Manilianus

His Royal Fubar
Reaction score
First name
Michał
Country
llPoland
Hi all,

first of all, sorry for my grammar :p. what can I say, I live in Poland and have discovered old SL by happy accident years ago when I was twelve or so. Years have passed and so my attention to the wargames, until a year ago when, driven by a sentiment, I bought Combat Commander. I realised that The Stars Are Right and decided to go to ASL quite recently , when I bought Starter Kit series. People are saying that ASL is not worth the effort, but "I pity the fools!" who don't rejoice in grognarding :)

I've studied the ASL rulebook and are waiting now for a BV reprint. I don't want old or used copies, and they say "patience is a bliss", but I hope I won't be blessed for long.

Besides ASL I'm a RPG fan, Call of Cthulhu above all. Oh, and I'm waiting for the Up Front 20000000...

TMike

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
TMike here from Columbia, Missouri, USA. I played SL and then ASL back in high school, college, and for a while after college. Then spent a good many years too busy working to earn money to have time to play ASL. Every few years I'd get the unction to play however and would pull out the ASL games for a scenario or two, then pack them away again. Lately however I found I just hadn't put them back and now am really getting back into it. Most all I have is old Avalon Hill issue. Just recently bought Action Packs 2 and 4 from MMP though. Playing Few Returned's "First Cristot" against myself currently.

As far as I know, there are rumored to be 2 or 3 other ASL players here in Columbia, Missouri. This is according to the owner of the only real game store we have here in Columbia.

Oh yeah, I guess I should mention that college was 20 years ago for me. What astounds me is that I'm still learning things from the Rule Book that I either didn't catch before or had forgotten over the years!

Hello All !

Last edited:

mummykitty

Reaction score
Hi, I'm Dan Owsen. I live in the Pacific Northwest and play all kinds of war games. Long time ASL player, getting ready to start up a Valor of the Guards CG so I hopped on here to see if there were any good tips. :devious:

I'm also on Boardgamegeek, where I put most of my play data.

Count_Zero

Reaction score
First name
Josh
Country
llUnited States
Hi, I'm Dan Owsen. I live in the Pacific Northwest and play all kinds of war games. Long time ASL player, getting ready to start up a Valor of the Guards CG so I hopped on here to see if there were any good tips. :devious:

I'm also on Boardgamegeek, where I put most of my play data.
Where in the Pac NW?

tweaker

Reaction score
I'm new to ASL. I'm in the process of learning the starter kit rules, and I'm hoping to play some locally and on VASL.

I have played rpgs and Battletech since the early 90's. I'm hoping some of that experience will carry over. I also play some euro board games as well.

Anyway, I hope everyone is having a good week.

Oh, I'm in Phoenix, AZ.

BruceC

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Welcome to the fold Tweak. I think I saw you at the server last night.

If you are at the server and have a question or two, most anyone there is willing to help out. And if I'm around, ask away, I can usually find someone who knows something.... :)

BC

glandowski

Reaction score
Greetings:

Gabriel Landowski - solo SL player making the transition to ASL with all three Starter Kits and ASLRB1. Was referred to this forum by an accomplice of another forum.

Cheers

tweaker

Reaction score
Welcome to the fold Tweak. I think I saw you at the server last night.

If you are at the server and have a question or two, most anyone there is willing to help out. And if I'm around, ask away, I can usually find someone who knows something.... :)

BC
I stopped by briefly. I'm getting over a cold, so I figured I'd jump on and start to figure out how the VASL program worked. But I was too sick to actual play.

Thanks for the offer for help. I intend to spend more time playing there.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Greetings:

Gabriel Landowski - solo SL player making the transition to ASL with all three Starter Kits and ASLRB1. Was referred to this forum by an accomplice of another forum.

Cheers
Welcome! I play ASL solo a lot. But I know that with VASL I could play opponents. There is an opportunity for FTF ASL coming my way - but 'real 'life' dictates.... :OHNO:

I hope you enjoy getting into ASL, this forum will help.

Me-ish

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Okay Mr. Swiss,
I joined here a while ago but have not been very active.
Now I have posted on 'players wanted' and have a taker straight away.
Having explored the site a bit now I can see that I need 20+ forum posts to use a custom avatar. Thus this is my new gentle goal.

Kind Regards
Jonathan.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Mr Swiss... tee hee.
Call me Montagu.
I hope you will have fun around here.

garyB

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey Gang,

Decided to open an account here to share the stuff I work on (pick at, really). Started with SL in the 70's as a lad (actually started with PB/PL, and I am still drawn to that scale of simulation for WWII), moved to ASL a few years after it came out. Have most of the AH/MMP stuff and many CH stuff, and a few HOB stuff. Been working on VASL boards, and after five attempts I think I have started to develop a style of village/town I like. I have a few other terrian ideas I hope to share. Sensei Tom gave my work a "wow" and is looking to make v5 versions.

All my ASL play is solo or SASL and I am getting very interested in computer ASL. Tried JASL, pretty cool start, hope to see XASL come out soon (fingers crossed).

Started with wargames out of a fascination with the conscript/draftee Army of the United States of the Second World War. This fascination has never left me and I have many books on the ground war. I tend to keep this in mind, much to the detriment of my game play.

garyB

mcv

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
Back in the '80s my dad bought Squad Leader, and we played a couple of games. Never finished the 12 scenarios in that box. We played The Guards Counterattack, The Tractorsworks thingy and the combined scenario of those two (Streets of Stalingrad?) quite a lot (I still know those scenarios by heart), but never got much beyond that.

When I got more into this gaming hobby, I discovered the existence of ASL, and have always wanted to buy it, but as a highschool and university student it never quite fitted my meager budget. Particularly for a game where it's so bloody hard finding opponents (I think I played a couple of those same Stalingrad scenarios with a friend, but that never took off either). Also, my time was mostly consumed by other games.

I still want to buy and play ASL some day, and having gotten a job, the budget isn't much of an issue anymore. The ability to find opponents still is, and time more so than ever before. On the other hand, the release of the Starter Kits makes ASL look more attractive, and I hope it will make introducing it to my gamer friends a lot easier.

But I'm still not sure I'll ever actually use it.

Truppenamt

Recruit
Reaction score
Figured I would stop by and send a heart felt post to the forum.

I'm an ASL player. I enjoy the detail of the game and would like to be a better player. It looks like this forum is full of players! I have much to discover.

Cheers,

Truppenamt

There are only four types of officer. First, there are the lazy, stupid ones. Leave them alone, they do no harm…Second, there are the hard-working, intelligent ones. They make excellent staff officers, ensuring that every detail is properly considered. Third, there are the hard-working, stupid ones. These people are a menace and must be fired at once. They create irrelevant work for everybody. Finally, there are the intelligent, lazy ones. They are suited for the highest office.

- General Erich Von Manstein (1887-1973) on the German Officer Corps

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
But I'm still not sure I'll ever actually use it.
A lot of players are forced to either play ASL on the internet via VASL or play solo. But it is still ASL!