New members introduce yourself here

avl90

Reaction score
Combat Mission had abstracted micro-terrain. Unfortunately the effect was an over-generous granting of cover for infantry in every bit of open ground. There simply was no field too open to cross, as long as you used the right movement command. Dead ground does *not* exist in Combat Mission.

I'm hesitant to fork out the cash for the rule book without knowing all the rules first. Kinda a catch 22. :)

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Well no one is going to be able to give you the rules, you could pick up a first edition copy for relative cheap (40 or so).

Here is a general outline to give you a rough idea:

A. INFANTRY AND BASIC GAME RULES
ORDER OF PRESENTATION:

1. Personnel Counters
2. The Mapboard
3. Basic Sequence of Play
4. Infantry Movement
5. Stacking Limits
6. Line of Sight (LOS)
7. Fire Attacks
8. Defensive Fire Principles
9. Machine Guns & SW Malfunction
10. Morale
11. Close Combat (CC)
12. Concealment
13. Cavalry
14. Snipers
15. Heat of Battle
16. Battlefield Integrity
17. Wounds
18. Field Promotions
19. Unit Substitution
20. Prisoners
21. Captured Equipment
22. Flamethrowers & Molotov Cocktails
23. Demolition Charges
24. SMOKE
25. Nationality Distinctions
26. Victory Conditions

B. TERRAIN
ORDER OF PRESENTATION:

1. Open Ground
2. Shellholes
3. Roads
4. Sunken Road
5. Elevated Road
6. Bridges
7. Runways
8. Sewers & Tunnels
9. Walls & Hedges
10. Hills
11. Cliffs
12. Brush
13. Woods
14. Orchard
15. Grain
16. Marsh
17. Crag
18. Graveyard
19. Gullies
20 Streams & Crest Status
21. Water Obstacles
22. Valley
23. Buildings
24. Rubble
25. Fire
26. Wire
27. Entrenchments
28. Minefields
29. Roadblocks
30. Pillboxes
31. Village Terrain
32. Railroads
33. Stream-Hex Terrain
34. Towers

C. ORDNANCE & OFFBOARD ARTILLERY (OBA)
ORDER OF PRESENTATION:

1. Offboard Artillery (OBA)
2. Gun Classifications
3. The To Hit Process
4. Gun & Ammo Type Basic TH# Modifications
5. Firer-Based Hit Determination DRM
6. Target-Based Hit Determination DRM
7. To Kill Tables
8. Special Ammunition
9. Mortars
10. Gun & Ammo Movement
11. Guns as Targets
12. Recoilless Rifles (RCL)
13. Light Anti-Tank Weapons (LATW)

D.VEHICLES
ORDER OF PRESENTATION:

1. Vehicle Counters
2. Vehicular Movement
3. AFV Combat
4. Terrain Modifications to Anti-Vehicle Fire
5. Inherent Crew
6. Transporting Personnel
7. Overruns (OVR)
8. Immobilization & Bog
9. Vehicles as Cover
10. Wrecks
11. Gyrostabiliers & Schuerzen
12. Horse-Drawn Transport
13. Vehicular Smoke Dispensers
14. Radioless AFV
15.Motorcycles & Bicycles
16. DD Tanks & Amphibians

E. MISCELLANEOUS
ORDER OF PRESENTATION:

1. Night
2. Interrogation
3. Weather
4. Ski Troops
5. Boats
6. Swimming
7. Air Support
8. Gliders
9. Paratroop Landings
10. Ammo Vehicles
11. Convoys
12. Barrage

F. NORTH AFRICA
ORDER OF PRESENTATION

1. Open Ground
2. Scrub
3. Hammada
4. Deirs
5. Wadis
6. Hillocks
7. Sand
8. Sangars
9. Tracks
10. Hillside Walls & Hedges
11. Arid Climatic Conditions
12. Desert Overlays
13. Alternate Terrain Types

G. PACIFIC THEATER
ORDER OF PRESENTATION:

1. The Japanese
2. Jungle
3. Bamboo
4. Palm Trees
5. Huts
6. Kunai
7. Swamp
8. Rice Paddies
9. Panjis
10. Animal-Pack
11. Caves
12. Landing Craft
13. Beaches
14. Seaborne Assaults
15. Bulldozers
16. Tropical Climatic Conditions
17. The U.S. Marine Corps & Early U.S. Army
18. The Chinese

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
You could always try the cutdown version and go with the starter kits. In my mind you only need the one, best one to go for is SK1 as that in my oppinion has the best scenario's. Yes you don't get the tanks or guns but you will get that with the full game.

With the Starter kit you get a basic rule showing, the nuts and bolts and then you get to play some games. If you like that you will love the full version

Cheers
Ian

James Taylor

I love women with brains
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Great advice about the SK thing. It will let you get your feet wet without the cost.

But keep in mind one thing... Combat Mission drew a lot from ASL, some would say it was even inspired by ASL.

ASL is not an easy pickup, but if you go that way, I doubt you'll be disappointed. How many other games that require the effort of ASL have a large playing community 25 years after their release?

JT

avl90

Reaction score
Sort of what I am afraid of - I don't want another combat mission. :( Thanks for the help though guys, much appreciated.

wargamecop

Reaction score
Name: Joe Steadman
Married w/ 5 kids
Police officer
www.wargamenews.com
Email: joesteadman AT gmail.com

Dabbled in ASL in the 90's then a little in 02-04. I am now back into full-bore and loving it as of July 09.

I own most everything but the obscure stuff and the "fake" non-AH/MMP stuff.

I love playing online VASL and much prefer to use Skype while playing.

I also own around 500 other wargames and Eurostyle games. I use to be the co-host of The Dicetower podcast. I am am now making regular contributions and try to add a wargamers perspective to it.

I also play Combat Mission and have been since the beta of CM:BO. I would love to start a CM PBEM with someone here. I prefer ETO and hate anything in the sand.

Last edited:

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Name: Joe Steadman
Married w/ 5 kids
Police officer
www.wargamenews.com
Email: joesteadman AT gmail.com

Dabbled in ASL in the 90's then a little in 02-04. I am now back into full-bore and loving it as of July 09.

I own most everything but the obscure stuff and the "fake" non-AH/MMP stuff.

I love playing online VASL and much prefer to use Skype while playing.

I also own around 500 other wargames and Eurostyle games. I use to be the co-host of The Dicetower podcast. I am am now making regular contributions and try to add a wargamers perspective to it.

I also play Combat Mission and have been since the beta of CM:BO. I would love to start a PBEM with someone here. I prefer ETO and hate anything in the sand.
welcome aboard, PBEM is great, you can play multiple games at once and all mine average less than amonth a game. Just post in Opponents wanted and I guarantee you will have a pick of a bunch.

Cheers
Ian

colorado_jon

Recruit
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm Jon and from Colorado.

I play ASL with my uncle and it's absolutely fantastic. I only have SK1&2, but he has every imaginable piece ever printed, canonical or not.

Since I don't have the full system I was wondering if there were any relatively comparable computer games that run on OSX.

I started a thread with that question last night, but didn't see the introduction thread here. Thought I should formally introduce myself.

Thanks all!

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Hi, colorado_jon,
Welcome here !
VASL is a free, Java, program (i.e. will run on PC, Mac and Linux), and it allows one to play with all the ASL gear online (or via pbem).
But it only is an emulator : there is no IA.
You won't find really comparable computer games, as the depth of ASL is out of the reach of the average AI. However, there are some nice computer programs portraying tactical WW2 warfare (Steel Panthers - free to download - Combat Mission, etc.).
I don't know which ones run on PC.

FYI, Beyond Valor (the first ASL module) is available again.
It is worth its price (has all the German and Russian units, 10 boards, all the basic system counters, etc.).
The Rulebook is also available.
Sure, they both amount to $185 (105 + 85)... But they are a blast.
See here : http://www.multimanpublishing.com/ASL/modules.php

With VASL, you will find many opponents too.

dhailey

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
All,

I've been out of the loop for a few years, finishing a degree and getting my kids through high school. In hopes of renewing my interest in ASL, I signed on to the ASL mailing list. After a few days of a few posts trickling in, I decided there must be a new avenue. This looks like it! I see a few old friends around and hope to make a few new ones. I like to have a few VASL PBEM games going. I think I am up to speed with the latest version of VASL. Any takers?

My ASL experience goes back to 1987. I played pretty steady through 2003, have contributed a few articles, done a little playtesting, and have helped the Austin ASL Group with the ASL Team Tournament through the years.

I love my wife, soccer, and ASL. I'll commit to 'in that order'. I teach high school mathematics, coach soccer and golf, and am usually up for any game that asks me to think. I look forward to catching up with the ASL community and the latest goings on.

Cheers!

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
All,

I've been out of the loop for a few years, finishing a degree and getting my kids through high school. In hopes of renewing my interest in ASL, I signed on to the ASL mailing list. After a few days of a few posts trickling in, I decided there must be a new avenue. This looks like it! I see a few old friends around and hope to make a few new ones. I like to have a few VASL PBEM games going. I think I am up to speed with the latest version of VASL. Any takers?

My ASL experience goes back to 1987. I played pretty steady through 2003, have contributed a few articles, done a little playtesting, and have helped the Austin ASL Group with the ASL Team Tournament through the years.

I love my wife, soccer, and ASL. I'll commit to 'in that order'. I teach high school mathematics, coach soccer and golf, and am usually up for any game that asks me to think. I look forward to catching up with the ASL community and the latest goings on.

Cheers!
Welcome aboard,
Yes this seems to be the best place for ASL, you have the serious ASL stuff here but also the light (and dark) sections none to be taken too seriously, check out Mila18 for the best example!!

If your looking for opponents check out opponents wanted, just post a request and you will have your games stacking up.

Hope you enjoy the foram and the ASL is good

all the best
Ian

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Welcome here, David !
I do hope you will find all the resources and nice encounters in this forum.

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
All,

Cheers!
Old Friend here, David is one of my ASL buddies from way back....and the original author of "The Geometry of ASL" probably the most useful ASL article ever written.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
All,

GOD BLESS DAVID HAILEY!!!!

I still have the blue and white dice you gave me at The ASL Open I in Houston, TX after I threw my cursed pair black and red across the freakin room! I use them at every tourney I attend. And I bless you everytime I win a game.

My favorite blue die story was when I was playing Fort. I was on a hot streak and rolled a 2, a 3 then a 2. He says, "Were using the same dice, because these things roll too low." I said, "No problem." He then proceeded to roll 12, 12, 11. I said, "See, they average out." (With a big sheet assed grin on my face) . He gave me the dice back and starting using his own again.

dhailey

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey Rob,
Let's see if I can remember the origins of the blue die. I guess it is about 20 years old at this point. I remember a game where I won an improbable last turn CC for control of a VC hex on a hill (wish I could remember the scenario). You rolled a 5, but I followed with a 3 to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. The blue die had done well for me throughout the game. You whined -- I mean mentioned something about it, so I gifted you the die. I'm excited to know it is still in service, and causing Fort pain.
I'd be curious to see if this memory matches yours, yet I'm not sure I can trust yours given that the game was in Dallas, not Houston, but then maybe all of Texas runs together for you. I could see that.
-----
David

Grotius

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi folks,

I'm new to the forum, so I thought I'd say "hello" here. I used to be an ASL addict about 10-15 years ago, before I had kids. :) Now I have more time to spend on gaming, so I've started fussing with VASL and such. I own most (if not all) of the original Avalon Hill modules, some of which I've barely ever played. Everything from BV and Yanks through SASL, Pegasus Bridge, Red Barricades, KPII, Deluxe ASL modules, etc. I have only the 1st edition rules, though.

Should I invest in the 2nd edition rules, or just update my rules with the FAQ/errata on the MMP website? Also, can anyone recommend a couple scenarios (maybe even a SASL scenario) that I might try to re-acquaint myself with the system, and to acquaint myself with VASL? I'd like to play a couple scenarios "solo" (whether or not with SASL) before trying VASL online. (In fact, I'm not even sure I've got VASL working for online play; I had to use the "local" installation to get it to work at all.)

Anyway, I'm glad to be here!

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi folks,

I'm new to the forum, so I thought I'd say "hello" here. I used to be an ASL addict about 10-15 years ago, before I had kids. :) Now I have more time to spend on gaming, so I've started fussing with VASL and such. I own most (if not all) of the original Avalon Hill modules, some of which I've barely ever played. Everything from BV and Yanks through SASL, Pegasus Bridge, Red Barricades, KPII, Deluxe ASL modules, etc. I have only the 1st edition rules, though.

Should I invest in the 2nd edition rules, or just update my rules with the FAQ/errata on the MMP website? Also, can anyone recommend a couple scenarios (maybe even a SASL scenario) that I might try to re-acquaint myself with the system, and to acquaint myself with VASL? I'd like to play a couple scenarios "solo" (whether or not with SASL) before trying VASL online. (In fact, I'm not even sure I've got VASL working for online play; I had to use the "local" installation to get it to work at all.)

Anyway, I'm glad to be here!
Welcome aboard!!

I too had to load the local version of VASL and it works fine, just does not auto update, so you should be OK.

You really need the 2nd edition, better laid out and a few changes/clarifications that make it important. Given that you have most of the original stuff it wont be too heavy on the purse:)

A good one to play against someone else is Gavin Take - will work single as well. I'd say it is better to play normal scenario's rather than SASL as that has a whole host of rules to try and remember on top of the rules. Better to use the extra thinking on the VASL system. Go to MMP downloads and download the Classic scenario's that has Gavin Take and others that are good to get back into it all.

Also for learning the VASL and get back into the rules you could try PBEM, this means you can work at your pace and it is not as slow as you would think. Just post a request for PBEM, something like PBEM and Vasal Teacher required.
Good Luck

Grotius

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the reply, and for the recommendation on Gavin Take. I'll give that a try solo first.

And you're telling me what I want to hear about the second-edition rules. Must...have...them...now! Maybe I'll buy a couple of these newfangled modules from MMP while I'm at it...

Thanks again.

Hugh Downing

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello Grotius, welcome back. It is a good idea to get any core module that MMP (if fact any ASL item core or not) has for sale that you currently do not have. They will be much more difficult to get (and considerable more expansive) once they are no longer stock.

Good gaming, Hugh

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
BV3 is a really really good deal for the price. I also enjoy all 3 AP (that's 8 maps - new) and AOO has some new maps plus the new Axis minors. DB3 will bring some more maps the Allied minors and lastly by end of year (?) FKAC2 will be back online. With all that you'd have the 136 scenarios, sans the HL & WOA ones (I think 16 or 20) until they redo the DTO.