New members introduce yourself here

Gwinnell

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Howdy Folks, my name is Shane and I just played my first few games of ASL this past weekend at the Texas ASL team tournament in Round Rock, TX. I met some great people there, and had a blast playing a few games! I'm still working through the starter kits, but looking forward to the day I can call myself a real ASL player. If anyone here is in the Permian Basin or West Texas, and you are willing to play against a rookie, let me know.

Welcome Shane.

Count_Zero

Reaction score
First name
Josh
Country
llUnited States
Howdy Folks, my name is Shane and I just played my first few games of ASL this past weekend at the Texas ASL team tournament in Round Rock, TX. I met some great people there, and had a blast playing a few games! I'm still working through the starter kits, but looking forward to the day I can call myself a real ASL player. If anyone here is in the Permian Basin or West Texas, and you are willing to play against a rookie, let me know.
I'm just a couple hours north of you. If you ever find yourself in Lubbock, TX with some spare time, maybe we can set up a game.

vetsurg

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I signed up to the forum a few years ago but never really spent time as I am very much a newbie to ASL. My name is Mike, I live in Mesa, AZ and am working to learn ASL. I'm currently playing with ASL SK#1 and 2 and will be asking a bunch of questions here.
I've been reading as much as possible and watching some really great YouTube videos as well as listening to podcasts. The basics seem to be sinking in for me at least so I'm feeling good about it. I'm just playing scenarios sort of randomly to make sure the mechanics are under control in my mind. I'm also trying to learn military tactics as I'm also fairly new to war gaming.
I've enjoyed reading the threads on the forum so far, looks like a lot of great information here and some really good people contributing. I hope to learn the game as best I can, but am playing solitaire for now. At least it allows me to play both sides every turn which forces me to think about each move twice. I've been playing pretty slowly as I go back to the rules and my notes at every phase.
It's an amazing game, and I look forward to opening all of the doors of this game and finding what else is there. Good thing my wife is understanding about my gaming and what I buy, so I know starting out is gonna be an investment, but I'm pretty excited about venturing forward.
Hope to "meet" you guys here and learn from your vast experiences!

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
I signed up to the forum a few years ago but never really spent time as I am very much a newbie to ASL. My name is Mike, I live in Mesa, AZ and am working to learn ASL. I'm currently playing with ASL SK#1 and 2 and will be asking a bunch of questions here.
I've been reading as much as possible and watching some really great YouTube videos as well as listening to podcasts. The basics seem to be sinking in for me at least so I'm feeling good about it. I'm just playing scenarios sort of randomly to make sure the mechanics are under control in my mind. I'm also trying to learn military tactics as I'm also fairly new to war gaming.
I've enjoyed reading the threads on the forum so far, looks like a lot of great information here and some really good people contributing. I hope to learn the game as best I can, but am playing solitaire for now. At least it allows me to play both sides every turn which forces me to think about each move twice. I've been playing pretty slowly as I go back to the rules and my notes at every phase.
It's an amazing game, and I look forward to opening all of the doors of this game and finding what else is there. Good thing my wife is understanding about my gaming and what I buy, so I know starting out is gonna be an investment, but I'm pretty excited about venturing forward.
Hope to "meet" you guys here and learn from your vast experiences!

Welcome, Mike!!

Don't be afraid to ask questions or ask for opponents.

Cheers,

Mark Sockwell
Joplin, MO

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wecome, Mike from Mesa!

If you haven't done so yet, check out the 'what have you been reading?' Thread...it contains several good suggestions for reading and research materials to feed your interest in tactics and the history which ASL tries to portray.

Best wishes.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I'm completely new to the forum, but not to ASL - I was an avid reader of the ASL Mailing List... well, in the nineties, somewhat before most people became aware of the Internet, I think. But then I stopped being a student and my ASL-playing time dwindled to nothing for several years, and I'm just coming back into the hobby.

Oh, and I live in France, where I teach maths and computer science in a university.

Gwinnell

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I'm completely new to the forum, but not to ASL - I was an avid reader of the ASL Mailing List... well, in the nineties, somewhat before most people became aware of the Internet, I think. But then I stopped being a student and my ASL-playing time dwindled to nothing for several years, and I'm just coming back into the hobby.

Oh, and I live in France, where I teach maths and computer science in a university.
Welcome Philippe.

I have had many great holidays in your part of France so double welcome.

Naz

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey All,

A somewhat common story here. I played many moons ago and some recent life changes have allowed me time to get back into gaming. ASL was one of my favorite games back in the day (@25-30 years ago) and I've started getting back into it. Though I had saved all my "kit", it was unfortunately all washed away in a flooded basement a few years back so I'm starting from scratch.

I've been at it a few months and so far have laid my hands on BV, FKaC, RS, HP, and I've pre-ordered Y2. It might be awhile before I can lay my hands on the minors as the cost on Ebay and such is through the roof for DB and AoO. The last one I saw wanted nearly $300. I still need the French and Italians too.

I've been playing some solo games as I work through re-learning the rules. It's a bit tedious with the constant rule book consultations but I'm getting there and having some fun in the process. Once I feel I understand enough to get through a game in a reasonable amount of time I'll start looking for some VASL games as you can't really learn the game until you start facing live opponents.

I'm more of lurker than a poster but I've gotten a ton of valuable intel from this site so thanks to all of you for freely sharing your knowledge and game advice.

Happy gaming!

Kevin

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Welcome home Kevin!

The big change in ASLWorld, depending on the crowds around where you live, may very well be VASL. I have yet to become really familiar with it, but the possibility to play games online other than by keeping a dust-gathering board for months is a huge thing if you're a little isolated - a pretty good alternative to solo play.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Welcome here, Kevin.
I hope that this forum will be a good resource for you.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Welcome back Kevin,

Indeed a very common story, hope you enjoy ASL now you can devote time to it.

all the best

Perry

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey all, I'm Ray, green ASL player. Would love to find a ftf opponent in BK but vassal works too!
Plenty of guys in NYC and the greater NY area. Also, no need to play FtF to the exclusion of VASL or the other way around. I would reccomend putting an opponents wanted ad up in the opponents wanted section. Definitely some guys in the city you can hook up with.

Seadawg

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Long time forum lurker, here to say hello.

My story will sound similar to other posts, especially from those who are late “baby boomers”.

My first wargame was PanzerBlitz purchased in 1979 and played ftf with high school friends. Picked up Squad Leader in 1980. Only a few ftf playings, but much time spent solo’ing the scenarios…and countless hours spent reading the box, scenario cards, and rules. I read the scenario cards so many times I think I had the OB’s and map configurations memorized. (And sometime before that I had a non-wargame, Outdoor Survival. That title was a misnomer as I only remember not surviving.)

Reluctantly sold the games in 1993 at a garage sale. They hadn’t been on the table in years as I was focused on my career and family.

Fast forward to today--career and family established. Last fall picked up a copy of Squad Leader for nostalgia's sake. I found I still enjoy pushing the counters around and still enjoy reading the scenario cards, etc.

Started learning about Advanced Squad Leader. Wow, seems like the type of hobby I’ve been looking for. It’s an expansive system, which to me is very attractive—one game system to last a lifetime. (As a minor point, it also fixes the defensive fire mechanic from Squad Leader. I always found that clunky…) Most importantly, it has a dedicated and active community supporting it.

Work and family still limit my free time, so will most likely be lurking on the forums, reading scenario cards and rules, and maybe pushing around counters solo for a bit. When retirement rolls around in 12 years or so, I should almost have a basic understanding of the Chapter A rules and hopefully have much time for ftf gaming.

Regards,
Steve

youngdar

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi, Steve-

My story is similar to yours. I recently got bit by the SL bug again and when looking into ASL I was pleasantly surprised at how well the game system has held up over the years. I have picked up the starter kits and look forward to working through them and then jumping up to ASL.

Kindest regards,

Rich

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Welcome aboard Steve, not sure where you're from but regardless there are probably quite a few ASL'ers relatively near you somewhere in Cheesehead country (heck, we travel at least 80 miles once a month to the Twin-Cities ASL meetings). I've never encountered a "local" player yet that was averse to helping a newer player out, even if they were less than knowledgeable with ASLSK (recommend at least the 3rd one to help bring you up to speed-others probably not necessary with your experience with SL). If your relatively close by, drop us a PM or email, would greatly like to hear from you & remain in touch.
Good gaming my friend!:toast:

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi,
I'm greuh, ASL/SK player. Green on ASLSK, Conscript to ASL. Also, if I'm to be a counter, it will be one of Croix de Guerre, as I happen to be French. :)
welcome to Gamesquad, lots of help to be had from all all the way to fanatic elite's :D

Ian

greuh

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
welcome to Gamesquad, lots of help to be had from all all the way to fanatic elite's :D

Ian
Cool !

I've had a few games of SK1 and I'm halfway through reading Le Franc Tireur 6. I'm waiting for my RB+BV3 in the mail... I hope to play a full ASL infantry game real soon ! :)

(Edit : ten years ago, I had all 3 SKs, RB1, BV1 and a few other things, so I partially -only partially- understand what I'm reading, don't worry ;) ).
(Edit : also, speaking of LFT, if someone has French-language questions, I'd be glad to help)

Last edited: