The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Welcome, Merric!
Have fun and find usefull gaming ressources around here, that is what I wish you ! :)

countermanCX

Mennonite Jihadi
Reaction score
Country
llMalta
hi martin,

welcome, & wish you joy on your emigration action, meanwhile, do your best to keep up w/ ASL on this forum, & by doing VASL. Post to the VASL forum here if you need any help getting your VASL installation sorted! - the only thing lacking from VASL is the post-combat 'brewski'. heh - we should co-ordinate some kinda' VASL-game won/loss action against chits from the Guiness brewery - where the loser has to pay for the next round!

best regards,
ctrman(CX)

countermanCX

Mennonite Jihadi
Reaction score
Country
llMalta
hi Patrocles - glom on to VASL - your Virtual ASL service. You'll need an ASL Rulebook & Charts, but you won't need any of them nasty modules or ctrs or storage-boxes, since all the maps & ctrs (but not the scenario cards) are available on the VASL interface. & opponents 'cross the face of the globe are out there, just waitin' to match up for a game & hopin' to hand you yer ass...

Check out the VASL sub-forum here for tips'n'tricks'n'prob-solving to get your VASL install up to speed,

best regards,
your ctrman(CX)

paulyj

Reaction score
Country
ll
Hi all. I'm a complete newbie to ASL just learning SK1. I also have SK2 and SK3 but haven't even tried them yet. I am in Manchester in the UK and if there are any other local players who might be interested in some F2F, just let me know. I am also keen to give VASL a go, but have no idea how to go about it, so anyone who is willing to show me the ropes, I would be very grateful.

Thanks,

Patrocles

Reaction score
hi Patrocles - glom on to VASL - your Virtual ASL service. You'll need an ASL Rulebook & Charts, but you won't need any of them nasty modules or ctrs or storage-boxes, since all the maps & ctrs (but not the scenario cards) are available on the VASL interface. & opponents 'cross the face of the globe are out there, just waitin' to match up for a game & hopin' to hand you yer ass...

Check out the VASL sub-forum here for tips'n'tricks'n'prob-solving to get your VASL install up to speed,

best regards,
your ctrman(CX)
At this time I am burned out on computers and computer gaming and i have decided to go "retro." LOL That is why i have made the decision to seek face-to-face battles. At this time I prefer the tactile sensation of pushing real counters around a real board with a real opponent across the table from moi! I'll keep an eye on the VASL site, because in the future I may need it.

aerodynamics

Recruit
Reaction score
Hello all,

Dave Starry in Spokane, WA here. I started playing SL in the early 80s and eventually added in CoI. I picked up a used ASL rulebook at auction in 1988 and Beyond Valor and Paratrooper soon after that. Fondled the components for a few years before finally getting serious and learning the game in 1992. I was fortunate to have a group of local opponents and was heavily involved in ASL from '93-'97. At the height we were gathering in my basement nearly every Sunday and played a lot of Red Barricades and KGP1 in addition to many scenarios.

Around about 1998 I drifted away from the game to invest more time in other wargames that I had collected and played since the late 70s. I was recently in the mood for some tactical WWII and quite naturally turned back to my ASL collection. I'm fortunate to have a core group of opponents here in Spokane and am looking forward to getting back into the game. Already just re-reading the rule book and pulling out my old Plano boxes feels like putting on a comfortable pair of old shoes.

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey Guys. I have been away for some time (four years in China) and now I am back in the 'States. After leaving ASL (I only play once a year) for pc games I find my old cravings returning. I may start touring the tournamount circuit again--wife willing.
I am now planning to attend ASLOK in 2009.
It's been a while and I am out of the "loop". Any movement on the proposed Finn module?

Earthpig

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey Guys. I have been away for some time (four years in China) and now I am back in the 'States. After leaving ASL (I only play once a year) for pc games I find my old cravings returning. I may start touring the tournamount circuit again--wife willing.
It's been a while and I am out of the "loop". Any movement on the proposed Finn module?
Tooz. If your from Milwaukee, I know there are some players in the area. Rick Nieznanski(ralph malph) for one. plus if your going to the Open in Chicago maybe we could wind up playing....Last year was my first tourney experience had a blast but lost me hip pockets:). Welcome to da forums der hey doncha know:nuts:

Ralph Malf

***** Veteran
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tooz.

I sent you a private message.

I hope you meant you are in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

(I don't know if there are any ASL players in Milwaukee, Oregon.)

Rick

2 Bit Bill

комиссар рыба
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
They're still tryin' to figure out how to pronouce it :laugh:

Yo Brother.
What's the good word?
your LeGleize roomie :smoke:
Fish

Ralph Malf

***** Veteran
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tooz,

I sent you a private message with my yahoo email address in it. Give a shout if you're interested in getting together for ASL and meeting the other players in the Miwaukee area.

Or did Anderson scare you away?:)

Rick

dachda

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi all,

Was a big Avalon Hill wargamer in high school and college, back in the late 70's and early 80's. First game was Tobruk when I was 12 I think. Moved to squadleader later, and of course ASL after that. I also was big into D&D. Life eventually left me without fellow players, so stopped playing for the last decade or more. In March when Gary Gygax died, I found myself getting back into RPGs with Castles & Crusades, a month ago I picked up The Russian Campaign on ebay. That let me to pull my big box of ASL stuff out of the attic. I still have all the old AH ASL stuff thru module 10 (though never 8 & 9). Just ordered a copy of the 2nd edition rules and in a couple of months of re-learning the game solo, hope to reach out and find some opponents. Till then, I'll just lurk around the forums and pick up the wisdom of all of you.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Hi all,

Was a big Avalon Hill wargamer in high school and college, back in the late 70's and early 80's. First game was Tobruk when I was 12 I think. Moved to squadleader later, and of course ASL after that. I also was big into D&D. Life eventually left me without fellow players, so stopped playing for the last decade or more. In March when Gary Gygax died, I found myself getting back into RPGs with Castles & Crusades, a month ago I picked up The Russian Campaign on ebay. That let me to pull my big box of ASL stuff out of the attic. I still have all the old AH ASL stuff thru module 10 (though never 8 & 9). Just ordered a copy of the 2nd edition rules and in a couple of months of re-learning the game solo, hope to reach out and find some opponents. Till then, I'll just lurk around the forums and pick up the wisdom of all of you.
Where in Oregon are you at? There is a non-trivial ASL population there.

The Berserk Commissars are in the Portland area. Clayton just moved to Southern Oregon (to the point where he flew into Eureka CA when he came back from ASLOK)...not exactly sure where.

Check out: http://www.berserk-commissars.org/index.html

dachda

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Jazz,

I'll be sure to get in touch with them, once I've caught myself up on the game again. One thing I didn't mention was I'm in law school. Just have one semester left, so until it's over I've little time I can commit for fun stuff. Hopefully by this winter I'll have brushed up on the rules and with law school over I'll have time to contact the beserk commissars and find a game.

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Jazz,

I'll be sure to get in touch with them, once I've caught myself up on the game again. One thing I didn't mention was I'm in law school. Just have one semester left, so until it's over I've little time I can commit for fun stuff. Hopefully by this winter I'll have brushed up on the rules and with law school over I'll have time to contact the beserk commissars and find a game.
If you have any time, you might still contact these guys. Face to Face play with an experienced player is the easiest way to learn the system for most people.