New members introduce yourself here

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hey all,

I thought I'd introduce myself in the dwindling hours of 2013. Been lurking these forums for about a year, but now that in the intervening time I've amassed an insane amount of ASL product and have graduated from ASLSK to full ASL, I figured I'd start participating a bit more actively over here (I'm mostly over at BGG, not so much at CSW).

I just got into ASL about 2 years ago, but was previously heavily into SL/COI/COD/GI back in the day (early 80s). Getting into ASL was like coming home again.

Looks like a nice bunch around here, and I look forward to getting to know you all better in 2014! :)

Happy New Year!

Peter
Great to see another new name, hope you continue to grow into ASL

Ian

fourseamer

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello, everybody. In the mid 80s, I was primarily into all night sessions of D&D, but I did some wargaming with a few titles: Squad Leader, Rise and Decline of the Third Reich, Team Yankee, and a couple others. SL was my favorite of the bunch. Something about those scenario sheets, counters, and rule book made a lasting impression.

I spent all of the 90s through the present on a video gaming kick, but I recently came to the conclusion that I spend too much time sitting in front of a computer as a web programmer and database administrator. So, I've been looking for more analog pursuits, and I've come back to board games in the last year or so. After some dabbling in a few Euro and Ameritrash games, I've rediscovered my inner wargamer. They're expressive of processes and goals both historical and personal. I learn something about myself while replaying the past. I like that.

When I left board gaming, ASL was just a glimmer on the horizon. It's fascinating to see how its grown, and after recently buying a RB and a few modules, I can certainly see why.

I'm acclimating myself to the rules and studying counters and map boards now. Will play a few solo games to get my feet wet (wish the SKs were still in print), and then I'll look for some VASL and FtF games as time allows.

Happy New Year!

Gregg

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello, everybody. In the mid 80s, I was primarily into all night sessions of D&D, but I did some wargaming with a few titles: Squad Leader, Rise and Decline of the Third Reich, Team Yankee, and a couple others. SL was my favorite of the bunch. Something about those scenario sheets, counters, and rule book made a lasting impression.

I spent all of the 90s through the present on a video gaming kick, but I recently came to the conclusion that I spend too much time sitting in front of a computer as a web programmer and database administrator. So, I've been looking for more analog pursuits, and I've come back to board games in the last year or so. After some dabbling in a few Euro and Ameritrash games, I've rediscovered my inner wargamer. They're expressive of processes and goals both historical and personal. I learn something about myself while replaying the past. I like that.

When I left board gaming, ASL was just a glimmer on the horizon. It's fascinating to see how its grown, and after recently buying a RB and a few modules, I can certainly see why.

I'm acclimating myself to the rules and studying counters and map boards now. Will play a few solo games to get my feet wet (wish the SKs were still in print), and then I'll look for some VASL and FtF games as time allows.

Happy New Year!

Gregg
Gregg,

There are quite a few ASL players that are from Ohio.

If you live near Columbus, Mark Pitcavage (Pitman here) is a good player to link in with.

Welcome aboard.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Gregg, Happy New Year!! Definitely try to jump into a game as soon as possible. Everything then comes alive!!

Welcome aboard.

Rgds, Jack

QUOTE=fourseamer;1650357]Hello, everybody. In the mid 80s, I was primarily into all night sessions of D&D, but I did some wargaming with a few titles: Squad Leader, Rise and Decline of the Third Reich, Team Yankee, and a couple others. SL was my favorite of the bunch. Something about those scenario sheets, counters, and rule book made a lasting impression.

Happy New Year!

Gregg[/QUOTE]

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Gregg,

Your in luck man. Every year they have this big @$$ed tournament in Ohio, near or in Cleveland, 168 attended last year, it was my first trek their and I was kicking myself for not attending when they started the damn thing. Its in Oct. you have to go you'll learn so much and meet so many cool people you'll sh1t your pants man.

I know that Mark Pitcavage is all alone in his mansion in Columbus and is a fantastic teacher.

The best way to learn ASL is to play it and your in luck cause your in Ohio.

Honestly I have been thinking of moving to Ohio just cause of ASLOK.

I just need a job there, they got women too, so that is a plus...

Anyway welcome aboard and a word of caution, watch out for Trolls and Sock Puppets, they're a real pain in the @$$ you won't be able to miss them. Usually these types are fustrated middled aged men that never played ASL (nor get laid) and they like to stir up trouble by trying to use they're low self esteem, low IQ, and compare sh1t to miniatures or Combat Mission, or Combat Commander or Candy Land.

I can't recommend Mark enough, he is a good guy in person and played my 17 year old kid (there were quite a few fellows that took Nate under their wing and played/teached him some ASL stuff).

Also in Ohio is a wonderful man and teach named Bill Heyword, see if you can't track him down.

Cheers.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Happy New Year!

Gregg
Welcome Greg

this is a good place to learn lots of ASL fun

Ian

fourseamer

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks, everybody. Hey, right time and place to be an ASL player. I'll reach out to Mark after I've played some solo games. Thanks for the heads up, Kevin.

Tankbuster

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Hi there

I'm new here.

I am ASL gamer from Denmark.

Looking forward to exploring the forum. Especially ASL.

SP 218 "Városliget Park"

Is there someone who has a good sets up the romanians sets up ?

Looking forward to a response.

Regards
Tank Buster

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi there

I'm new here.

SP 218 "Városliget Park"

Regards
Tank Buster
Welcome aboard, good place to get answers but I would try the main forum for that one LOL

Ian

SFiedler

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Tankbuster!

There is Scandinavia's largest asl gathering on the horizon as ASO starts 21 of februari.In Copenhagen.

Check out http://www.asl-so.dk

3 days with friendly players and most speaking Danish too! Friendly games and lessons.

Last edited:

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Stephan,

Promise you will train him to enjoy the game, so that when his losses begin to "pile up".....

He continues to ask more players for matches......

Thanks for the info.

Tankbuster

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Hi All

I'm new here.

I startet playing ASL when it was launched in Denmark.

So I made ​​a long break and started in the fall of 2013.

Was in Sweden to Supporting Fire in back October 17-19, and got 9 points scraped together.

?

SP 218 "Városliget Park"

Regards
Tankbuster

maullin

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llAustralia
Hi all,
I am new to ASL. Working my way through the rulebook. Played squad leader back in the late 70's -80's with my dad. Looking for opponents at a beginner level or willing to help me learn. I'm quick to learn. I live in Switzerland (GMT+1) but I am a native English speaker. I'm hoping to play vassal + Skype/teamspeak(handle on Skype is Lefty) on weeknights or weekends.
Cheers, Paul M

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi all,
I am new to ASL. Working my way through the rulebook. Played squad leader back in the late 70's -80's with my dad. Looking for opponents at a beginner level or willing to help me learn. I'm quick to learn. I live in Switzerland (GMT+1) but I am a native English speaker. I'm hoping to play vassal + Skype/teamspeak(handle on Skype is Lefty) on weeknights or weekends.
Cheers, Paul M
Good to see you reach out. Plenty of good folk here to help you and I don't know where abouts you live but we have SwiftandSure here on gamesquad who hails from Switzerland so hopefully you can connect as he is a great guy.

Best post in opponents wanted and in the general discussion area, you are bound to be picked up

Ian

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi all,
Cheers, Paul M
Hey Paul,

Welcome aboard.

There are many European players you might be able to get in touch with.

Also, Robin (Swiftsure) is here as well; he is from Switzerland and might be able to see you Face-to-Face.....

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Hi all,
Cheers, Paul M
Hi Paul,
In what part of Switzerland do you live ?
I am between Geneva and Lausanne, in the Canton de Vaud (French speaking) - but I do speak English too.
Daniel Takai organises monthly meetings in Bern, too.

So, if you are looking for some VASL and/or FtF games, there are good opportunities.
If you need to get into the game, I do like to give a hand to newcomers.
I usually am free on Friday evenings and during week-ends.

maullin

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llAustralia
Hi,
thanks for the message. Daniel got in touch with me and we are setting up a Vassal game in early March. I live in Zurich by the way. Thanks for the offer of help, are you free for an introduction session this Saturday or Sunday?
Cheers,
Paul M

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Hi,
thanks for the message. Daniel got in touch with me and we are setting up a Vassal game in early March. I live in Zurich by the way. Thanks for the offer of help, are you free for an introduction session this Saturday or Sunday?
Cheers,
Paul M
Short delay for me.
But I usually am free on Friday evenings, Saturdays and Sunday afternoons.