New members introduce yourself here

Vled

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Howdy everyone...

Just started my ASL journey in the last couple of weeks. My friend and I picked up the RB, BV, and Yanks. Looking forward to getting good enough with the basics to start some online VASL play :)

I must say that I was slightly dissapointed with the counter graphics (I'd seen Lock N Load recently so that kind of made me biased) - but the system...wow, once I get my head around it I can see how immersive it is going to be. Even with us just playing really basic infantry battles at the moment we are more immersed in this game than any before it!

I look forward to becoming a part of the wonderful community that you guys seem to have going here...

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Vled said:
I look forward to becoming a part of the wonderful community that you guys seem to have going here...
Welcome here, Vled!
Don't wait too long to try VASL (it is a good way to learn, when a grognard lends a hand)... The server seems to have been down for a number of hours, but it usually recovers rather quick.

About the counter art, it is a reminiscence of the 80s style : to keep uniformity, it was necessary to stick to it in all the modules.
But you'll quickly see that the pleasure of play overwhelms the aesthetic problem - I would even say that not too colourfull counters do help not having a game that looks like a pepperoni pizza.:cool:

Byzantine

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llGreece
Hi all
I first played the game in 1996 although i hadn't managed to read the entire ASLRB. Since then i have never seen or played a better wargame. I had to abstain from playing though for some years due to my studies abroad, military service etc. although during those years i never missed a chance for a game. During the past 3 years i have returned to ASL's embrace an to my initial Fanatic status concerning the game.

Greetings to all

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
88mmkwk said:
.....Actually a return to the ASL world after a long time away. Been lurking here for quite a while, actually.

But the good news is I had the luck to buy a full ASL set a number of years ago on e-Bay (w/storage units). This was before the interest we're seeing now started to kick up, so I got a great deal. So I have most of the gear, and now just have to re-learn the system.

I'm a social type ASL'er that plays for fun. I'm trying to get up to speed by lurking in VASL. But I hope to have a FTF game soon with someone with patience. No FTF gamers I know of, but I live about 10 minutes from the sadly departed Cloyde Angell (spelling is wrong, I'm sure). Anyway, if there's anyone in the Newbury Park/Thousand Oaks area in California who likes FTF ASL, let me know. I'm sure it would help me to get back up to speed quicker if I had some help....

Dave
Dave;

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. I sent you a Private Message about the SoCal ASL Club. We are one of the largest and most active clubs in the country, and we have club members near to you...check out www.socalasl.com and click on "membership" to see a listing of where we all are.

We have a one-day event scheduled in Monrovia on Saturday 08-26-06...come by if you can and meet some of the guys (I won't be able to make it...I'll be on vacation in Oregon). It will be a day filled with ASL fun and free drinks and food.

Semper Fi!
Scott

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Hey guys, just stopping in for some ASL chatter and because I'm hoping to get some scenarios playtested. I remember some of your names from the ASLML, Consim, ASLOK, whatever, although I probably lurked more than posted so don't be surprised if you don't remember me.

Been playing ASL for a couple decades now. Also into GCACW and some other wargames and computer games. I have no life to speak of, but gaming and hanging with my friends is a decent enough substitute.

So.... hello! :smoke:

Canadian Dude

Malicious Maniac
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Well welcome to the forums Mark.

Jesus bugger (friend in the back yells "Jesus never buggered"), why are there so many Marks that play ASL. Especially Mark's with no life :laugh:

Oh you'll find out what I'm talking when you start getting to know everyone (including "The Mark").

- The Canadian Dude

Diode

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello

Woot!! I finally found out you can still buy ASL. I just ordered BV and ASLRB. Hopefully this weekend I will have the games in hand.

I have never played ASL but have played SL in my younger years. When ASL first hit the streets, I was still on a limited budget and never purchased it.

I see newer versions are out now and those are what I ordered.

I'm West Alabama and have been wargaming for some yrs now.

can't wait to get the game and start interacting with you guys.

Canadian Dude

Malicious Maniac
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
You wont regret it mate. ASL pwns everything in existense (especially Warhammer 40k).

Welcome to the forums. Beware of Flame Wars and Psycos :laugh:

- The Canadian Dude

Diode

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the welcome....I have one question. In addition to the rb and BV I also ordered Yanks. In addition I had to get bords 7 and 12 to be able to play Yanks.

Where can I find a comprohensive list of what is required for each module?

i e AOO was a tempting choice of a mod, but the game box said that several mods were needed to play this title..what mods would those be?

Also if a Vet player would clue me in on what order to buy the mods it would much appreciated.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
About your last question, I'd go for For King and Country next.
You'll have the full British (and Commonwealth) OB and plenty of good scenarios.

ranman38

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi I am me. An old Squad leader player now ASL of course. Started with Tactics II way back in 1970 something, I was pretty young then. Currently a proud member of FRASL. (Front Range ASL) Denver, Co.

Real name Randy Wren
age 43

occupation I.T. Supervisor (fancy name for company computer guy) And yes, we really do act like the SNL character. sometimes. :)

kdalton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ranman38 said:
Hi I am me. An old Squad leader player now ASL of course. Started with Tactics II way back in 1970 something, I was pretty young then. Currently a proud member of FRASL. (Front Range ASL) Denver, Co.

Real name Randy Wren
age 43

occupation I.T. Supervisor (fancy name for company computer guy) And yes, we really do act like the SNL character. sometimes. :)
Hi Randy, saw you on VASL last night.
Welcome.

ranman38

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
kdalton said:
Hi Randy, saw you on VASL last night.
Welcome.

Thanks.
Yeah, I have looked at and played around with vasl for a long time, but never sat down and played a game with anyone. Michael K is currently kicking the americans butt in "Green Hell" Hopefully I will play more. It takes a little getting used to. But it is fun.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ranman38 said:
Thanks.
Yeah, I have looked at and played around with vasl for a long time, but never sat down and played a game with anyone. Michael K is currently kicking the americans butt in "Green Hell" Hopefully I will play more. It takes a little getting used to. But it is fun.
Michael, Michael, Michael,
Are you sharking this poor boy? I would assume you play tested Green Hell for Pete didn't you! :rolleyes:

Steve "always looking for ways to tweak Michael's nose" Dennis

Diode

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Robin,

You suggeted FKAC as the next mod to purchase. I now have BV YANKS and FKAC. Is buying Paratrooper and Partisans still a viable purchase since the release of the SK's and AOO for the minors?

And at what point in collecting ASL is buying AOO worthwhile?

Should I get the French and Itailan modules before AOO?

Is there a list showing the order of games in the series?

I eventually want to build a good collection of this game as I am loving it!!!

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Diode said:
Is buying Paratrooper and Partisans still a viable purchase since the release of the SK's and AOO for the minors?
The only reason to buy these modules would be for the mapboards (#24 in Paratrooper and #10 in Partisan!). Otherwise, you are right, the SK introduce you to ASL well (and note that chapter K comes now with the Rulebook, 2nd edition, so Paratrooper would provide a duplicata).
Diode said:
And at what point in collecting ASL is buying AOO worthwhile?
It opens you to Axis Minors and there are some overlays in it. Perhaps not the most urgent thing to buy, nevertheless.
Diode said:
Should I get the French and Itailan modules before AOO?
Croix de Guerre (the French) would be my next choice : two cool boards and some overlays, and there are quite a number of scenarios out there with them.
The Italians are less frequent and many of their combats occured in the desert... the desert rules are OOP for the moment.
But, if you want to have the whole ASL collections, go for Hollow Legions too...
Diode said:
I don't know.
Diode said:
I eventually want to build a good collection of this game as I am loving it!!!
Well, I think a good collection is a full one... If you do like ASL, you will finish by buying most of it.
At least, buy the "core" modules with the different nationalities OBs.
Other types of modules, as the Historical ones, are less "necessary", as you won't need them to play many of the scenarios published in the Annuals, Journals or by TPPs...

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Diode said:
This is from the FAQ over at: http://www.grognard.com/faqs/FAQ0.htm It's a little out of date, but it should give you an idea.
Code:
                                             ASLRB
                                               /   \
                                              BV   Para
                                             / \
                                 ------------   \
                                 Part,  Yanks   SoF
                                        /    \  |
       ---------------------------------      \ |
       LH,  WoA,  RB, SASL,        KGPI        HH
        |    |                       |
        |  ----------------------    |
        |  HL, CoB, CdG, PB, ABTF  KGPII
        | /     |
        DB      GH
                |
               BRT
Hope this helps,

Dave

--
Visit The ASL Scenario Archive

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
daveramsey said:
This is from the FAQ over at: http://www.grognard.com/faqs/FAQ0.htm It's a little out of date, but it should give you an idea.
Code:
                                             ASLRB
                                               /   \
                                              BV   Para
                                             / \
                                 ------------   \
                                 Part,  Yanks   SoF
                                        /    \  |
       ---------------------------------      \ |
       LH,  WoA,  RB, SASL,        KGPI        HH
        |    |                       |
        |  ----------------------    |