New members introduce yourself here

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'll definitely check the tutorials out. Can't wait until ASLSK 1 arrives. I have been skimming my V1 rules and I'm surprised how much is coming back.

Ouch on those eBay prices for Doomed Battalions and Armies of Oblivion.
Welcome to the forums, much to be learned here. I certainly hope to see you at the TCASL meetings as well (a few of us cheeseheads make the trip monthly-a great bunch of guys, all different skill levels). I'll get in touch with my buddy in Baldwin, WI (about 30 mi from you?), since he's moved our playing opportunities have seriously diminished and he would certainly enjoy brining another guy back into the fold. He's the guy that brought me back into the hobby and is certainly willing to do ASLSK or ASL or what ever you would like. His handle here is earthpig, but he hasn't been following the forums regularly for some time. I'll drop him a line and perhaps you'll be able to get together for some ASL fun. Many of the other guys at the Twin Cities ASL would also be able get together with you as well (I believe there's a couple of guy pretty near). Again, welcome, and hope to see you at TCASL if nothing else.

JPaulus

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Welcome to the forums, much to be learned here. I certainly hope to see you at the TCASL meetings as well (a few of us cheeseheads make the trip monthly-a great bunch of guys, all different skill levels). I'll get in touch with my buddy in Baldwin, WI (about 30 mi from you?), since he's moved our playing opportunities have seriously diminished and he would certainly enjoy brining another guy back into the fold. He's the guy that brought me back into the hobby and is certainly willing to do ASLSK or ASL or what ever you would like. His handle here is earthpig, but he hasn't been following the forums regularly for some time. I'll drop him a line and perhaps you'll be able to get together for some ASL fun. Many of the other guys at the Twin Cities ASL would also be able get together with you as well (I believe there's a couple of guy pretty near). Again, welcome, and hope to see you at TCASL if nothing else.
Yes Baldwin is about 20mins away. I'll try to make TCASL gathering sometime soon and meet everybody.

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Hey guys

I,m Björn and I live in Bielefeld, Westphalia. I played VASL with a guy from Stuttgart for a few years and also a few times with vonMarwitz. But I stopped playing and I startet solo gaming other wargames than ASL. Recently I started buying new ASL stuff and I'm thinking about playing it again. I would love to play ftf games, so if anyone knows someone near Bielefeld or Münster just point him in my direction..

Cheers

Björn

Björn

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Hi von Marwitz

Long time no see. Yes, I know the Grenadier. I don't drive and it's hard to get there by train. But mabe I will attend one day. Before that I have to punch and clip lots of counters. :laugh:

sarfs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Your mounted maps will do just fine for now. The new maps while thinner (and with computerized graphics) are compatible with the older mounted boards. (You can stack a couple of the cardstock boards on top of each in order to mate them with the mounted boards.)

Mounted boards are only available for boards 1-52 (plenty of these floating around on eBay and elsewhere). So boards 53 and up are card stock. IOW, don't through away your old boards and buy a map bundle unless you are flush with cash.

In any case, welcome back!
Mating mounted and SK style maps is easy. Use two of each, one the scenario map and the other is filler. Mounted scenario and filler SK, scenario SK and filler mounted. It should match up perfectly.

__ [__]
[__] __ (bad ASCII graphics)

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Hi von Marwitz

Long time no see. Yes, I know the Grenadier. I don't drive and it's hard to get there by train. But mabe I will attend one day. Before that I have to punch and clip lots of counters. :laugh:
Granted, Grenadier is not exactly held in what you would call a "central" place. But there is a railroad-station nearby and it would be no problem for someone to pick you up / bring you back there. Every year this is done for some people that arrive via plane and continue per train. And you could try to make contact with someone living closer to Münster to give you a ride or shorten you train trip.

So if there's a will there would be a way.

All the best,
von Marwitz

Lobster

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Hi Björn, let's play ftf - at Grenadier :)

Be there once and come back for a lifetime

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Mating mounted and SK style maps is easy. Use two of each, one the scenario map and the other is filler. Mounted scenario and filler SK, scenario SK and filler mounted. It should match up perfectly.

__ [__]
[__] __ (bad ASCII graphics)
Even better idea. :thumup:

Betelgeuse

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Longtime gamer dipping a toe in the ASL waters. The subject and level of detail are appealing, huge rule binders not so much but they seem manageable.

The starter kit is in the mail. Anyone in south Louisiana that feels like teaching me some tips and bad habits hit me up for a game.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Longtime gamer dipping a toe in the ASL waters. The subject and level of detail are appealing, huge rule binders not so much but they seem manageable.

The starter kit is in the mail. Anyone in south Louisiana that feels like teaching me some tips and bad habits hit me up for a game.
As for bad habits, Psycho is your man in southern Louisiana.

By the way, where are you from? I stayed for a year in Loreauville close to New Iberia during my High School years. Good times in Cajun Country!

von Marwitz

Betelgeuse

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As for bad habits, Psycho is your man in southern Louisiana.

By the way, where are you from? I stayed for a year in Loreauville close to New Iberia during my High School years. Good times in Cajun Country!

von Marwitz
Currently in Houma. Transplant from Austin/Houston/San Antonio.

Great folks down here, weather reminds me of growing up in Houston and why I moved to Austin. Learning to like seafood, not sure it was a fair trade for BBQ.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Currently in Houma. Transplant from Austin/Houston/San Antonio.

Great folks down here, weather reminds me of growing up in Houston and why I moved to Austin. Learning to like seafood, not sure it was a fair trade for BBQ.
I think we played football against some high school in Houma once and I went there to visit some relations of my host family. Can't say that I really know the place. I have even been to Houston for a day or two and drove through Austin and San Antonio during my travels through the south-west. The world is small, isn't it?

von Marwitz

Betelgeuse

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think we played football against some high school in Houma once and I went there to visit some relations of my host family. Can't say that I really know the place. I have even been to Houston for a day or two and drove through Austin and San Antonio during my travels through the south-west. The world is small, isn't it?

von Marwitz
I took a bit of German in high school. One day I hope to add Germany to my list of countries visited.

Small world indeed.

Jeffhew

"Aut Vincere Aut Mori"
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Guys,

I just wanted to pop in and say hi. I've been away from the board for, well, a couple of years now. Real life took me away from ASL for a while. It's nice to see that most of the regulars back then are still here today. I hope the threads are still as, um... interesting! :)

I've been slowly adding to my ASL collection though, I haven't really kept up playing. I'm starting to re-learn what I thought I learned before. It's amazing how the ASL part of my brain has atrophied in two years. :argh:
Anyhow, I hope I'll be around a bit longer this time. I'm looking forward to renewing old acquaintances.
See Ya

Jeff
I was about to "re-introduce" myself when I saw that I had already posted here about 6 years ago, under about the same circumstances. So rather than reinvent the IFT chart, I'll just quote my post from the last time since it's still, sadly, up to date. :)

See Ya
Jeff

Last edited:

youngdar

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just wanted to say "Hi." My name is Rich. I now live in Colorado, in the Denver-area, but am originally from western Pennsylvania. I'm sure my story isn't unique- I played a lot of Squad Leader up through GI in high school. I can still remember using birthday money to order SL out of the Sears catalog and being so excited to have my parents take me to pick it up at the store when it came in. I continued to play a bit in college, but that was also when ASL was coming out and with being a poor college student, and then a poor college graduate starting a career, I lost track of all that was going on with the game system. Probably like a lot of guys my age, I've recently came back to it, though, and have been bitten by the bug again. Rather than diving right back into the deep end of the pool, I decided to pick up the starter kits, have just received them, and downloaded VASL, and hope to find a few patient opponents here to help me learn to play online soon.

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Just wanted to say "Hi." My name is Rich. I now live in Colorado, in the Denver-area, but am originally from western Pennsylvania. I'm sure my story isn't unique- I played a lot of Squad Leader up through GI in high school. I can still remember using birthday money to order SL out of the Sears catalog and being so excited to have my parents take me to pick it up at the store when it came in. I continued to play a bit in college, but that was also when ASL was coming out and with being a poor college student, and then a poor college graduate starting a career, I lost track of all that was going on with the game system. Probably like a lot of guys my age, I've recently came back to it, though, and have been bitten by the bug again. Rather than diving right back into the deep end of the pool, I decided to pick up the starter kits, have just received them, and downloaded VASL, and hope to find a few patient opponents here to help me learn to play online soon.

Welcome Back, Rich!!!!!

PM me if you'd like to play.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Andy Clarke, an old buddy of mine from New England is in Denver now. Several guys play out that way. I would suggest the opponents wanted section of this forum to scare them up. They would look there, but not likely here.

youngdar

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Andy Clarke, an old buddy of mine from New England is in Denver now. Several guys play out that way. I would suggest the opponents wanted section of this forum to scare them up. They would look there, but not likely here.
Thanks!

smbrannan

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Howdy Folks, my name is Shane and I just played my first few games of ASL this past weekend at the Texas ASL team tournament in Round Rock, TX. I met some great people there, and had a blast playing a few games! I'm still working through the starter kits, but looking forward to the day I can call myself a real ASL player. If anyone here is in the Permian Basin or West Texas, and you are willing to play against a rookie, let me know.