New members introduce yourself here

Joined
Apr 13, 2006
Messages
49
Reaction score
0
Location
USA
Country
llUnited States
I guess My experience is something similar

synicbast said:
Okay I'm not Totally new here but I've hardly frequented the place since I joined. I took a 2 year sabbatical from ASL - disillusioned with a lot of aspects of the overall gaming experience - which has worked out to be the best thing I could have done.

I came back to ASL because a couple of people whose opinions I value mentioned the changes for the better that have occurred. Seeing this at first hand helped, but the real catalyst is VASL 5.2

I really don't think i'd even bother with ASL if it wasn't for VASL, I'm not a good teacher for newbies and frankly ASL (even with the Starter Kits) is too much for most gamers.
P-J
Hi all,

My sabbatical from ASL has been more like 14 years. It is the hope of playing some good games on VASL that has motivated me to look into this forum.

I was travelling a lot, but I am now spending more time in my ancestral home in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

I may not be very active on the forum. For now I plan to lurk and learn.

Cheers
Dan
 

Nevik

Recruit
Joined
Apr 15, 2006
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Location
xxx
Country
llCanada
Hello, my name is Kevin. Just found this site today as prior to this time I had no reason to be here. Obviously, an explanation is in order. I have not played a wargame of any type before, still haven't.... Hadn't even seen one prior to a couple of weeks ago. My wife likes going out to various flea markets, yard and estate sales. Anyway she comes home a couple of weeks ago with two large sealed cardboard boxes marked 'Miscellaneous Board Games'. We open it up and find it full of wargames: ASL rulebook, Beyond Valor, Paratrooper, Yanks, Partisan, West of Alamein, The Last Hurrah, Hollow Legions and Red Barricades. You might think that was enough but there was more. Tobruk, the complete Squad Leader series, Panzer Leader, B-17, Panzerkreig, Fire in The East, and about another 5 or 6 from SPI and GDW that I can't remember the titles of as I write this. All the games have been punched and are complete as far as I can tell. Still sorting out counters, only appears to be about 10,000 to go.The pricely sum paid for all of this? $20 Canadian!!! From what I have since seen on Ebay regarding price, my wife has just committed the crime of the century.

Being a history buff, I want to keep this stuff and play it if/when I get the counters sorted out but I have no idea where to even start aside from looking at the rules. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
 

Jack Dionne

Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2004
Messages
933
Reaction score
3
Location
Winnipeg, Canada
Country
llCanada
Nevik said:
Hello, my name is Kevin. Just found this site today as prior to this time I had no reason to be here. Obviously, an explanation is in order. I have not played a wargame of any type before, still haven't.... Hadn't even seen one prior to a couple of weeks ago. My wife likes going out to various flea markets, yard and estate sales. Anyway she comes home a couple of weeks ago with two large sealed cardboard boxes marked 'Miscellaneous Board Games'. We open it up and find it full of wargames: ASL rulebook, Beyond Valor, Paratrooper, Yanks, Partisan, West of Alamein, The Last Hurrah, Hollow Legions and Red Barricades. You might think that was enough but there was more. Tobruk, the complete Squad Leader series, Panzer Leader, B-17, Panzerkreig, Fire in The East, and about another 5 or 6 from SPI and GDW that I can't remember the titles of as I write this. All the games have been punched and are complete as far as I can tell. Still sorting out counters, only appears to be about 10,000 to go.The pricely sum paid for all of this? $20 Canadian!!! From what I have since seen on Ebay regarding price, my wife has just committed the crime of the century.

Being a history buff, I want to keep this stuff and play it if/when I get the counters sorted out but I have no idea where to even start aside from looking at the rules. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Sounds like you had a good haul to take home. You must remember ASL is a tactical level game. First step for you is learning how to play. Find someone in your area for face-to-face gaming is preferable. I don’t play VASL but lots of people out there do. If you can’t find a face-to-face game then learn VASL and you will never be without an opponent. The Canadian ASL open is in Montreal this year, third weekend from September. If you happen to be in the area you can start your ASL networking.
Welcome.
 

Mike Davis

Recruit
Joined
Apr 15, 2006
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Location
northern Illinois
Country
llUnited States
New to the forum

Greetings All,
I am new to the forum (registered about two minutes ago) and want to say hi. Would be nice to hook up with people for a game. I am 52 and a high school administrator (principal) at kaneland High School (just outside Geneva and St. Charles, Illinois.) I have gamed for 30 + years and as you might guess have more lead and board games then I'll ever play! :cheeky: If, God forbid, my home ever caught fire it would probably burn for a week. I play (well, try to play) ASL and have all modules including the just released Armies of Oblivion. Have pre-ordered Valor of the Guards as well. I do all manner of board games. Miniatures-wise I have Rome and British ancients, German, Russian, and American FOW, Gladiators, Warhammer Empire, 40k Blood Angels, Eldar, Dark Eldar, Necrons, Orcs, and more Board games. Just in, L2 Design's Russian Campaign and MMP's DAK as well as Throneworld. Have cardboard and lead, will travel.
 

Jack Dionne

Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2004
Messages
933
Reaction score
3
Location
Winnipeg, Canada
Country
llCanada
Mike Davis said:
Greetings All,
I am new to the forum (registered about two minutes ago) and want to say hi. Would be nice to hook up with people for a game. I am 52 and a high school administrator (principal) at kaneland High School (just outside Geneva and St. Charles, Illinois.) I have gamed for 30 + years and as you might guess have more lead and board games then I'll ever play! :cheeky: If, God forbid, my home ever caught fire it would probably burn for a week. I play (well, try to play) ASL and have all modules including the just released Armies of Oblivion. Have pre-ordered Valor of the Guards as well. I do all manner of board games. Miniatures-wise I have Rome and British ancients, German, Russian, and American FOW, Gladiators, Warhammer Empire, 40k Blood Angels, Eldar, Dark Eldar, Necrons, Orcs, and more Board games. Just in, L2 Design's Russian Campaign and MMP's DAK as well as Throneworld. Have cardboard and lead, will travel.
Hi Mike,
Welcome and this is the place to learn all you need to know ASL. I wish you lived next door to me by the looks of you bio.
 

Stubinpsu

Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2004
Messages
60
Reaction score
3
Location
Northern Virginia
First name
Stuart
Country
llUnited States
Howdy all,

I'm new to the forum but have been playing ASL since 1998. I was fairliy active on the ASL mailing list from 1998 to 2000- quite an entertaining time!.

I'm a memeber of the DC Area Conscripts ASL club.

Stu
 

Stevo76

Recruit
Joined
Apr 19, 2006
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Location
South Korea
Country
llNew Zealand
Strange situation. Kiwi. Living in Korea. Job is one big cruise. Lots of free time, which means I have to learn ASL!!!!! Started off with the SK's. Just bought the ASL rule book and BV. Could be a life changing experience!!!! Love it!!!!!!!!!
 

synicbast

ASLOK Junkie
Joined
Jan 28, 2003
Messages
1,482
Reaction score
223
Location
Wellington New Zealand
First name
Peter
Country
llNew Zealand
Stevo76 said:
Strange situation. Kiwi. Living in Korea. Job is one big cruise. Lots of free time, which means I have to learn ASL!!!!! Started off with the SK's. Just bought the ASL rule book and BV. Could be a life changing experience!!!! Love it!!!!!!!!!
You know you have to get into VASL, there are a few Kiwis on here who get onto VASL, and there's at least one Kiwi who lives in Taiwan so timezone differences won't be as marked.
 

KH Wodenssen

Recruit
Joined
May 1, 2006
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Location
Las Vegas
Country
llUnited States
Hi All

Well I have taken the leap again , I just ordered The ASL Rulebook 2nd Edition and the 3rd edition Beyond Valor I havent played since 1991 when the army sent me to play in the desert several moves about the country and jobs later I have decided to revisit my old hobbies. I have been reading the site
here for a day or so and I am impressed that ASL is thriving still.
Should I get the ASl Starter Kit #1
or should I just leap into Beyond Valor?

KH Wodenssen
 

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Jul 26, 2003
Messages
18,698
Reaction score
4,354
Location
St-Légier
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
KH Wodenssen said:
Well I have taken the leap again , I just ordered The ASL Rulebook 2nd Edition and the 3rd edition Beyond Valor I havent played since 1991 when the army sent me to play in the desert several moves about the country and jobs later I have decided to revisit my old hobbies. I have been reading the site
here for a day or so and I am impressed that ASL is thriving still.
Should I get the ASl Starter Kit #1
or should I just leap into Beyond Valor?
KH Wodenssen
Welcome here ! :banana:
What remains of your preceding ASL experience ?
If your memory is good enough, go for full swing ASL.
Otherwise, take the SK road.
Anyway, if you are hooked, you'll buy both...:rolleyes:
Try VASL to find opponents and people that will help you learn by playing the game.
 

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Joined
Sep 27, 2003
Messages
2,998
Reaction score
93
Location
Alki Point
Country
llUnited States
Hi, KH

Welcome!

If you can wait til the Rulebook arrives might I recommend reading Chapter A. It won't be too long before you either realize "I need this simplified first"--order the SK; or "Oh, yeah!"--start finding opponents.
 

KH Wodenssen

Recruit
Joined
May 1, 2006
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Location
Las Vegas
Country
llUnited States
I think I am gonna have to get the SK, I was looking at the contents and I think it might be a big help especially if I want to teach someone else to play:)
 

Randys

Member
Joined
Apr 6, 2005
Messages
43
Reaction score
0
Location
York
Country
llUnited States
Coming in from the cold

I have been here before but the board has sure changed. Nice to know my account moved along. My name is Randy and I am from York PA. I have been playing ASL since ASl waas first introduced. Before that I was mainly into SL and the Panzerblitz/Panzer Leader. I also have a thing for naval battles, some of my favorites there are the fleet battles from Victory, Wooden ships and Iron men even Star Trek simulator.:halo: As of late I haven't even thought about ASL until the UPS man delivered my copy of AOO which I thought was stuck in permanent limbo. I am slowly getting back into the game and spent last night dusting off my trays and maps. Hope to see you all around some.
 

NOS

Recruit
Joined
May 7, 2006
Messages
24
Reaction score
0
Location
Fredericton
Country
llCanada
Introduction

Long time lurker, first time poster. Name's Nathan.

A few years back I tried to self-teach myself this game and played a handful of games with friends using a small number of rules from the ASLRB, and a large number of rules "inspired" by the ASLRB. By which I mean, I got so much wrong that I suspect many of the readers here would not recognize it.

Anyway, after getting sick of playing the same 3 Paratroopers scenarios over and over again, I drifted away. Starter kits brought me back, and have done wonders for me. The ASLRB is a much more understandable beast now, and I'm moving on to some BV3 scenarios. If MMP needs any more praise for the SKs, I'll add my own: Before the SKs I was some guy who bought the ASLRB and Paratroopers once... After the SKs I'm some guy that's preordering MMP products whenever I can afford it!
 

StvMac

Recruit
Joined
May 10, 2006
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Location
Florida
Country
llUnited States
Hello all;

Name: Steve

Local: FL

Playing SK's (1,2,...)

Started with SL,CoI,CoD in 1978 after reading about it in the now defunct General. Restarted SK's last year with close friend.

Enjoy it very much, friend has taught me well. Lost many, won some.
 

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Jul 26, 2003
Messages
18,698
Reaction score
4,354
Location
St-Légier
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Welcome here, http://www.strategyzoneonline.com/forums/member.php?u=9787StvMac !
You are among a lot of people that played SL and didn't climb up in the ASL adventure when it began.
The SKs definitely serve to introduce your player profile to ASL, in addition to the fact they help total newbies discover the hobby.
Feel free to ask questions in the rules subforum.

Cheers

Robin
 

Edvard

Member
Joined
May 12, 2006
Messages
362
Reaction score
1
Location
Madrid
Country
llSpain
Greetings!

To all of you grognards out there,

thank you for your kind invitation to us new types to make ourselves known to you!

Allow me to introduce myself. I should have done this last week, but I got completely humiliated last Tuesday evening when my forces were wiped out to a man, at the total cost of one squad to my adversary. (Storming the Factory, I played Russians.) Consequently, my morale has been somewhat low, and my interest in ASL has declined dramatically this week. Still, not to worry, I have a new opportunity to get the vaseline out on Monday night. Last week it was only good honest infantrymen getting viciously murdered, this time my "mate" Toni will get to fry my poor tank crews alive... (Paw of the Tiger, I don't know if I'll be Krauts or Russkies, but it doesn't matter, I'll end up getting murdered either way.):cry:

When I've recuperated my morale a little, and can bring myself to ask why it was that I got so utterly anihilated, then I'll put up some posts asking about basic street fighting defence tactics. Also, can anybody tell me how a 628 squad can possibly do anything about an SS 658 killer stack at 5 hexes range?

Oh, it can't. That's the answer then...

Cheers, and see you soon.

"Mad" Eddy.
 

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Jul 26, 2003
Messages
18,698
Reaction score
4,354
Location
St-Légier
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Welcome Edvard !

Don't worry too much : losing at ASL is frequent.
In fact, even if this is mathematically impossible, I think more people loose than win...:nuts:

About your 628, use skulking extensively (moving out of LOS during MPh and taking your place back during APh - or grow a ? counter without advancing - you can switch with other squads so that you present a concealed unit 'front') and jump on any PBF or CC occasion...
 

Edvard

Member
Joined
May 12, 2006
Messages
362
Reaction score
1
Location
Madrid
Country
llSpain
628s and bravery

Hahahaha,

of course Robin, you're totally right. Skulking is the only way for a 628 to survive in those circumstances, but it goes against my grain of macho "I can take it"-ism. I should resign myself to the fact that he who wins at ASL is he who knows how to manipulate the rules, and it's got nothing to do with realism, and certainly not bravery. He who is brave in ASL winneth seldom...

Sorry mate, I'm busy studying Greek philosophy for some upcoming exams, (don't ask,) and I'm feeling a bit lyrical...:nuts:

Cheers, and see you around soon...

E.
 
Top