me as i have no mates who play and as this is Northern Ireland there are probably only 3 guys who have even heard of board games!!
Hi Marty, I know what you mean about the lack of gaming partners. This is civilised Oxford here and there is nothing but ignorant students about, lol. :clown: Very few ASLers around here too.

Hi,
I started with SL four years ago having been introduced to it by my mate Tony.
We worked our way through the modules and moved on to ASL after GI.
We have played most of BV, Para, WoA and getting to the end of CoB. I am trying to get some of my gaming friends involved and have played some SK scenarios with one of them.
Tony and I play weekly but have only ever played each other!
I have watched the forums for a while now and thought it was about time I joined in.
I have most of the modules and my wife gives me grief about the paypal bills.

Gavin
Hi Gavin, Welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy joining in with our crazy discussions. Jan.

Memenne

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
Hi,

First, please apologize for my english "rich" of many mistakes... (french is my mother tongue)
I'll do my best to preserve your beautiful language. Feel free to show me the right way when I'm wrong !

My name is Manu De Wit. I live in Belgium, Brussels and play ASL since 2003 (more or less). I have all I need to play the game, even an American opponent right here in Brussels ! So, I'm a happy man. :laugh:

See you !
Manu

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi,

First, please apologize for my english "rich" of many mistakes... (french is my mother tongue)
I'll do my best to preserve your beautiful language. Feel free to show me the right way when I'm wrong !

My name is Manu De Wit. I live in Belgium, Brussels and play ASL since 2003 (more or less). I have all I need to play the game, even an American opponent right here in Brussels ! So, I'm a happy man. :laugh:

See you !
Manu
Hi Manu and welcome to the forum. Lots of ASL information and fun. Those Yanks get everywhere don't they?:laugh:

Cheers
Ian

jonPhillips

Reaction score
Country
ll
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum, but not ASL... I first started with BV around 1987 and am just re-starting playing after a 5 year break. Re-reading the rulebook, it's amazing how much I still remember and even more amazing at how much I've forgotten.

I'm based just outside Thame in Oxfordshire, so a big hello from (currently sunny) England :ciao:

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum, but not ASL... I first started with BV around 1987 and am just re-starting playing after a 5 year break. Re-reading the rulebook, it's amazing how much I still remember and even more amazing at how much I've forgotten.

I'm based just outside Thame in Oxfordshire, so a big hello from (currently sunny) England :ciao:
Hi Jon

welcome aboard, nice to see another Brit join the ranks, are you going to Intensive Fire next month?

Cheers
Ian

jonPhillips

Reaction score
Country
ll
Hi Jon

welcome aboard, nice to see another Brit join the ranks, are you going to Intensive Fire next month?

Cheers
Ian
Not this year unfortunately. I went to the first three Intensive Fire's, but haven't made one since. Maybe next year...

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Not this year unfortunately. I went to the first three Intensive Fire's, but haven't made one since. Maybe next year...
Hi Jon,

I sent you a PM (private message). I'm based in Oxfordshire too. If you fancy a meet up for a game or beer just let me know. ;)

Jan.

pwashington

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Figured I would finally jump in. I actually signed up a few weeks back and have been lurking ever since - lots of good stuff here. I'm a 47-yr-old retired Army officer who started with SL in the late 70's in high school. I finished college and got my commission about the time ASL started coming out. I kept up with the AH production until about GH, then the career and starting a family took prioirty. I never really got a chance to get into ASL, but have kept everything I bought, and have spent the last few months (finally) picking-up the stuff that I missed. I've been encouraged that the ASL community is still going strong, despite the dark days in the 90's, and hope to be more active in the DC area where I now live (I think the 'Scripts club is the closest one). It's been fun to read posts from some of the folks who have been contributors in the community, and I never realized how much free stuff is out there. I don't know that I'll be able to contribute a lot right now, but will be an interested observer at a minimum.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Figured I would finally jump in. I actually signed up a few weeks back and have been lurking ever since - lots of good stuff here. I'm a 47-yr-old retired Army officer who started with SL in the late 70's in high school. I finished college and got my commission about the time ASL started coming out. I kept up with the AH production until about GH, then the career and starting a family took prioirty. I never really got a chance to get into ASL, but have kept everything I bought, and have spent the last few months (finally) picking-up the stuff that I missed. I've been encouraged that the ASL community is still going strong, despite the dark days in the 90's, and hope to be more active in the DC area where I now live (I think the 'Scripts club is the closest one). It's been fun to read posts from some of the folks who have been contributors in the community, and I never realized how much free stuff is out there. I don't know that I'll be able to contribute a lot right now, but will be an interested observer at a minimum.
welcome aboard, it's a good place to lurk:)

Don't worry it's not all about contributing, we do that by being here anyway.

Cheers
Ian

FanaticTW

World Famous in Maine
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello gents.. I'm new to gamesquad but not new to ASL.... been playing for over fifteen years. I used to be a regular attendee of ASLOK, but alas, family life got in the way. ( I hope to return in a year or two) (shhh don't tell the wife!) :D
I have been to a WO in recent years (06) and I always get to the Noreaster in Mass. every spring.
It looks like I've met lots of you and I'm looking forward to some vibrant discussions of ASL!

thanks

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Hello gents.. I'm new to gamesquad but not new to ASL.... been playing for over fifteen years. I used to be a regular attendee of ASLOK, but alas, family life got in the way. ( I hope to return in a year or two) (shhh don't tell the wife!) :D
I have been to a WO in recent years (06) and I always get to the Noreaster in Mass. every spring.
It looks like I've met lots of you and I'm looking forward to some vibrant discussions of ASL!

thanks
Hi There, Welcome aboard. :D Vibrant discussions of ASL is certainly what you will find here...lol. They can get a bit frisky at times!
What is your user name based on? Is it Fanatic Tractor Works - as in the factory in Stalingrad? Just wondering... :)
Hope to see you around, Jan.

Moriarty35

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi, just getting here. I'm hoping to get caught back up with the game after blowing a few years' worth of dust off of my stuff. ;D

Looking forward to getting back into the game and giving VASL a try.