New members introduce yourself here

micky

That costs HOW much now??
Reaction score
Greetings all,

I'm a long-time ASLer returning to the fold after an extended (15+ years) time away and in need of rebuilding my ASL collection from scratch.
welcome to the forum... I recently came back to ASL after an extended time away myself. I was amazed by everything that has come out (third party) while I was away. Some really interesting stuff and an adventure of sorts to explore and find the good.. and avoid the dogs.

then of course there is the adventure of finding the core products hahah. Rules and BV you can find at good prices, for earlier versions. If there is anything I can help you with.. feel free to PM me.

Quigley's Ghost

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Thanks again for the info, all.

I've tracked down most of what I want at reasonable prices. The one exception seems to be Yanks - even ebay seems dry at the moment. I guess I'll be playing a lot of Eastern Front and France '40 scenarios to start. Does Pegasus Bridge come with enough Brits to play any of the scenarios?

Now I just have to wait for the mail, twice - once to my folks in the States, and once more over here.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
If I remember correctly, there are enough Pegasus Bridge British counters to play all except one scenario and the campaign game.

micky

That costs HOW much now??
Reaction score
Yanks will come around on ebay, I did get mine last month at a very reasonable price.. mainly because there were so damn many available. Sure it varies between downpour and drought with those products.

Quigley's Ghost

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Yeah, no worries. I've ordered BV, VotG, CdG, and Pegasus Bridge . That ought to keep me busy until FKaC shows up to give me my Western Front fix, not to mention DB when I can spring for it. Maybe throw in the PTO, the Finnish, and the Italian modules, whenever they show, and I might not need Yanks until MMP gets around to revising it.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Greetings All,

I've been mostly lurking for a couple of months. About time I made a proper introduction. Like many, I played SL as a teen and then life got in the way for many years. Got back into historical miniatures about 10 years ago and then reintroduced myself to ASL about 2 years ago.

I live just outside of Atlanta, GA but will be transferring to Morocco later this summer. Not expecting to find any other players there (although would be happy to be surprised) so I'm hoping to make it to a few of the European tourneys over the next few years.

Married with 4 children, 3 daughters (22, 19, 13) and one son (16) who gratefully provides some in-home ftf games!

Cheers,
Joseph
Welcome aboard and enjoy the forums.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello there

I think it's time I introduce myself here. My name is Óli. I'm from Iceland and I'm currently doing a BA in history at the university of Iceland. I'm married, and I have 3 kids.

I've had ASL system for some 16 years but never really got into playing for various reasons. This january I started again and managed to double my played scens during that last month. I'm hoping that this time I will make it stick. :)

Cheers
Óli
Oli, Welcome aboard. If you do not have a face to face opponent, try VASL. It will connect you to the world of ASL players.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the info. The Budapest HASL sounds particularly intriguing, though I suspect I'll need to track down a copy of AoO before hand.

Current plans are to purchase the core rules, BV, VotG, and - finances permitting - preorder FKaC. That'll keep me busy for a while.

I've been sporadically keeping track of ASL developments over the past couple of years, and it's good to see that things seem to be heating up again - it seemed like everything was OOP for quite some time. I'm glad to hear that the Japanese are in the offing (CBI has always been a favorite). A reprint of RB would be nice, though, both to accompany VotG and for old times sake. Here's hoping.
The counters for RB came inside the VoTGs module. So if you can find the map and rules, you are set for city fighting. But I believe MMP just may republish RB because of the Red October module that is in their development pipeline.

Hope to see all the HASLs and the core modules back in print in the near, or very near future (before December 20, 2012 at least).

ASL Maineiac

Reaction score
Greetings All,

I've been mostly lurking for a couple of months. About time I made a proper introduction. Like many, I played SL as a teen and then life got in the way for many years. Got back into historical miniatures about 10 years ago and then reintroduced myself to ASL about 2 years ago.

I live just outside of Atlanta, GA but will be transferring to Morocco later this summer. Not expecting to find any other players there (although would be happy to be surprised) so I'm hoping to make it to a few of the European tourneys over the next few years.

Married with 4 children, 3 daughters (22, 19, 13) and one son (16) who gratefully provides some in-home ftf games!

Cheers,
Joseph
Welcome Joseph! Glad to help in any way I can, either with questions or a VASL game.
What is sending you to Morocco? North Africa is a place I hope to visit within the next couple of years.
Cheers,
Whit

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
New to the discussion boards here, ASL player since 1990. old VASL pbem'er from 3.02 and 4.0 version days. Just got version 5.8.1 tonite. Looking for pbem opponents as my work sked doesn't support ftf play too much. Alo, if anyone can point me in the right direction to contact fellow ASL'r named Pierce Mason, if he is still online, I would appreciate the assistance.

KRL..
Jon Halfin
witchbottles@gmail.com

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
New to the discussion boards here, ASL player since 1990. old VASL pbem'er from 3.02 and 4.0 version days. Just got version 5.8.1 tonite. Looking for pbem opponents as my work sked doesn't support ftf play too much. Alo, if anyone can point me in the right direction to contact fellow ASL'r named Pierce Mason, if he is still online, I would appreciate the assistance.

KRL..
Jon Halfin
witchbottles@gmail.com
Hi Jon

Welcome aboard. In case you have yet to find it, best place to post for a PBEM game is opponents wanted section. I found you get plenty of answer's.

Sorry don't know the name of the guy your trying to track down.

Cheers
Ian

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany

KRL..
Jon Halfin
witchbottles@gmail.com
Go to the community short cut, at the top of the page, then members Members list, hit the P and he is on page 6

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

KRL..
Jon Halfin
witchbottles@gmail.com
Jon,

Welcome aboard.

If you ever see Pierce Mason, tell him he needs to visit Texas again.

As a matter of fact, you need to visit Austin Texas at the end of June.

We have a GREAT (the best actually) Team Tournament then.

Darin Scriber

Recruit
Reaction score
My name is Darin Scriber and I have been playing SL / ASL for about 30 years (with time off for wife and kids). I am located in Battle Creek, MI. The last year I have picked up a few games with Chris Garrett and Doug Lynes as well as the KAASL events. While I do have VASL, pbem is not an option as I need a new modem. I am interested in meeting some other individuals for face to face. I also make it up north to the Traverse City area from time to time.

Alot has come out through MMP that I don't have. My rulebook is a testament to my not having bought any stuff in a while: its pieces are connected with box tape.

This forum seems to be very active and positive. Keep up the good work.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
My name is Darin Scriber and I have been playing SL / ASL for about 30 years (with time off for wife and kids). I am located in Battle Creek, MI. The last year I have picked up a few games with Chris Garrett and Doug Lynes as well as the KAASL events. While I do have VASL, pbem is not an option as I need a new modem. I am interested in meeting some other individuals for face to face. I also make it up north to the Traverse City area from time to time.

Alot has come out through MMP that I don't have. My rulebook is a testament to my not having bought any stuff in a while: its pieces are connected with box tape.

This forum seems to be very active and positive. Keep up the good work.
Hi Darin,

Welcome aboard. I'm in the UK so I can't be much help finding FtF opponents. But if you stick around you will probably meet other members here in your area. There are some guys in the MI area...

Cheers.

Earthpig

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I know there are some ASL Grogs from the Grand Rapids area. I don't know how long a drive that is for you.:hmmm:
Mark Devries is from a 'burb near there, Ada MI.

Darin Scriber

Recruit
Reaction score
I've heard there are a number of guys in the GR area. Heck, I used to work at Amway years ago and their headquarters is in Ada. Its about an hour away, so well within the driving range.

Hopefully, some respond so I can get contact info.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I've heard there are a number of guys in the GR area. Heck, I used to work at Amway years ago and their headquarters is in Ada. Its about an hour away, so well within the driving range.

Hopefully, some respond so I can get contact info.
Hi

put a thread in Opponents wanted section and if they look into that section you are sorted. Less people look in this page so you increase your chances. Also make comments in some of the other threads. I always look at where someone is from when reading responces and due to this have a few friends I get to play against. I have found that all the players I have contacted and met up with have been great guys. I am at a torny this weekend and will be meeting some guys for the first time and others who are now regular opponents and all I count as friends. Games Squad was the door to these people and it's a great tool to find them. I wish you luck and hope you find it as positive as I.

On a different subject LOC, LOL what memories that brought back, my parents did the stuff for a few years back in the 70's or 80's.

Cheers
Ian

airstrike

Recruit
Reaction score
Fill the glasses , gents.

I'm Jack. Located in A2 Michigan. Played some with a fanatical friend in the early release days of the 80s but never mastered the game. Recently, (last couple months) bought the rules, installed VASL and started digging.

I've been in Michigan a couple years and miss my college buddies with whom I would play games regularly for the last 20 years. Love games of conflict and would like to enjoy the spirit of competition even though I have yet to meet up with any local gamers. ASL offers everything I could want for a regular game.

Now - back to a pod cast (Motors day ...2 half squads) and the dreaded rules. Realized last night I counted adjacent units incorrectly when I had a FG with one participant on level 1 and the rest on the ground outside. More to learn.

Slainte !

Jack