New members introduce yourself here

Barryrk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
newbie with a purple box

Hi all-I bought Squad Leader way back in the old days. Purple box ,2nd edition rules. followed up with COI,GI, COD,etc Anyway my friend and I played a few games here and there and had a lot of fun and good times. Anyway life happened and time for ASL gave way to work and living. We tried to continue playing ASL when the rulebook and BV came out but it never really became a pastime -just a rarity. I continued to acquire all ASL materials as money allowed in future expectation of playing the best game ever. Now I play SASL occaisionly but I'm interested in VASL and wonder if anyone can give a complete computer maroon some tips to start up. BTW this took 20 min to type.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Hi Barryk,
Welcome here!

I believe you will find answers about how to play VASL in the VASL folder - don't hesitate to ask questions.
Many players use Skype (or another vocal device) to communicate while playing online, which reduces the typing quite a lot.
Otherwise, if you need time, you can play PBeM, making logfiles that you send via email (the logfile thing is quite cool, as it records you moves and you opponent can scroll them, seeing them one after the other).

Have you tried the Starter Kits?
They have helped a lot of casual players enter the system smoothly (but it seems that, if you play SASL, you must be quite at ease with the full system).

Anyway, I hope you will find the ressources you need around here.

KhandidGamera

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Been playing actively since 1989, thanks to Tom Ruta of the Bunker, while we were serving in Germany together.

Before that bought SL when it came out.

Hello to all the guys I just see at ASLOK, and to Rog who lives here, and in Erie.

mccann98

Reaction score
First name
Mike
Country
llUnited States
Hello,
I started played ASL back in the late 1980's. I got away from it because I couldn't find anyone to play, doesn't that always seem to happen? I just picked up the starter kits last year, and am now back into it full swing since I found a local club. Thanks to everyone who has patiently answered my questions, and sold me missing items.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Welcome here, Cliff and mccann!
This forum offers many ressources (answers to questions, opponents, etc.), so I hope you will appreciate it.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Warning.......

Welcome here, Cliff and mccann!
This forum offers many ressources (answers to questions, opponents, etc.), so I hope you will appreciate it.
DO NOT... :blab:

I REPEAT..... :mad:

Do not listen to Robin..... :angry:

He is one of THEM...... :eek:

BEWARE :eek:

sarfs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Been playing actively since 1989, thanks to Tom Ruta of the Bunker, while we were serving in Germany together.

Before that bought SL when it came out.

Hello to all the guys I just see at ASLOK, and to Rog who lives here, and in Erie.
welcome Cliff

did Roger ever give you my mail?

jim

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
DO NOT... :blab:

I REPEAT..... :mad:

Do not listen to Robin..... :angry:

He is one of THEM...... :eek:

BEWARE :eek:
Now that I have been denounced, I will launch an instant retaliation commando against you, you IRA sc^mb@g.:rifle:

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Now that I have been denounced, I will launch an instant retaliation commando against you, you IRA sc^mb@g.:rifle:
I watched Patriot's Game last night for the first time in a very long while.... ;):surprise:

So make your move......:eek: :clown:

Tried to rep you...

REP REFORM NOW

Last edited:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
So make your move......:eek: :clown:
I made it. If nothing seems to have changed, you are dead : hell is like the present world, without a change...:skull:

PS : you already reped me as you wrote your first post denouncing me.

dogred

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
hi. just posting an introduction. I,ve played the original squad leader for years, abut never bothered with the advanced squad leader series. I have just recently started collecting the ASL starter kits, and am enjoying them immensely.

Cheers...

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
hi. just posting an introduction. I,ve played the original squad leader for years, abut never bothered with the advanced squad leader series. I have just recently started collecting the ASL starter kits, and am enjoying them immensely.

Cheers...
So, I believe you will stick to the SKs without moving towards full ASL?
There is a subforum devoted to the SK series, here.
Welcome on this forum!:)

kfw1914kuk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
New To The Forum? Introduce Yourself

Hi, all. I'm Dave, and I'm an 'old' newbie. That is, I first started playing "full" ASL back in '91, usually a bunch of old On All Fronts scenarios. You know, basic. Got my a$$ kicked.

The Dice Gods Hate Me.

Well, my fellow FtFer Phil & I got involved in an Official AH Playtest Group near Syracuse, NY. Our objective: Playtest 'Raate Road' and 'Totsugeki!', come up with something sorta vaguely resembling AARs, and contribute to what I believe turned out to be the '93 Annual. You know, basic. Got my a$$ kicked.

The Dice Gods Hate Me.

Then, my fellow FtFer Phil went & moved away in search of a new job. It happens. So, I went and got together with Ed from Syracuse, the ex-chief playtester. Nice guy, runs Cross-Country all over, knows the game since '76 when he 1st teethed on SL. I visited him by Syracuse, he still visits me here near Schenectady, NY (the site of the French & Indian War massacre of 1690, BTW)-- almost a dozen times now. He's dropping by next week. He brings his stuff, sets up good simple scenarios and we play. You know, basic. Got my a$$ kicked.

The Dice Gods Hate Me.

Took a break from "full" ASL about five years back and gave my ASL stuff to my friend, Don. He introduced me to AH's Blackbeard. Great pirate game, it's really fun. You know, basic. First game in, I went through three whole characters in a day-- one damaged his ship leaving port & had to fix it, had scurvy on 1st voyage out, then crew mutinied and set him adrift. The other two got blown out of the water facing off against puny merchants. Needless to say, got my a$$ kicked.

The Dice Gods Hate Me.

Well now, Don & my housemate Ken are wanting to learn ASL, both "full" & SK. We have SK#1-3, as well as combinations of Don's (my old), Ken's, and my new ASL collections. We've been playing off & on for about a 1/2 year now, and we're slowly getting a little more used to it. Based on my experiences with Ed, we sorta 'venture' into the ASLRB for stuff to 'meld' a rule or 2 that comes to mind when we're playing an SK scenario. For purists of either, it might seem heresy, but I'm OK with it. I just put more pillows on my chair, to soften what's headed my way.

Yeah, 'They' Still Hate Me.

Thanks for listening. Does this count as Long-Term Therapy??
Talk to guys soon. I love this forum.

Best Regards,
Dave

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
we're slowly getting a little more used to it. Based on my experiences with Ed, we sorta 'venture' into the ASLRB for stuff to 'meld' a rule or 2 that comes to mind when we're playing an SK scenario. For purists of either, it might seem heresy, but I'm OK with it.
Dave
Sounds like how many of us learned the game--a little at a time.

Welcome to GameSquad, Dave.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Thanks for listening. Does this count as Long-Term Therapy??
Well, when ASL is involved, I would rather speak of : addiction, mariage breaker, pathology, monomaniac habit, immaturity, etc.:p
But the main point is that ASLers are conscious of their illness, which seems to be the first step towards mental sanity (but that does not involve any positive healing probability).:clown:
Welcome here, btw.

Joel4nier

Tanks are hard
Reaction score
Hi everybody,
I'm Joel, I have been lurking for a couple of weeks now and I like what I see. I'm new to the game, started with the kits after I managed to find a pretty nice ASL haul. Old edition AH Rulebook, BV,Yanks, and Red Barracades, all for 100 bucks:halo:
I'm from Minneapolis MN, married, play ASL every friday and things are good! Look forward to reading all the forums.
Thanks.