New members introduce yourself here

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Fill the glasses , gents.

I'm Jack. Located in A2 Michigan. Played some with a fanatical friend in the early release days of the 80s but never mastered the game. Recently, (last couple months) bought the rules, installed VASL and started digging.

I've been in Michigan a couple years and miss my college buddies with whom I would play games regularly for the last 20 years. Love games of conflict and would like to enjoy the spirit of competition even though I have yet to meet up with any local gamers. ASL offers everything I could want for a regular game.

Now - back to a pod cast (Motors day ...2 half squads) and the dreaded rules. Realized last night I counted adjacent units incorrectly when I had a FG with one participant on level 1 and the rest on the ground outside. More to learn.

Slainte !

Jack
Hi Jack

welcome to the forrum. Just a quick point. You will always have a lot to learn. Even knowing the rules is not enough then you have to master the buggers!!!! Just enjoy the experiance and as you meet new players they will each give you more food for thought

Cheers
Ian

oweng

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hey all,
have been lurking in the wings (with regards to ASL) since about 2004-2005 and this year have decided to take the plunge. Am completely new to ASL and GS. Picked up a large quantity of good material 2nd hand from a local player exiting the scene and am starting to make my first exploratory steps with the full 2nd Ed ruleset. Have only played 3.5 games so far (mainly just infantry, and in a piecemeal manner thank goodness) but am thoroughly enjoying myself. Fortunately I have some good mentors within driving distance who are prepared to assist me on my journey, which in itself is something of a small miracle considering I live in the sticks. Really looking forward to the journey ahead. Quite enjoying reading the ASL material here on GS. Kudos to you all. Hopefully one day I can contribute something back.
Owen,
Melbourne (kinda), Australia.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Hi Owen,
Welcome to the forum and ASL. :thumup: I'm sure you will enjoy yourself with both.
Jan.

Grumblejones

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just joined. Been active in SL and ASL since 1978. Took a leave of absence from '97-10 due to relocating away from gaming buds, but back in the saddle now with SKYPE. Relearning the rules has been a snap...cause I won't admit to ever knowing them that well to begin with. I love the game though and am very happy to be playing again. After all, what is life without ASL...WORK....

So look forward to expressing my dubious opinions from time to time.

Grumblejones

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Just joined. Been active in SL and ASL since 1978. Took a leave of absence from '97-10 due to relocating away from gaming buds, but back in the saddle now with SKYPE. Relearning the rules has been a snap...cause I won't admit to ever knowing them that well to begin with. I love the game though and am very happy to be playing again. After all, what is life without ASL...WORK....

So look forward to expressing my dubious opinions from time to time.

Grumblejones
Hi there. Lots of players use VASL & Skype here. I tend to prefer to play solo, and I really enjoy it. But I know I can turn to VASL should I ever want to. Welcome! I hope you have great fun.

oweng

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Thanks Honza. I intend to try my best to break the ASL enjoyometer. I have a number of small projects lined up related to getting my gear in order, which are a bit of fun to do in between doing my head in on the rulebook, and waiting for the next FtF game.

chopin38

Recruit
Reaction score
Havent played in....hrmm. 12 years? Went to look for my gear( had all ASL modules up to KG I)....gone. I was in tears. I have all the non-informational counters, 1/2 the mapboards, and the entire original rulebook in another case. Looked to see what this would cost to replace...HOLY COW. I must have had 4k worth of stuff!

Went from tears to tearing up my garage. No luck. But, I might be back---when I come up with the cash to replace my system, if ever.

Quigley's Ghost

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
I feel for you. 18 years ago, I had everything up to KGPI/Gung Ho before I went on a world travelling binge and, a "friend" absconded with all the gaming material, LPs, and stereo left in his safekeeping.

Just took the plunge and started reacquiring ASL a couple of months ago. It'll be quite a while, if ever, before I have the dosh to round out the whole collection. At least things are coming back into print. For some time it seemed like the only way to get most stuff was to pay through the nose on ebay. If MMP keeps to schedule, at least the core modules should be doable in the not too distant future.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I feel for both of you, what a kick in the happy sack!!!! Tales like this make you gratfull of what you have!!!

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
I feel for both of you, what a kick in the happy sack!!!! Tales like this make you gratfull of what you have!!!
Hey Ian, I just noticed you have tidied up your avatar. It looks much better now than the blurry image it was before.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi Jan

I think the system did it. Must look up another pic and use that as I've aparantly been a ROUNDHEAD for so long. Roundhead indeed!!!

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Oh, I don't know. I'm partial to New Model Army. :bite:

Slade the Leveller is no looker--in fact, he looks more like a long-hair from the opposite camp. :D But NMA lyrics are thought provoking, even if I don't agree with everything Justin has to say. Another underrated act from the UK. Actually discovered NMA in a record store in Hamburg in '85.

Oh, and I take exception with the song "51st State." For good or bad, Canada probably deserves that title more than any other country--tied at the hip, er 49th parallel, as we are. :hush:

Actually got to see NMA live in the late 80s. It was in a tiny club on the market in Ottawa, less than a klick from my house! Small world after all ;) Vagabond was awesome, especially given that I was just steps from the violin player when they played it. Bad Old World is another great track. The older stuff off of their Vengeance album, which I picked up in Hamburg, leaves you in no doubt as to their political and moral convictions. NMA also has a catalogue of tender tracks including: Green and Grey, Queen of My Heart, and my wife's favourite Lullaby:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5EkpwgPG1E

And in case you think that I forgot about ASL in this thread, check out the lyrics in NMA's Marrakesh:

My dice still roll in sixes
And yours still turn up ones
And I have taken my good fortune
And I´ve run and run

If only it were so :)

Last edited:

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Oh, I don't know. I'm partial to New Model Army. :bite:

Slade the Leveller is no looker--in fact, he looks more like a long-hair from the opposite camp. :D But NMA lyrics are thought provoking, even if I don't agree with everything Justin has to say. Another underrated act from the UK. Actually discovered NMA in a record store in Hamburg in '85.

Oh, and I take exception with the song "51st State." For good or bad, Canada probably deserves that title more than any other country--tied at the hip, er 49th parallel, as we are. :hush:

Actually got to see NMA live in the late 80s. It was in a tiny club on the market in Ottawa, less than a klick from my house! Small world after all ;) Vagabond was awesome, especially given that I was just steps from the violin player when they played it. Bad Old World is another great track. The older stuff off of their Vengeance album, which I picked up in Hamburg, leaves you in no doubt as to their political and moral convictions. NMA also has a catalogue of tender tracks including: Green and Grey and Queen of My Heart, and my wife's favourite Lullaby:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5EkpwgPG1E

And in case you think that I forgot about ASL in this thread, check out the lyrics in NMA's Marrakesh:

My dice still roll in sixes
And yours still turn up ones
And I have taken my good fortune
And I´ve run and run

If only it were so :)
I am a New Model Army fan, but in fact it's the original one. 15mm full army and also a good chunk of my civil war libary is NMA. Anglia Redivera is one of my favorites. Royalist by perswation but what a army. Many go on about the redcoats etc. but it was the NMA that won England (then Britain) it's fame as a army of power (though the NMA was the origins of the red coat. This was from the original NMA coats being supplied from captured Vatican cloth or as called at the time Venitian Red).

What's ASL?)
Ian

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Uh, right. Wrong forum, sorry. Which way to the miniatures page? :laugh:

Did not know the origin of "Red Coats." Thanks.
Keeping off topic for a little longer (well it's the season).

One of Englands most famous regiments the Coldstream Guard was in fact originally a New Model Regiment!!!!! and was sent to a location called Coldstream to guard against the return of King Charles II but ended up escourting him to London. So the most famous Royal regiment was in fact the opposite at its conception. You just can't make this stuff up!! The Royal Navy was a joke till Cromwell came alongand turned it into a respected fighting force. And last off. Cromwell WAS NOT the commander of the New Model that defeated Charles I he was Lt General and as such was second in command (he was in charge of the Horse). Sir Thomas Fairfax was the commanding officer (Lord General). Cromwell took over between the Civil Wars.

For anyone new looking, we spend the rest of the time playing and talking about THE GAME