New members introduce yourself here

horseshoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Not to new to GameSquad, or ASL. I just been lurking.

I'm definately going to use that; "oh, that must have been the way it worked in SL..." :icon_bs: HA! Let's see how far I can get with that.:D Figured that VASL would be the only option, but there do seem to be some folks here in Dublin. I think I'll have to warn the wife - I'm already hearing "did you get /another/ game?? - No babe, it's a /module/..." Oh sweet, sweet obsessions...
Yeah, can hear the wife now " you told me you had all that stuff, is that another one" LOL:clown:

And yes Count, we are getting to be 'old farts'.:confused:

arkiegamer

Recruit
Reaction score

Hello,

I'm just getting into ASL after a couple of rousing games of Guards Counterattack the past weekend using the old Squad Leader rules. I have ordered SK#3 and anxiously await the beginning of my descent into the madness of hyper-detailed wargaming. I kid. Sort of.

Tim

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Hello,

I'm just getting into ASL after a couple of rousing games of Guards Counterattack the past weekend using the old Squad Leader rules. I have ordered SK#3 and anxiously await the beginning of my descent into the madness of hyper-detailed wargaming. I kid. Sort of.

Tim
Welcome on board Tim, lots of fun to be had. We all have played Guards Counterattack, a fair few times so you are in good company, SK3 should get you started, I recomend you go to opponents wanted section if you are looking to extend who you play against. Lots of guys really want to help the newer player to get going

Ian

arkiegamer

Recruit
Reaction score

I recomend you go to opponents wanted section if you are looking to extend who you play against. Lots of guys really want to help the newer player to get going

Ian
Thanks for the welcome and the recommendation, Ian.

horseshoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Hello Tim and welcome to the forum. Gaurds Counterattack is a blast to play when you first get going. Bet we played it a dozen times. I dont know how far Farmington AR is from Memphis, but if its not to far maybe we could get together sometime and play a game.

Mike

arkiegamer

Recruit
Reaction score

Guards Counterattack is definitely a lot of fun. We had quite a tense game on our second run-through, and the outcome hinged on a couple of key close combat rolls in the last turn.

Farmington is just outside of Fayetteville, so it's a 4 1/2-5 hour drive to Memphis, and I haven't made it over that way in quite some time, but thanks for the offer, and I'll definitely keep you in mind.

Cosworth

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark

Hi,

Found this excellent ASL forum while searching the net for ASL resources.
Just started playing in Copenhagen, Denmark a month ago and I'm already drowning in counters, so I've been "infected" well by this game. There's a great group of people in my region and I'm looking forward to playing them all regularly. The learning curve is steep, but that just motivates me more to read and play.
I can see myself going to tournaments in northern europe as soon as I've mastered all the basics, so perhaps I'll meet some of you guys from the forum soon.

If anyone I haven't met in the Copenhagen area are up for a game let me know!

Keld

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Hi,

Found this excellent ASL forum while searching the net for ASL resources.
Just started playing in Copenhagen, Denmark a month ago and I'm already drowning in counters, so I've been "infected" well by this game. There's a great group of people in my region and I'm looking forward to playing them all regularly. The learning curve is steep, but that just motivates me more to read and play.
I can see myself going to tournaments in northern europe as soon as I've mastered all the basics, so perhaps I'll meet some of you guys from the forum soon.

If anyone I haven't met in the Copenhagen area are up for a game let me know!

Keld
You got me confused when you said this great forum:laugh:

welcome aboard mate, it's quite a nice gaff and a good place to pick up tips, opponents and gear. Hope your stay is long and rewarding

ian

StevensSA

Recruit
Reaction score
New guy here....Both to the forums and to ASL (so to speak). I did give it a whirl back in my teenage years but too many things got in the way of really getting absorbed into it. Im a recently displaced construction worker (now, stay at home dad). With a bit of extra time on my hands, Ive decided to jump back in. Im still trying to absorb all the minutae of the game. I hope to get up to speed soon....

Scott

Last edited:

Count_Zero

Reaction score
First name
Josh
Country
llUnited States
New guy here....Both to the forums and to ASL (so to speak). I did give it a whirl back in my teenage years but too many things got in the way of really getting absorbed into it. Im a recently displaced construction worker (now, stay at home dad). With a bit of extra time on my hands, Ive decided to jump back in. Im still trying to absorb all the minutae of the game. I hope to get up to speed soon....

Scott
Hi, New Guy Here!!! I'm Josh. :D

Welcome to the insane asylum. We're all CRAZY about ASL. Well, we're probably just plain crazy, but the pajamas with the REALLY long sleeves are just so darn comfortable....

There's lots of ASL know-how here. We not-so-occasionally get into some heated discussion. Think of it like a dysfunctional internet family. There's some guys that play in Twin Cities that you might hook up with or there's VASSAL - a Java-based open source virtual gametable that has an ASL module allowing play over the internet via e-mail OR live (with or without voice software), and a whole host of people that would love to help a new player "get up to speed...".

Enjoy your sojourn.

Josh Walles
former Minnesota-ite

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Scott
Welcome to game squad, yes lots to learn but peeps here are happy to help. best to try and get as many games in with other players as possible and here is a good place to find them.

Ian

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Scott
Scott,

Graig Houliston is close to you.

He is a member here and might be able to help you re-enter the 'addiction'.

Count_Zero

Reaction score
First name
Josh
Country
llUnited States
Scott,

Graig Houliston is close to you.

He is a member here and might be able to help you re-enter the 'addiction'.
Scott,

Try to spell his name right when you talk to him, though. It's Craig, C-R-A-I-G. Certain people on this forum have issues with basic functions like spelling. B E W A R E... :devious::p:laugh:

Count_Zero

Reaction score
First name
Josh
Country
llUnited States

Scott
I have issues with spellin'......

I can never compete in a spellin' bee.....
See...

If we didn't all genuinely like each other (for the most part), someone might take offense. We debate, we flame, Psycho pulls us into the orbit of a completely different planet, but at the end of the day, we smile, shake hands, roll the dice, and try to kill each other. Perfectly normal... :D

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
See...

If we didn't all genuinely like each other (for the most part), someone might take offense. We debate, we flame, Psycho pulls us into the orbit of a completely different planet, but at the end of the day, we smile, shake hands, roll the dice, and try to kill each other. Perfectly normal... :D
I prefer the "Abby-normal" world.......

Frau Brucker........

JMcL63

Reservist, Class of '85
Reaction score
Country
ll
Hi there all. I was a big fan of SL/ASL back in the early/mid 80s. I owned the complete SL set (including the series 100 scenarios, the rogue boards, and their scenario pack), and moved on to ASL without a second thought (I owned everything up to Yanks before selling the lot in the early 90s during a bout of poverty). And so, 20 years later, I decided to take the plunge and get back into the game. In a fit of insanity (all that cash and I still don't know if I'll find a FtF opponent!) I've spent the past few months getting hold of all the core modules, and have added AP4 and BFP's Blood and Jungle to my collection.

I'm really looking forward to trying out all the new nationalities, and am especially keen to launch a PTO beach assault (something which tempted me as soon as I saw all those LVTs in Yanks). In the meantime, I've got to sort out my storage solution (currently figuring out how many matchboxes I'll need- I've found a cheap bulk source on eBay), scan my countersheets, then get to work with my craft knife and my C4 counter cutter. Fun, fun, fun, eh? ;)

Gwinnell

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi there all. I was a big fan of SL/ASL back in the early/mid 80s. I owned the complete SL set (including the series 100 scenarios, the rogue boards, and their scenario pack), and moved on to ASL without a second thought (I owned everything up to Yanks before selling the lot in the early 90s during a bout of poverty). And so, 20 years later, I decided to take the plunge and get back into the game. In a fit of insanity (all that cash and I still don't know if I'll find a FtF opponent!) I've spent the past few months getting hold of all the core modules, and have added AP4 and BFP's Blood and Jungle to my collection.

I'm really looking forward to trying out all the new nationalities, and am especially keen to launch a PTO beach assault (something which tempted me as soon as I saw all those LVTs in Yanks). In the meantime, I've got to sort out my storage solution (currently figuring out how many matchboxes I'll need- I've found a cheap bulk source on eBay), scan my countersheets, then get to work with my craft knife and my C4 counter cutter. Fun, fun, fun, eh? ;)
Hi

Oh yes plenty of fun, fun ,fun to be had.
Look on the opponents wanted section to see if there is anyone near you. I know there are several people on the forum of the Scottish type but I think they are further North and/or East.
Anyway, welcome to ASL land.

PS be careful clipping those counters, you will be using the IIFT next :laugh::p

Gavin