The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Matt,
If you know Japanese ASL players, tell them about GS.
It really would be nice to have some interaction with the Japanese ASL community.

meecrob111

Reaction score
Country
llJapan
The group I started playing with have a few Japanese guys. I'm sure they already know about this forum, they have been gaming ASL for years, and I think one of them helped translating the rules. But I think in general their English isn't that great and they probably aren't on this board, but I could be wrong.

AHAHAH, Japanese game show ASL video huh?, Not exactly what I was shooting for, but that does bring up some interesting ideas. Maybe I could film a game where everytime one of players squads gets pinned a man in a striped red and white skin tight body suit would come out and sound a blow horn in the players ears. Is that the kind of thing you were thinking?

I'm more thinking about a video camera shot of the board and someone moving counters around in many possible situations and explaining what is happening. I've played around a little with it, but you can't read the counters well with a shot of the whole board. I must of read the starter kit rules about 10 times and played about three games before I pretty much "got it" as for understanding the rules. I think this could have been done watching a 30 minute video a couple of times.

And for some good news, I got a game of ASL scheduled tonight..... I CAN'T WAIT!

meecrob111

Reaction score
Country
llJapan
There is a series of podcasts from two Midwest guys (chicago?) after another cup of coffee I'll see if I can dig up the url. ASL 'radio' is almost as good as ASL video. [search 'podcast' and you should find the link here at GameSquad.]
ALAN, no need to. I've listened to the podcast, those guys are great.
They call themselve the "two halfsquads". They are more for entertainment, my idea is to teach the rules.

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A VASL log-file would be the simplest "video"; the limit is typing in the text box but otherwise everything would be as clear as can be without the newbie being in the video and asking just the right questions.

One could organize logs by Chapter and verse.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
A VASL log-file would be the simplest "video"; the limit is typing in the text box but otherwise everything would be as clear as can be without the newbie being in the video and asking just the right questions.

The only problem is that, with evoluting versions, an old logfile couldn't be read by a later VASL version...

meecrob111

Reaction score
Country
llJapan

Interesting idea. What about adding audio to that? Maybe having people talking over a VASL game.

Or, you could make an avi file out of a vassel game with audio, that way it wouldn't matter what version of vassel you had.

I'm just learning this game anyway so this may be a ways off, but someone smart once told me the best way to learn something, is to teach it to someone else.

Y0UR DR3AM G1RL

Recruit
Reaction score
Hey all...my name is Shea...i am raecruit captain for an all women campetitive Halo 3 clan called the M@STERCHIX..
i found yall thru yahoo and figured i would give yall a try..if any of yall have 360's hit me up..
my gamer tag is Y0UR DR3AM G1RL (THE 0 IS A ZERO..THE 1 IS A ONE AND THE 3 IS A THREE :0 )
Looking forward to posting...and see yall l8r

i have a couple questions..first...how do i put a custom avatar on here? and how do i get my signature on here?

Last edited:

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Hey all...my name is Shea...i am raecruit captain for an all women campetitive Halo 3 clan called the M@STERCHIX..
i found yall thru yahoo and figured i would give yall a try..if any of yall have 360's hit me up..
my gamer tag is Y0UR DR3AM G1RL (THE 0 IS A ZERO..THE 1 IS A ONE AND THE 3 IS A THREE :0 )
Looking forward to posting...and see yall l8r

i have a couple questions..first...how do i put a custom avatar on here? and how do i get my signature on here?
You lookin in the wrong place honey. They's all menfolk here. :D

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
im not worried baout that....i jsut suck at intro's..:p
if anyone plays halo...hit me up,,,,

Hi, Dream--what Psycho's saying is that very few of us play any type of video/computer game; we play with cardboard boardgames in this particular section; try here for Halo players. http://forums.gamesquad.com/forumdisplay.php?f=291

There's also a Support section here http://forums.gamesquad.com/forumdisplay.php?f=181 for problems with adding signatures, etc. although it looks like you have a link OK (don't think you can have the image appear here just the link--ask in the support thread.)

Otherwise, welcome!:)

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Maybe Miss Dream was attracted by KGPIIs pink SS guys?:clown:

countermanCX

Mennonite Jihadi
Reaction score
Country
llMalta
The only problem is that, with evoluting versions, an old logfile couldn't be read by a later VASL version...
not strictly true, Robin - although some occaisional glitches show up, to the best of my knowledge, most old logfiles should work ok.

Reaction score
Country
ll
Hi there boys & girls.

I'm Phil Ward from West Yorkshire UK. Been playing SL & then ASL since the early 80's. I have just the one FTF opponent and we do battle every Monday evening, currently I'm desperately tring to defend the Railway station in VoTG. I've dabbled with VASL. My major problem is time as Mrs Panzergrenadier does need some attention from time to time.

Any questions please ask.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Welcome here, Phil,
I hope you will find all the usefull ressources and fun you are looking for here.
Do thank Mrs Panzergrenadier for preserving you from being hooked at ASL as at hard drugs.:D
Having a wife helps develop one's tactics : testing morale, creating innovative maneuvers, using concealment (if not HIP), resisting Bombardment, try Civilian Interrogation (Friendly, Neutral, Hostile, depending upon circumstances), etc.:clown:

James Taylor

I love women with brains
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My major problem is time as Mrs Panzergrenadier does need some attention from time to time.
If I knew you better I'd tell you to post some pics and that maybe we could help you out with that. But since I don't, I won't. :hush:

JT

Patrocles

Reaction score
wow...my login name and password is still active?! LOL I joined waaay back when this site and armchair general shared the forum and I was playing Combat Mission PC games. I don't think I ever posted here after the sites went their separate ways.
Anyway...I'm burned out on PC wargaming (but not the PC simracing!) and I'm starting to look around the Chicago area for face-to-face wargamers in ASL. I don't own any ASL items at the moment and last time I played ASL was ~15 years ago when I was pressed into service as an opponent by my ASL-fanatic roommate. I had a blast playing the game (though i rarely won! lol) and I want to see if the game is still as fun as I recall.

(Big kudos to Jeff and Dave at the ASL podcast site for mentioning Gamesquad)

-Patrocles

Last edited:

saber1506

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
hey up my name is martin ward of west yorkshire soon of pukehina new zealand have played limited asl just the 3 of us all newbies. we have been working our way through the scenarios 1 onwards having a laugh as we go!! shift working kills us but we finish a game in about 3 weeks. emigrate in august 08 so bye to 2 good friends still trying to sort out vasal to keep in in contact. hope we can.on boards not many nz players and if there are very thinly spread. great game have got everything ever published bar journel 2.which makes for great reading when i have quiet moments.hope to continue playing in 12 months or so after we have settled in and container has arrived. martin.:smoke::D

MerricB

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Just wanted to say G'day! I started with ASL through the SKs last year, and have progressed to the semi-full game. (Won't really be full until I can acquire a few more core modules. :))

Mostly I play solo, and you can find AARs written by me occasionally popping up on BoardGameGeek.

At present, I'm waiting for a few core module reprints. Oh well... I have enough games and scenarios to get by for the time being!

Cheers,
Merric