New members introduce yourself here

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Re: Not to new to GameSquad, or ASL. I just been lurking.

You shut it, anal spelunker! :angry: I was snickering at "mostly just sit and laugh at Mayers get screwed by everyone," twit! :angry:
I know, but he's a mate so how dare you have a go at him!!!!!

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Calm down, Ian. Psycho can't even spell England, much less actually get there...:D
If he did he would run rings round Mayers, which of course is a greater distance than Swamp Ville USA to Blackpool UK. Mind you I heard the other day Martin had lost weight, 50lbs no less but it turned out he had taken his belt off.:devious:

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine

Calm down, Ian. Psycho can't even spell England, much less actually get there...:D
I can spell England but it's easier to spell sh!t. ;)

CWattie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Hey Everyone,

I've really been getting into wargames the last 6 months and could resist ASL no longer. I started with ASL SK #1. I began reading that rulebook a few weeks ago and knew right away that full ASL would soon be luring me in. The rules, while complex, are so well written that I find it enjoyable to read them. Compared to many of the other tactical WWII wargames I play, ASL rules seem superior so far. Based on what I read I can easily see how it should translate to outstanding and exciting game play. I'm primarily interested in ETO based combat so I'll be initially targeting full ASL acquisitions that'll help me prepare for these battles. On my radar will be 2nd Edition Rulebook, BV, Yanks, FKaC, Paratrooper, Pegasus Bridge and Solitaire ASL.

See you around,
Clint

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Hey Everyone,

I've really been getting into wargames the last 6 months and could resist ASL no longer. I started with ASL SK #1. I began reading that rulebook a few weeks ago and knew right away that full ASL would soon be luring me in. The rules, while complex, are so well written that I find it enjoyable to read them. Compared to many of the other tactical WWII wargames I play, ASL rules seem superior so far. Based on what I read I can easily see how it should translate to outstanding and exciting game play. I'm primarily interested in ETO based combat so I'll be initially targeting full ASL acquisitions that'll help me prepare for these battles. On my radar will be 2nd Edition Rulebook, BV, Yanks, FKaC, Paratrooper, Pegasus Bridge and Solitaire ASL.

See you around,
Clint
Yes you about have it nailed. Play the same scenario 5 times and you can still get a different feel to it on the 6th playing. Lots going off, lots just don't work how you want it to, what more could you ask for?

Rules BV FKaC all easy to get hold of. Yanks still fairly easy but you will pay a premium for it as it's OOP but if you are in for the long haul will get your monies worth out of it. If not then sell it on, if bought punched then you should get your money back. Paratrooper really does not give you the same value for money as others. Some good scenarios but hell play someone who owns it and move on, all your missing is one board, buy it from MMP (or the Map Bundle once you know you really are into it). Pegasus Bridge is the place to start for campaigns, now out of print but I would say don't pay too much for it as MMP was selling it off for a song not that long ago. Solitaire ASL is not ASL as you would see it. My advice is get into ASL, get used to the rules to the extent you are comfortable with them (preferbly by playing other players) then go for SASL, it adds a whole new layer of rules and plays nothing like ASL, you have generic missions not scenarios and really LOTS of dice throwing.

Cheers
Ian

horseshoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Hey Everyone,

See you around,
Clint
Welcome to the madness.

Delirium

ASL Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llIreland

You must be thinking about Scotland, Ireland and Wales:bigfire:
I don't think he was. I think he was fairly specific, actually :)

Looking forward to Paddy's Day and watching Ireland giving England a good kicking at Twickenham. Men and boys.

Gwinnell

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

I don't think he was. I think he was fairly specific, actually :)

Looking forward to Paddy's Day and watching Ireland giving England a good kicking at Twickenham. Men and boys.
On the black stuff already I see, not going to be an easy game for either side but men and boys? No.

Kelas

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llIreland

Howdy Folks, I've been lurking around for some time and felt the time had come to say hi to all you good folks! I'm back into ASL after a long hiatus - to make a short story long, I started with Squad Leader, punching out my dad's copy in the early 90's. Had a blast and moved on to ASL, but teaching myself, I had a hard time unlearning the differences. Still collected the modules though and now I've rediscovered the Starter Kits and that yearning for that feeling you get when you first look at a new map board... Only problem is that all my stuff is back home in Canada while I'm living in Dublin. Still working my way through the ASLSKs though with a plan to move on to ASL proper to make good use of the stuff I've already picked up along the way. Just wanted to say howdy/cheers/thanks to everyone here for helping this one find his way back to ASL. Cheers!

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Howdy Folks, I've been lurking around for some time and felt the time had come to say hi to all you good folks! I'm back into ASL after a long hiatus - to make a short story long, I started with Squad Leader, punching out my dad's copy in the early 90's. Had a blast and moved on to ASL, but teaching myself, I had a hard time unlearning the differences. Still collected the modules though and now I've rediscovered the Starter Kits and that yearning for that feeling you get when you first look at a new map board... Only problem is that all my stuff is back home in Canada while I'm living in Dublin. Still working my way through the ASLSKs though with a plan to move on to ASL proper to make good use of the stuff I've already picked up along the way. Just wanted to say howdy/cheers/thanks to everyone here for helping this one find his way back to ASL. Cheers!
Hi there. I know that dublin has a few ASL players in the area so you may get some help with that transition. Bad news for you is that even after years and years and 100's os scenarios I still manage to remember a SL rule!!!!!!

Enjoy getting back into it

Cheers
Ian

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada

Welcome back to The Game. :)

May we ask what part of the Great White North you hail from?
We are having a minor snow storm at the moment. Perhaps 20 cm since noon, but more on the way. Miss it? :D

Kelas

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llIreland

Thanks Guys! It's been a while, so I'm going slow but enjoying every minute of it, help though would be nice! I'm from Sudbury, ON, so I'm no stranger to snow.:OHNO: Here in Dublin we had some pretty serious snow last year (relatively speaking) It was nice to have a white christmas, the rest of it was crap. Thankfully, we've avoided the snow this year, not like the continent. You know it's bad when the weather is too bad in Paris for rugby!

Cheers!

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States

Thanks Guys! It's been a while, so I'm going slow but enjoying every minute of it, help though would be nice! I'm from Sudbury, ON, so I'm no stranger to snow.:OHNO: Here in Dublin we had some pretty serious snow last year (relatively speaking) It was nice to have a white christmas, the rest of it was crap. Thankfully, we've avoided the snow this year, not like the continent. You know it's bad when the weather is too bad in Paris for rugby!

Cheers!
Welcome to the form, Kelas. Have you looked up Eoin (Delirium)? He's a fine fellow, also in Dublin.

S

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada

Cheers!
I miss green Christmas, especially the Barbi on the beach kind. :cry:
I'd send you some snow, but customs would just confiscate it. :D

horseshoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Welcome to the forums. Lots of good stuff here. Noticed delerium is from Dublin as well. His post is two above yours. Pretty sure he'd help you make the jump into Full ASL.:thumup:

BTW dont worry about remembering an old SL rule, i think we all do that on occasion.:paperbag:

Count_Zero

Reaction score
First name
Josh
Country
llUnited States

Welcome to the forums. Lots of good stuff here. Noticed delerium is from Dublin as well. His post is two above yours. Pretty sure he'd help you make the jump into Full ASL.:thumup:

BTW dont worry about remembering an old SL rule, i think we all do that on occasion.:paperbag:
OK, let's be honest here. Is it that we "remember" an old SL rule or can we finally just admit that we're all "old farts" here and forget things that are probably better left to young lawyers just out of Law School and fresh out of the Bar.

Kelas,

Hopefully you can hook up with someone like Delerium to get you kicked off into our vast playground. We like it here. We love new players. Hope you enjoy our obsession.

Josh

Kelas

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llIreland

I'm definately going to use that; "oh, that must have been the way it worked in SL..." :icon_bs: HA! Let's see how far I can get with that.:D Figured that VASL would be the only option, but there do seem to be some folks here in Dublin. I think I'll have to warn the wife - I'm already hearing "did you get /another/ game?? - No babe, it's a /module/..." Oh sweet, sweet obsessions...