Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Advanced Squad Leader Starter Kit #1. Read twelve pages twice and would like to know if there are supplements to make my first game smoother. Thankee thankee.
Yes. Check the Starter Kit forums elsewhere on GameSquad, and search YouTube. There are a lot of instructional videos on YouTube.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Advanced Squad Leader Starter Kit #1. Read twelve pages twice and would like to know if there are supplements to make my first game smoother. Thankee thankee.
There are several ASLSK videos out there to assist with the learning the complexities of the game but I still think one of the best ways to get a feel of it is to take a few counters for each side, put them on a board and try out a few tactics without worrying about a win or loss, just learn how they interact. At first try a a couple of platoons each of infantry only (about 6-8 Multi-man-counters [only] each side) and give it a go to see how they fire/move & the interaction of terrain & morale on the results (this also helps get a grounding on the feel of the Infantry Fire Table (IFT) effects. Next add a couple of leaders (Ldr) each (adjust the Leadership modifiers for greater experience) to the mix and then perhaps to a support weapon (SW) or two to each side to see how they impact. Make sure to consult the rule book whenever something doesn't feel right or you think you're totally lost-don't try to digest it all in one big hunk. After that try the 1st scenario (preferably with a real opponent-but not necessary) and don't worry about a win/loss.

When trying to analyze a scenario/mission the U.S. army always taught me to conduct a Mission Analysis using the acronym METT-T (well actually METT-TC but I drop the 'C' as that stands for Civilians on the battlefield-an item we rarely entertain in ASL). METT-T simply stands for:
  • M=Mission (the foremost concern of the commader/player-in other words the victory conditions one must achieve);
  • E=Enemy (his forces, capabilities and probable courses of action);
  • T=Troops (your units, their strengths/weaknesses, and potential best uses of their assets to further your objectives);
  • T=Terrain (having the map in hand, look at how it will affect your attack/defense, offer observation or obstacles to help/hinder your efforts or offer routs of advance/withdrawal/force protection as well as how it will impact your opponents plans);
  • T=Time (Using a little backward planning process, how long do you have to accomplish your mission and where do you expect to be at the end game taking into consideration potential losses and always maintaining a mission accomplishment mentality).
As a last item (or perhaps the 1st) I would always encourage one to read the background information given the situation as it not only has a direct relationship to the mission at hand but may offer some hints towards mission accomplishment.
As always, HAVE FUN & ROLL LOW!!!

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
There are several ASLSK videos out there to assist with the learning the complexities of the game but I still think one of the best ways to get a feel of it is to take a few counters for each side, put them on a board and try out a few tactics without worrying about a win or loss, just learn how they interact. At first try a a couple of platoons each of infantry only (about 6-8 Multi-man-counters [only] each side) and give it a go to see how they fire/move & the interaction of terrain & morale on the results (this also helps get a grounding on the feel of the Infantry Fire Table (IFT) effects. Next add a couple of leaders (Ldr) each (adjust the Leadership modifiers for greater experience) to the mix and then perhaps to a support weapon (SW) or two to each side to see how they impact. Make sure to consult the rule book whenever something doesn't feel right or you think you're totally lost-don't try to digest it all in one big hunk. After that try the 1st scenario (preferably with a real opponent-but not necessary) and don't worry about a win/loss.

When trying to analyze a scenario/mission the U.S. army always taught me to conduct a Mission Analysis using the acronym METT-T (well actually METT-TC but I drop the 'C' as that stands for Civilians on the battlefield-an item we rarely entertain in ASL). METT-T simply stands for:
M=Mission (the foremost concern of the commader/player-in other words the victory conditions one must achieve); E=Enemy (his forces, capabilities and probable courses of action);
T=Troops (your units, their strengths/weaknesses, and potential best uses of their assets to further you objectives); T=Terrain (having a map in had look at how it will effect your attack/defense, offer observation or obstacles to hinder your efforts or offer routs of advance/withdrawal/force protection);
T=Time (Using a little backward planning process, how long do you have to accomplish your mission and where do you expect to be at the end game taking into consideration potential losses and always maintaining a mission accomplishment mentality).

As a last item (or perhaps the 1st) I would always encourage one to read the background information given the situation as not only does that have a direct relationship to the mission at hand but may offer some hints towards mission accomplishment.
As always, HAVE FUN & ROLL LOW!!!
This is excellent advice!!

Read a little. Play some. Read it again. Play it again. Have fun!

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
This is excellent advice!!

Read a little. Play some. Read it again. Play it again. Have fun!
I've always been an advocate of playing the same scenario multiple times in a row. I think it's a great way to learn without introducing too many variables. Some players like immediately moving on to a new scenario after playing one only once.

Regardless, just play, play, play!!

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've always been an advocate of playing the same scenario multiple times in a row. I think it's a great way to learn without introducing too many variables. ...
Especially true when learning the game. In the military it's why we used rehearsals and Battle Drills: to instill that muscle memory (in ASL the brain muscle mostly). Add in complexity/variability as desired.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Especially true when learning the game. In the military it's why we used rehearsals and Battle Drills: to instill that muscle memory (in ASL the brain muscle mostly). Add in complexity/variability as desired.
Yes, I wonder if the repetitive casualty and damage control drills in the Navy gave me that outlook. I've also considered that the limited number of scenarios in the early SL days which compelled you to replay scenarios also was a major influence. Still a great way to learn.

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi @BillyN831 ! I think there are some resources in ASL Specialty Forums->ASL Starter Kits->ASLSK Resources.

As others wrote, first try just playing around with a few squads to see how firing and moving work, then try a turn or two of S1 Retaking Vierville to get familiar with the sequence of play.

Perhaps the easiest way to learn is to get a live game against someone willing to play a few turns with you and teach (yes, I'm volunteering when you feel ready). With VASL and voice chat, it's almost as good as playing live. There is also a ASL Specialty Forums->Opponents Wanted topic where you can post a request.

You'll want to install VASSAL and the ASL module (which is hosted on another site), both are free. That'll let you play online with others.

Jwil2020

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
FWIW, I came to SK with an established background in the original SL-GIA system. Nevertheless, I found that playing through Jay Richardson's excellent tutorial of his sample 1 turn scenario really helped me wrap my brain around the whole movement and associated fire phases. As noted above, Retaking Vierville is intentionally designed as an introductory step: half board, only 5 turns, and no SWs to deal with. It plays fast, yet with exciting twists and turns.

MMP did a great job with the programmed instruction approach of the SK series. I think you will find it a compelling game.

jwaldron

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not a newby, just coming back to the game and the forum after a brief hiatus after the death of my wife several years ago. I'm glad to see that a lot of the usual suspects are still here. :)

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not a newby, just coming back to the game and the forum after a brief hiatus after the death of my wife several years ago. I'm glad to see that a lot of the usual suspects are still here. :)
I am sorry to hear that.

My wife was recently diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and I have stopped playing while we work through her cancer treatments. This (GS) is the only ASL that I do.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
There really aren't words to adequately address what you guys are going through. Our prayers go out to both of your families.

jwaldron

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
TopT

1. F*** Cancer.
  2. My wife survived 3 bouts with Hodgkins Lymphoma (one after a bone marrow transplant). Nothing is impossible, and every day begins anew, and brings the chance of renewal for all of us. And that's about as sentimental and philosophical as this old squid gets.... keep the faith, brother. :)

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
WB jwaldron. My lady is pretty much my whole life. I can't even image what you guys are going through.

Black Falcon

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello, everyone!

I am looking for some help. I recently became interested in Advanced Squad Leader after re-watching Band of Brothers mini-series. I must admit that I am overwhelmed by the amount of material available and the prices involved. What I would like to know is where should I begin? Should I shell out for MMP's 2nd Edition Rule book if I can find it? Are the Avalon Hill rulesets still useful? Can I get by with just the MMP ASL Starter Kit #1 for a taste of what is to follow?

Also, I figure that I will need to play some solitaire games to get to know the rules before looking for an opponent. Any insight as to what some of the better missions that are good for solo play would be appreciated.

As you can see I feel lost in forest because there are so many interesting trees around me.

Thank you very much for your time.
Kenneth Crist

Jwil2020

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I assume you don't know of any competent ASL players near you who could introduce you to the game at no cost to you. If not, then IMO the easiest (in terms of rules overhead) and cheapest way to see if ASL is for you is to buy Starter Kit 1. For $28 you will get a great intro (in a condensed rule format) into the basic infantry/leader/support weapons rules of ASL. Plus, the six scenarios are a blast. And if it turns out it's not for you- you haven't lost much for the effort.

I know others will suggest you jump straight to ASL, and that is certainly an option. Keep in mind that the only rule book you can buy right now would have to be a used one- not always easy to find a new 2nd Edition out there- but they do exist. Unfortunately, MMP is OOS at the moment. (I would not suggest the Pocket RB which is not really meant to replace the full RB). Then you would need to purchase at least the Beyond Valor core module (currently listed new for $132). But maybe you can get that cheaper used as well. BV would give you the OOB for the Germans and Russians. SK1 however will give you scenarios and a small OOB for Germans, Americans, and Russians.

Hope that helps,
Jack

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Hello, everyone!

I am looking for some help. I recently became interested in Advanced Squad Leader after re-watching Band of Brothers mini-series. I must admit that I am overwhelmed by the amount of material available and the prices involved. What I would like to know is where should I begin? Should I shell out for MMP's 2nd Edition Rule book if I can find it? Are the Avalon Hill rulesets still useful? Can I get by with just the MMP ASL Starter Kit #1 for a taste of what is to follow?

Also, I figure that I will need to play some solitaire games to get to know the rules before looking for an opponent. Any insight as to what some of the better missions that are good for solo play would be appreciated.

As you can see I feel lost in forest because there are so many interesting trees around me.

Thank you very much for your time.
Kenneth Crist
If you want to get a basic idea of what ASL is about, then trying out the ASL Starter Kit #1 is a way which does not cost much. It will introduce some basic concepts of the rules but will give you an idea of what to expect.

Should you have drawn blood and want more after Starter Kit #1, then you can think of going for the real thing.
In any case, I would not go beyond Starter Kit #3 if you are interested in ASL.

For ASL, I'd go for the electronic rulebook. You can try out virtual ASL (VASL) which costs nothing and can get you in touch with opponents around the world (especially in connection with this forum). The cost at this point is still comparably low, as VASL is free.

If you really like ASL or want real materials in your hands, then go for the Pocket Rulebook Bundle (unless you have bad eyesight, since the fonts are small) and get the first Core Module "Beyond Valor". The cost for this is considerable but on the other hand, in the long run, physical ASL game components are cheaper than many other hobbies.

von Marwitz

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
If you go for full ASL, I think that the pocket rulebook now incorporates all the errata, rather than listing them.
If you purchase the pocket charts, you won't need the bulky rulebook binder.
And the pocket chapter H would complete the set.
Of course, the electronical rulebook has all three components and is regularily updated - no additional cost.
I am no prophet, but I think that the three ring binder won't be the format of the future.