New members introduce yourself here

nextofkin65

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Ian,

The hotel website was coming up fully booked but when I rang to double check they did have a room so I'm in for all three nights (10, 11 and 12). Pete tells me they block book the hotel and if you don't mention Heroes you might be turned away.

I will probably aim to get up there by lunchtime on Thursday so that I can make the most of the long weekend. Pencil me in for a session (Friday?) and we can fit something in around your Tournament commitments. I will also have a word with Pete and see if he can match me up with some of the other new recruits.

I imagine I will find everyone in the bar!

Mike

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Ian,

The hotel website was coming up fully booked but when I rang to double check they did have a room so I'm in for all three nights (10, 11 and 12). Pete tells me they block book the hotel and if you don't mention Heroes you might be turned away.

I will probably aim to get up there by lunchtime on Thursday so that I can make the most of the long weekend. Pencil me in for a session (Friday?) and we can fit something in around your Tournament commitments. I will also have a word with Pete and see if he can match me up with some of the other new recruits.

I imagine I will find everyone in the bar!

Mike
I don't play the tournament so we should have plenty of oppertunities. I am bringing my nephew James with me, he has been playing for the last two years and will be his first Con. Most of the newish players will be just playing friendly. Looking forward to it. This time in 4 weeks I will be very very tired!!!

Another tip, bring plenty of water and go for walks every couple of games

Ian

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I'm also a short-term Canadian resident (2.5 years of an expected 3.5 year sentence completed), hopefully heading home to the US when done.

S
And what 'orrible crime did you commit to warrant such an extended sentence in a maximum (social) security institution? :cry:

Frankly, I would have characterized your stay as more of an extended vacation from the Protestant work-ethic driven US workplace than a "sentence." :hush:

But then, you are incarcerated in Toronto. So perhaps commiserations are in order after all. :devious:

Enjoy your free (ASL) time while you have it. :clown:

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
And what 'orrible crime did you commit to warrant such an extended sentence in a maximum (social) security institution? :cry:

Frankly, I would have characterized your stay as more of an extended vacation from the Protestant work-ethic driven US workplace than a "sentence." :hush:

But then, you are incarcerated in Toronto. So perhaps commiserations are in order after all. :devious:

Enjoy your free (ASL) time while you have it. :clown:
What can I say, I like it most days, but this place makes me fell like an :alien:

Plus, beer's way too expensive.

S

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
What can I say, this place makes me fell like an :alien:

S
My oh my, aren't we Johnny-on the-spot with the replies. Be grateful that of all the Canadian cities you could have been stuck in, at least you picked the ONE with a major league baseball franchise!

As for feeling like an alien, try living where I do. :mad:

At least when you return "home" it will feel like a homecoming and not a life sentence. :groan:

Last edited:

Dave Booth

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My name is Mike and I play ASL. I’ve been using the Gamesquad forum for a year or so and thought it was about time I introduced myself.

By way of background, I got bitten by the SL bug first time around back in the late 1970s and went on to dabble in pretty much everything else published by AH and SPI, and somehow still found the time to play D&D, Traveller and other RPGs too. I lost the faith in mid 1980s when I went off to university but rediscovered board wargaming thanks to the internet. I have slowly bought my way back into the hobby, picking up most of the ASL core modules together with the MMP journals and action packs (as well as other MMP and GMT titles). I am now eagerly awaiting the appearance of the new Pacific and desert modules to complete the set.

I recently moved back to the UK from Nova Scotia and am living in my old home town of Liverpool. I am looking now to make the jump from solitaire to face-to-face play, as well as figuring out how to use VASSAL. I see from previous posts that there is an ASL community in Liverpool, but I am not sure yet where they meet up. Pete Phillips’ View From the Trenches has also been a great source of information about ASL in the UK and I am hoping that I can finally make it to my first gathering - the forthcoming Heroes event at Blackpool over the weekend of 10 – 13 March.
Hi Mike I live just up the road from you in Warrington and I am also planning on going to Blackpool in March so I'm sure we can arrange something if you fancy touching base just message me and I will give you my contact details too. Welcome back.

Dave Booth

nextofkin65

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Hi Dave,

Thanks for that. If you manage to make it up to Blackpool then give me a shout and when we can fit a game in. Things are all over the place on the domestic front here right now (we've got builders in and are both in new job search mode) but once we get ourselves sorted out we could perhaps meet up. We've bought an old cottage in Woolton so we are probably only 25-30 minutes from you. I also plan to try and find the Dale Street meet-up for the Liverpool Wargames Association if you fancy that one night.

Regards,

Mike

Dave Booth

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Dave,

Thanks for that. If you manage to make it up to Blackpool then give me a shout and when we can fit a game in. Things are all over the place on the domestic front here right now (we've got builders in and are both in new job search mode) but once we get ourselves sorted out we could perhaps meet up. We've bought an old cottage in Woolton so we are probably only 25-30 minutes from you. I also plan to try and find the Dale Street meet-up for the Liverpool Wargames Association if you fancy that one night.

Regards,

Mike
Hi Mike,

Sure I work for my self and can take time off any time so give me a shout I and will meet you any time and wish you well on the job front.
regards,

Dave

paulyj

Reaction score
Country
ll
Hi Mike,
Welcome to GS. I play at the Liverpool Wargames Club so drop me a PM if you want any more details. Will be going to Heroes as well so will see you there.
All the best,
Paul

nextofkin65

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Hi Paul,

Thanks for your message. I have sent you a PM on the Wargames Club.

See you at Blackpool - I'm working on my list of scenarios as I type!

Mike

ArEs417

Recruit
Reaction score
Hello, My name is Richard. I gotten into war games back in the early to mid 90's. Besides war games, I play miniatures and other strategy games that don't necessarily fall into the sub-genre 'war' . I've been more or less collecting games in the past and now since I have more time I like to start playing them.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Hi, Welcome to the forum. Have you played much ASL then? How much have you collected?

Snowy

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Hey everyone, Kelvin here. Based down in Cornwall, UK. Been a miniature wargamer and boardgamer for years but with two little un's found my time for socializing and gaming ftf drastically reduced! Looking for some solitaire friendly wargames I picked up a copy of the ASL starter pack 1 (which i'd been peeking at afar for years), and by the second scenario I was hooked. It all just clicked and worked, so many choices and strategies :) since then i've worked through the 2nd starter kit and bonus pack, sold a good deal of my old games/mini's and now been on the hunt trying to source a 2nd edition rulebook in the UK for a few weeks. Only wish i'd made the jump years ago...

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hey everyone, Kelvin here. Based down in Cornwall, UK. Been a miniature wargamer and boardgamer for years but with two little un's found my time for socializing and gaming ftf drastically reduced! Looking for some solitaire friendly wargames I picked up a copy of the ASL starter pack 1 (which i'd been peeking at afar for years), and by the second scenario I was hooked. It all just clicked and worked, so many choices and strategies :) since then i've worked through the 2nd starter kit and bonus pack, sold a good deal of my old games/mini's and now been on the hunt trying to source a 2nd edition rulebook in the UK for a few weeks. Only wish i'd made the jump years ago...
Hi John

2nd edition rules should not be too difficult in the UK as it has only just gone out of print. Beyound Valour also not a problem (though the first edition should be fairly easy and cheap, 2nd edition is a doddle but expensive. That said its a good quality mod with excellent cut counters and you get more boards and scenarios with the 2nd edition.

Good luck. Also check out VASL, there you can play others live or PBeM and with Skype it's almost as good as FTF

Ian

Snowy

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Thanks, Yep definitely checking out VASL, getting a new headset soon for skype and I should be set.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thanks, Yep definitely checking out VASL, getting a new headset soon for skype and I should be set.
Opponents wanted is a great place to find some one to play. Say what skill level you think you have and what sort of scenario you want to play, time zone times you are available and off you go.

Ian

Dave Booth

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Welcome aboard, I'm from warrington and just returned back to ASL after a good few years away too. I've been helped by a top guy on here with Vasel and Vassal as you need both to play and here is the link to http://forums.gamesquad.com/showthread.php?96748-Vasl-5.92 the information on here and someone kindly sent me all the maps if you are unable to find them let me know and I'll forward them onto you.

Dave B

Snowy

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Welcome aboard, I'm from warrington and just returned back to ASL after a good few years away too. I've been helped by a top guy on here with Vasel and Vassal as you need both to play and here is the link to http://forums.gamesquad.com/showthread.php?96748-Vasl-5.92 the information on here and someone kindly sent me all the maps if you are unable to find them let me know and I'll forward them onto you.

Dave B
Ah, that explains a lot, thanks for the link Dave! Was having a few probs getting it running a few weeks ago but looks like the thread explains it all. Got my mic/headset ordered so should be good to go soon. cheers.

Dave Booth

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Snowy,
You are welcome mate but it all comes down to carl he spent an hour on the phone with me from the States last week.

Have fun.

Dave B

cinnabar

Recruit
Reaction score
Hi all... 50 y/o player from San Jose. Getting back into the hobby after too many years of kid sports. Been playing since SL days. Don't get to go to Silicon Valley ASL club meets often enough.