New members introduce yourself here

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That's it, Phil. (sorry I couldn't think of it/find it in 'my favorites')

happyj

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
hello to all. I figured i should give a shout out to everyone and introduce myself. I have been out of ASL for over 15 years. My son is now almost 17 and i always thought he would get the bug (and me with over 200 games i never play anymore) but he never has. A few weeks ago i pulled down the ASL rulebook and spent a couple of hours purusing it then hit the web and noticed i was woefully out of date. I also saw that enfilade was coming up at the end of the month signed up for that and here i am.

Man am i looking forward to a weekend of getting clobbered while i try to remember how to play. I have found some great information on this site and really appreciate it.

One question : I have searched for counter storage ideas. I currently have mine in large ziplock bags (takes a while to find anything). I am going with the plano 3701's does anyone have any caveats i might like to know before i start sorting them?

Thanks in advance
Happyj

Count_Zero

Reaction score
First name
Josh
Country
llUnited States
hello to all. I figured i should give a shout out to everyone and introduce myself. I have been out of ASL for over 15 years. My son is now almost 17 and i always thought he would get the bug (and me with over 200 games i never play anymore) but he never has. A few weeks ago i pulled down the ASL rulebook and spent a couple of hours purusing it then hit the web and noticed i was woefully out of date. I also saw that enfilade was coming up at the end of the month signed up for that and here i am.

Man am i looking forward to a weekend of getting clobbered while i try to remember how to play. I have found some great information on this site and really appreciate it.

One question : I have searched for counter storage ideas. I currently have mine in large ziplock bags (takes a while to find anything). I am going with the plano 3701's does anyone have any caveats i might like to know before i start sorting them?

Thanks in advance
Happyj
Come and play some ASL with us at Enfilade. We'll have quite a few people there and Sam Belcher is even running a tournament. Rob Wolkey and I are both coming from over in Spokane, and we are sure to see some of the Portland guys as well as people from the Seattle area. We'll help you knock the cobwebs down. You can be sure of that.

Inclement

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Greetings!

I found Squad Leader in 1979, taught a friend of mine, and we played every scenario, then added Cross of Iron. That was when we were in college and could play for hours at a time! He passed away in 1983. After several futile attempts to interest others in the game, I discovered ASL in 1992. I bought several modules, and played mostly solitaire and PBM until I finally found some PBEM opponents. I've played 15 or 20 times in the last five years, so I'm still not very good, but I enjoy The Game!

I just ordered Starter Kits 1 and 2, and I'm hoping to step up my playing time and gain more experience.

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Welcome, happyj, hope you make it to Olympia (don't know if I will; the wife wants to go to the San Juans. . . ) Grew up in Shelton and wargamed there 1979-1983 and 1994. :)

happyj

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Inclement
Thanks for the pointer i had not run into thought hammer yet.

AlanP
Sorry to hear you can not make the oly trip. I am signed up ordered a 2nd edition rulebook and some plano boxes hope to have some organization before i show up but i really intend to have a blast. I can not even remember playing from 15 years ago so just like starting over hope to not slow everyone down.

vv67

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Hi to ASLer community; well, I start again to play ASL after ten years of RL (real life). I began playing SL with high school friends, more than 25 years ago; the game was one of my teen-age passion; then ...university, job, girls, a daughter ad so on...

Now ASL reloaded. Im excited to start again and share opinions about rules and modules.

I'm looking on the web for player aids, tables, data chart and other stuff of this kind. My intention is to understand better the rules, rather than collect modules. I only own BV, Y and CdG and I should like purchase WoA, but cannot be finded easily and at a reasonable price!

The gamesquad-ASL forum is uselful and well-structured. I use the internal search engine to select topics through keywords; it's very useful to me.

Thanks to you all, I like being part ASLgamer

Bye

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Benvenuto here vv67!
I hope you will find all the usefull ressources you seek on this forum.
If you want to play online (with Skype, it is near to a FtF experience) or via PBeM, I would advise you to try VASL (a free program that you can find HERE).
Do you know rhat ASL Starter Kits exist?
They allow you to get in contact with ASL, but with simplified rules.
Each SK contains all you need to play and each SK doesn't need the other SKs to be used.
SK1 introduces Infantry combat, SK2 Guns and SK3 Tanks.

Best regards

Robin

zman1974

Recruit
Reaction score
I played Squad Leader back in the late '80's and early 90's, but only barely dipped into ASL with the Paratrooper module. Haven't touched it in over a decade, but would like to get back into the deep end. I'm an Eastern Front nut, so BV will be were I cut my teeth, though I will probably start with the SK's.

Unfortunately, there appears to be zero opponents in SW Florida (plenty in Tampa, but I'm too far south). I hope to figure out some way to play F2F, but I may have to settle for VASL. Look forward to delving through all the information here.

Jim

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Hi Jim,
Welcome here!
If you don't find FtF opponents, go the VASL way. Using Skype makes the experience quite near a FtF one.
In any case, I hope you will find the ressources you need.
Note, too, that if you are re-entering the ASL world, the Starter Kits are a nice way to make a first step : each module is self-sufficient, with simplified rules, maps and scenarios.
Cheers
Robin

zman1974

Recruit
Reaction score
Thanks, Robin. One thing I have always loved about SL/ASL is the devotion of it's fanbase; right up there with the good RPG's. I am totally unfamiliar with VASL, but will look into it. I have no choice, if I want to game with anyone other than myself. :)

Jim

meecrob111

Reaction score
Country
llJapan
My Turn,

Had a facination with war since I was a kid, WWII was my biggest interest. Been an on and off again miniature gamer, thought boardgames were a step back. Moved to Tokyo, only boardgaming here as far as I can tell. Tried to email Curt Shilling to get a game with him when the Red Sox travelled to Japan. I didn't know ASL at the time, felt I needed to learn quickly in hopes he would reply. Was a little wary of ASL, Squad Leader had always been on the top shelf when I was a little kid and it looked daunting. 25 years later and I still feared it. Well, fell in love with ASL using the first starter kit, that was about 3 months ago. Schilling never wrote, but I am happy anyway as I beleive I will play this game for a long time. Just ordered the rules, BV, Yanks, VOG and the only starter kit I was missing.

So Hello all.....and if you are in Tokyo, give me a shout.

Also, why hasn't anyone done video with ASL to teach the rules? I'm looking into it myslelf.

Matt

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Hi Matt,
Welcome here!
Using VASL and learning to play ASL with a grognard is a nice way to go - the nearest to "video".
Will Flemming, an active forum member, lives in Tokyo.
Here is his profile page : http://forums.gamesquad.com/member.php?u=2334
I hope you will find usefull ressources over here (don't hesitate to ask questions in the Rules and Errata forum - after having made a "forum search", however, as many questions already have been adressed).
Cheers
Robin

meecrob111

Reaction score
Country
llJapan
Thanks Robin,

I just sent an email to Will. I know a few ASL players here in Tokyo, but knowing one more is always much much better.

Don't worry, I'll probably be plastering this site with questions.

Matt

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Welcome, Matt--the video idea is great; maybe even a Japanese game show revolving around ASL?!
There is a series of podcasts from two Midwest guys (chicago?) after another cup of coffee I'll see if I can dig up the url. ASL 'radio' is almost as good as ASL video. [search 'podcast' and you should find the link here at GameSquad.]