The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Re: Where to hang out

This forum seems a bit more like the ch site than the old ASLML. Is ther a topic for general conversation or is it a fly by the seat of your pants kinda thing.
The general forum is where most of the heat and sh*t happens.
If you visit the subforums (Rules, VASL, etc.), the atmosphere is nearly totally clean of any hijacking, trolling, flamewars and other "noise".
But the general forum is a place for a lot of fun too.

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well I just found this place ... so hello all
Phlegm!

As a rank amatuer - as a newbie - as a FNG - you'll probably want to pick up a copy of the starter kit so you can learn the infantry rules! :laugh::D:p

Oh, yeah. Welcome to the forum.

Phlegm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Funny you should ask since coming back from WO last week I've dug Dinant out and started working on it again. Nobody has shown any interest in publishing it but at least I have a copy

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Funny you should ask since coming back from WO last week I've dug Dinant out and started working on it again. Nobody has shown any interest in publishing it but at least I have a copy
Thanks for the reply.

The draft "map" you were playing on was very impressive.

Maybe Repetti can place it in digits for you?

Then it may take off in VASL format.

Phlegm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Dinant

It's the size of 10 ASL geo maps. I'd love to be able to get someone to do it up in a style other than my colored pencil look. (Which I still hear about from Ruweisat Ridge btw)

I'd rather be able to get copies out to playtesters than see it on VASL (which I don't use due to it's inability to run on my computer)

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Re: Dinant

I'd rather be able to get copies out to playtesters than see it on VASL (which I don't use due to it's inability to run on my computer)
Shame about that.

It (VASL) has revolutionized and streamlined the playtest lifecycle, enabling scenario designers to get stuff out to playtesters fast and to get playtest results from diverse groups and pairings fast. I'm on the outside of MMP looking in, but I would bet it is one of the prime reasons that Chas could jump in and put two Action Packs playtested and out so quickly.

What seems to be the problem with your computer?

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Lack of memory and advanced age.

Much like myself.
The computer?

You?

or both?

I had the same issue with my online computer;

Dell Latitude 600 series;

128Mb of Ram, 256 Mhz processor, 35 Gb of Hard Drive space.

Ancient in today's standards.

SO Daughter felt pity on this much younger old fart and bought a Dell Studio 1535 series;

3 Gb Ram, 2.Ghz processor, 330 Gb hard drive space. Almost flies when I press the "on" button.

But I own dial-up as the I-net provider.

Kenneth P. Katz

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have never introduced myself, although I have posted a few times. I starting playing SL around 1978 and picked up ASL around 1996.

I live in Massachusetts, having moved here from Kansas last summer. In Kansas, I played ASL with the Kansas ASL crowd. I am the leader of the Korean War ASL project, which will be a very cool module.

Aside from ASL, I am a project manager. I also write books about military aircraft.
http://www.squadron.com/ItemDetails.asp?item=SS1207

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have never introduced myself, although I have posted a few times. I starting playing SL around 1978 and picked up ASL around 1996.

I live in Massachusetts, having moved here from Kansas last summer. In Kansas, I played ASL with the Kansas ASL crowd. I am the leader of the Korean War ASL project, which will be a very cool module.

Aside from ASL, I am a project manager. I also write books about military aircraft.
http://www.squadron.com/ItemDetails.asp?item=SS1207
Hey Ken,

Glad to see you here. Get in touch with Tom Morin and others from the area. They should be able to help you out with ASL.

swoyak

LATW
Reaction score
I've posted a little bit here, a little bit there, but have never introduced myself. I recently found ASL (<2 months). So I've been learning the basics via VASL and ASLSK1, and have been picking up the in print modules along the way, as well as the rulebook, and some of the oop modules also. I live in Alaska on Elmendorf AFB, 15yrs active duty AF, and usually game it up with some buddies every Friday night in Anchorage. One of them used to play ASL ALOT, and now I've talked him into it again, and we're going to spin up ASL with minis!

Shane Woyak

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Hi Shane,
Welcome here !
BTW, did you manage to find Beyond Valor?

swoyak

LATW
Reaction score
Yes, I was able to find Beyond Valor 3rd Ed. I ordered it straight from MMP. I also found/bought a copy of Yanks, Paratrooper, Armies of Oblivion, Doomed Battalions preordered. That should keep me busy for awhile. I have to admit, the OOP core modules really tend to be a big detractor when looking into the hobby, although I understand MMPs setbacks with old modules and old technologies, and having to redo everything.

Herr Oberst

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, after lurking for a bit and finding some great threads it was time to come out of the shadows.

Was a wargamer long ago and got back into it within the past three years. I got a really good deal on the 1st ed. rules, BV, and Yanks. I've ordered ASLSK#1 and am looking forward to starting my journey into full on ASL.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Well, after lurking for a bit and finding some great threads it was time to come out of the shadows.

Was a wargamer long ago and got back into it within the past three years. I got a really good deal on the 1st ed. rules, BV, and Yanks. I've ordered ASLSK#1 and am looking forward to starting my journey into full on ASL.
Hi there Herr Oberst. Welcome to the ASL forums. I hope you get lots out of them.

There is a notorious ASLer who goes by the name of Oberst Balck on these forums. I hope people don't start confusing you two! You should be okay. ;)

ASL is a fantastic game....enjoy the ride. See You. :)

Herr Oberst

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Honza. Guess I should have lurked a bit longer before choosing a screename. I just went with the one I use over on BGG. No ambition to become notorious, just want to enjoy some ASL tips as I know I'll need some help as I try to learn the game.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Thanks Honza. Guess I should have lurked a bit longer before choosing a screename. I just went with the one I use over on BGG. No ambition to become notorious, just want to enjoy some ASL tips as I know I'll need some help as I try to learn the game.
Don't worry : Oberst Balck has not shown himself over here for many months.
BTW, there are plenty of jerks on these forums (including me :smoke:), so we will not lack fun.:broccoli:

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Don't worry : Oberst Balck has not shown himself over here for many months.
BTW, there are plenty of jerks on these forums (including me :smoke:), so we will not lack fun.:broccoli:
And he appears to speak English and spell ok. :thumup: