Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Welcome around here, Chameleon!
And welcome back into the hobby.
I hope you will find ressources and fun as needed.:)

SgtStahler

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Another n00b joins the fray...

Greets all!
Just wanted to leave the obligatory quick intro since I am new to the forum... Glad to find a lively place where discussion of ASL occurs daily. Maybe even find some VASL players out there willing to deal with lots of rules questions... ;)

So I have utterly arrogantly assumed the forum name of the (in)famous Sgt Stahler (I was shocked it wasnt already taken and had assumed I would not get it...) but the real name is Sean, and my mini-history wrt ASL goes something like this:

I owned and played SL/COI/COD/GI way, WAY back in the day. But, I was only 13-14 years old at the time and an only child. So, a) I had lots of trouble finding people to play with, and b) once ASL came out, I was effectively priced out of the hobby. Besides the SL line, I also had and played (read: "spent money on") many other titles. (Feel free to ask about them - I still have most of them...) Unfortunately, since I was unable to keep up with the modules (and the fact the BV was *really* expensive for a 15-year-old, and I had less interest in the eastern front, and took offense at having to spend that kind of cash just so I could continue with the game), I did what (likely) a lot of kids in my position would do - I did not actually "play" very much, I merely tinkered and futzed with the components and read (and re-read, and re-re-read) rules, and played solitaire games. And eventually got involved with other things and stopped messing around with wargames.

So. Fast forward 20-some years. I am older and have more expendable income. And I am going through a resurgence of fondness for various childhood hobbies. It was only a matter of time before I finally bought myself the ASL rulebook. Unfortunately, due to time restrictions, I have been on-again off-again even in my re-uptake of the hobby. I got the ASLRB a few years ago. I got Paratrooper. I got a couple of CH modules (Timmes' Orchard and Shanley's Hill - can you tell the genre of scenarios that interest me...? :laugh:). I have fought the good fight with VASL (thats another story...). I even created a module for VASSAL that did not exist at the time, and in fact even in its half-finished state is better than the one that is currently out there, IMO... (GEV, anyone?) And then I fell out again for a while.

But you know, you can only watch Saving Private Ryan and the Band of Brothers shows so many times... :D And I really do want to actually *play* this damn game! So now I am shopping ebay and will be finally getting copies of BV and Yanks soon. And likely other stuff as well... And I have *finally* actually gone through most of Chapter K... And I knew there were various ASL-related web resources out there, but now have finally come to boardgamegeek and here to be more than just a lurker.

So there you have it. The abridged version of my history with wargames. I hope to be on here at least somewhat frequently and actually post and become a part of the community. But then of course, I just had a baby girl (6 weeks old now), so no promises... ;)

-Sean

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
First, Sean, the important stuff: congrats on becoming a Father. You may just find it's the best thing that can happen to you. . .

There is a scattered but dedicated group of ASLers in the greater Puget Sound area, too, so hook up with your local club if you have a hankering for some face-to-face gaming.

Welcome aboard!

SgtStahler

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Fatherhood...

First, Sean, the important stuff: congrats on becoming a Father. You may just find it's the best thing that can happen to you. . .
Thanks for the encouragement! I think the jury is still out on that... Dont get me wrong, she's great, but I find myself missing my free time and time with buddies. I will be happier when she gets older and I can begin teaching her things... Like the intricacies of defensive first fire... :nuts:

I had seen/heard of the PSASL group, and I know they meet regularly at a game shop here. I had even gone once, but I guess it was on a particular Saturday that they didnt go so I missed them.

I really look forward to some VASL games, since a) I am lacking in gear (but looking to rectify that) and b) it seems a lot easier to deal with when time is short - play a turn or two, then put that game away and pick it up where you left off without having physical cardboard to worry about getting messed up.

I still have lots to learn though. I really should get the ASLSK, although it seems like going backwards at this point. My problem is finding consistent time to be able to spend on it. I dont want to be the type to setup a game (on VASL or otherwise) with someone, just to have to bolt after 30 minutes due to some other time pressure. I am happy for the moment studying rules, building up the components, reading tutorials and AARs and getting familiar with the community, here and elsewhere.

Cheers!

Lagduf

Forgive me - I'm a n00b
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
hello from missouri

Hey Everyone,

New ASLer here. I've only recently taken an interest in boardgames (past 3 years or so) having previously mostly played video games for my gaming entertainment. Last summer I purchased the ASL SK#2 after reading much about ASL and wanting to try it out. I liked what I saw and played, so earlier this year I bought the full ASL Rulebook, but i've yet to get Beyond Valor. I have managed to get in a few ASL games this year with the full rules with a friend who is also new to ASL and owns the rulebook and Beyond Valor.

I suppose i'm a younger ASLer at 23 years old. I'm from Warrensburg, Missouri and i've just graduated from the University of Central Missouri with a degree in Secondary Education in the Social Studies (history teacher whoo!)

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Welcome here Lagduf,
I hope you'll find the ressources you need on this forum.
You are not the youngest.
CanadianDude was 16 when he began posting... He must be about 17 or 18 now.
It is a good news to see new blood joining the hobby.
Now, even if many of the ASL gamers are about 40 y.o., this is not to equal with any mental age - as you will see, we tend to go down to kindergarten levels at times.:D

Canadian Dude

Malicious Maniac
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hey Everyone,

New ASLer here. I've only recently taken an interest in boardgames (past 3 years or so) having previously mostly played video games for my gaming entertainment. Last summer I purchased the ASL SK#2 after reading much about ASL and wanting to try it out. I liked what I saw and played, so earlier this year I bought the full ASL Rulebook, but i've yet to get Beyond Valor. I have managed to get in a few ASL games this year with the full rules with a friend who is also new to ASL and owns the rulebook and Beyond Valor.

I suppose i'm a younger ASLer at 23 years old. I'm from Warrensburg, Missouri and i've just graduated from the University of Central Missouri with a degree in Secondary Education in the Social Studies (history teacher whoo!)
good to see young blood getting into the hobby. May you always roll low (cept against me..... then roll as high as you like :clown: )

As for being the youngest, I get to carry that mantle pal. I'm 17 years old (turned 17 this year). That puts me in the glorious possesion of youngest ASL player on the forums (woot me!). I'm also basking in the glory of a 1 CG and about 5 scenerio winning streak. I haven't lost a game in months and I'm starting to forget how it feels to actually be out played :D

- The Canadian Dude

Last edited:

Lagduf

Forgive me - I'm a n00b
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
good to see young blood getting into the hobby. May you always roll low (cept against me..... then roll as high as you like :clown: )

As for being the youngest, I get to carry that mantle pal. I'm 17 years old (turned 17 this year). That puts me in the glorious possesion of youngest ASL player on the forums (woot me!). I'm also basking in the glory of a 1 CG and about 5 scenerio winning streak. I haven't lost a game in months and I'm starting to forget how it feels to actually be out played :D

- The Canadian Dude
Ha, I said I was a younger ASL player - not the Youngest :laugh:

Perhaps after I get better we can play on VASL.

YOUTH ASL BATTLE!

SgtStahler

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey Everyone,

New ASLer here. I've only recently taken an interest in boardgames ... <snip>
Hey and welcome! As another n00b (to the forum anyway) I can assure you that you cant find a better or more friendly group of people to learn ASL from and argue with! ;)

As for being young and into ASL, all I can say is, way to go! It's good to see someone under 25 who has the attention span to play a game like ASL, even when something like Close Combat is out there. Very cool.

And as an aside, can I just say, CanadianDude... I love you man! There are SO many reasons why, but you (and the posts I have seen you make here) give me hope for the young generation.

...:eek:...
Holy crap, did I just say that? F**K, that means I am OLD! Dammit! :eek: Back pedal, back pedal...

OK, what I meant was, erm... Yeah, dude, hella-cool that you are, like, the youngest dude here... Gonna do up my myspace page and give you some mad props for being all adult-like and stuff... :lier:

Heh...

Alleytom

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Combat in the Desert??

Hi All,

I originally signed up a year or so ago and have kinda lurked here off and on but decided I finally need to introduce myself.

I'm a long time ASL (and other war game) player but I've been out of it for a while. I started with Tobruk in the late 70's and quickly moved to SL when it was released. I spent long hours in Germany (Army brat) playing the old standards; Squad Leader, Third Reich, WS&IM, and even some D&D back in the early 80's. I moved back to Washington and played with a group there in Tacoma (I think they later helped organize the PSASL group) but then dropped out of ASL for a few years, although I still kept collecting modules and add ons when I ran across them.

I'm in Gilbert Arizona now (SE of Phoenix) and am looking to finally punch all those counters I've accumulated over the years and join in some old fashioned FTF combat. What I'd really like to do is to start an ASL group here in the valley. I figure with 4 million people here in Maricopa County, there's got to be at least three or four other ASL players.

Tom

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Welcome, Tom!

I was planning a trip to Mesa two(?) years ago and looked up some ASL folks in the area through the MMP site. Yes, it's an old list but some contact info is still valid. My impression was that there are some active ASLers in your (general) area. [Like Tacoma is near Seattle, right? :) ]

Earthpig

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello from West Central Wisconsin

Hi, I've been playing ASL since it came out, and am still learning rules after 20 some years. I recently retired from the Part time military (Army Infantry). and have a small but dedicated group of ASL friends in the area(minus one waiting for his second sand land tour to end). We argue over rules, accuse each other of cheating and throw our dice into the walls:angry:
(I guess thats just ME:rolleyes: ) and have a wonderful time.
I and one of the afore mentioned friends are playing two concurrent HASL campaigns RB III at his house and KGP I at mine. I am getting my hip pockets handed to me in RB but am holding my own in KGP. My favorite ASL moment came when one of my ftf opponents advanced his german squads out of the Victory condition building in Aachens pall and gave me trhe win on turn 2.:p

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Welcome, Stephen!
I hope you'll find usefull ressources here.
Have a nice day.
Robin

Canadian Dude

Malicious Maniac
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Welcome to the site stephen, hope you have a great time. Infact your little two turn victory story has given me a thread idea....

- The Canadian Dude

whf

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi. I've lurked here for a couple years and own some of the products but have never played. I do plan to play SASL, but for the moment I just enjoy reading the rules.
I played SFB many years ago. I even taught a whole group how to play so that I would have someone to play against. I don't think I've ever played against someone I didn't teach first . I've lost contact with those players over the years and I don't feel like teaching anyone else how to play. I've also played a lot of National Pro Hockey (against the same guys I used to play SFB against and solitaire) and too much solitaire Pursue the Pennant. Right now my only gaming is reading rulebooks, both board and RPG, reading about games on the web and playing some computer and PS2.
I really enjoy reading the posts on these forums.

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Alright, whf, welcome!

You know, signing up and making that first post is but the first step. . .

Earthpig

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Welcome!

Welcome WHF.
I'm a noobie to the forum also, but played alot. I am always finding some rule I missplayed or forgot. and this forum has helped in the short time I've been here already. If you think reading the rules is fun. Try MISREADING them always a crowd pleaser.:smoke:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Hi Wfh,
SASL is difficult to play if you have no experience of the "normal" ASL.
So, I would advise you to buy BV and the RB.
Welcome here!

whf

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thanks for the nice welcome guys.
I've owned SASL for two years and have yet to open the box. The first product I bought was SK#1 and that made me order SASL. I didn't open it at first because the box said you needed the ASL rulebook, BV and Yanks which I didn't have at the time. I thought there was the possibility I would never buy them and might want to resell SASL. I now own those required products, the latest being Yanks which I ordered during the Canadian Dude Sale (I found out about that sale on this forum). Everything is opened except SASL. One day, when I have read and punched and sorted everything else I'll open that up too.

Last edited:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
To feel easier with the system, I would advise you to learn the game with experienced gamers.
Either FtF or VASL will give you that opportunity.
Put a thread in the Opponents wanted subforum: many players are ready to give you a hand.