New members introduce yourself here!

atago44

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If really in need of some excited debate one can always bring up the IFT vs IIFT or Precision Dice debates (never changes any minds but interesting stats). o_O🤕:unsure:;)
Yeah.

I used to play with a guy who always used the IIFT.

Basically, if you like Pin Task Checks, it is the chart for you.

I personly don't care, although I will admit when I first started playing ASL (German), it really killed me to see those extra 1 points of firepower of the machine guns go to waste. But I later figured out that if you give the light machine gun to a 5-4-8, you've got the perfect combination.

Stumpy82

Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hello all. I'm quite a committed board gamer, but recently decided to give wargaming a try. Everything pointed me in the direction of ASL for the most complete experience, but like a lot of newcomers I found it all a bit overwhelming! I've picked up SK1 and after spending most of the last week with the rules, tutorials and YouTube I reckon I'm good to go for my first game over VASL - which is yet another thing I've had to learn!

I'm based in London, England and we can't meet up face-to-face just yet, but I'm keen to do so as soon as we can again.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Hello all. I'm quite a committed board gamer, but recently decided to give wargaming a try. Everything pointed me in the direction of ASL for the most complete experience, but like a lot of newcomers I found it all a bit overwhelming! I've picked up SK1 and after spending most of the last week with the rules, tutorials and YouTube I reckon I'm good to go for my first game over VASL - which is yet another thing I've had to learn!

I'm based in London, England and we can't meet up face-to-face just yet, but I'm keen to do so as soon as we can again.
Good luck and good gunnin' to you!

Stumpy82

Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited Kingdom
@DC is a player from that area. I know there is also a group of ASL'ers around London. -- jim
Cool. I imagined if they were anywhere there would be a pretty good community around here. The UK still has quite a lot of wargame clubs and I'm sure many of them will play ASL. For the time being I'm happy with VASL and Discord too :)

DC

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Hi there - We have the London ASL club that, once lockdown lifts, will be back up and running FtF. There is also the Double One weekender at the end of June that takes place just outside Chelmsford, easily accessible from London

Derek

Stumpy82

Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi there - We have the London ASL club that, once lockdown lifts, will be back up and running FtF. There is also the Double One weekender at the end of June that takes place just outside Chelmsford, easily accessible from London

Derek
Derek - that will be great. I’m sure I’ll come along. I just had my first live game over VASL tonight and I’m hooked. Also, I‘m looking at houses in Leigh on Sea so Chelmsford is only up the road :)

DC

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Derek - that will be great. I’m sure I’ll come along. I just had my first live game over VASL tonight and I’m hooked. Also, I‘m looking at houses in Leigh on Sea so Chelmsford is only up the road :)
Excellent news - if you ping me a PM with your contact info, we'll add you to the mail out group for Double One and LASL

atago44

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Best of luck.

I am a wargamer of old, and anymore ASL is pretty much the only thing I play.

It is that good.

WooSDoM

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello everyone my name is Elias. I have never played any real war games before except for a little bit of Risk if that even counts. I became very interested in ASL after reading about it and watching lots of videos of rules and gameplay. I set up VASL and have been reading as much as I can about the rules and information available online. I like messing with VASL but I felt I needed the real thing to really get my head around how everything works. I ended purchasing the ASL Starter Kit #1 and it should be here in a few days.

Kijug

Reaction score
First name
Matt
Country
llUnited States
Hello everyone my name is Elias. I have never played any real war games before except for a little bit of Risk if that even counts. I became very interested in ASL after reading about it and watching lots of videos of rules and gameplay. I set up VASL and have been reading as much as I can about the rules and information available online. I like messing with VASL but I felt I needed the real thing to really get my head around how everything works. I ended purchasing the ASL Starter Kit #1 and it should be here in a few days.
Welcome to the "club". I, too, only play ASL these days. What time I get...I play ASL!

Ed Donoghue

Reaction score
First name
Ed
Country
llUnited States
Welcome, you made a great choice to grow into ASL. Don't be afraid to ask questions, I cannot imagine any place where there in more ASL knowledge and experience. Have fun.

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Agree. Never be afraid to ask a question. It's better to admit ignorance of a rule, than to show it.

Kijug

Reaction score
First name
Matt
Country
llUnited States
Hey everyone! I've been an avid board gamer for 20+ years and have finally decided to take the plunge on ASL. Just bought the rulebook and Beyond Valor. Really pumped to learn how to play!
Did you make a typo? Did you mean to say, “...and have financially decided to take the plunge on ASL.” ....just wondering...LOL!

Welcome aboard!

talonite

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Did you make a typo? Did you mean to say, “...and have financially decided to take the plunge on ASL.” ....just wondering...LOL!

Welcome aboard!
Haha, ASL is quite cheap compared to some of the miniature games I've played. I know people that have spent way more on a single army than the cost of all the ASL core modules combined. Those guys are nuts! Thanks for the warm welcome!

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Haha, ASL is quite cheap compared to some of the miniature games I've played. I know people that have spent way more on a single army than the cost of all the ASL core modules combined. Those guys are nuts! Thanks for the warm welcome!
Lol well there's cheap and then there's cheap. I have to say this is the first time I have heard ASL described as quite cheap!

Welcome aboard and good gunnin to you. The forum is a great place to get questions answered and meet people.

A quick question if I may.

Did you consider the ASL Starter Kit or did diving into full blown ASL appeal to you more?
Thanks and good luck!

talonite

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A quick question if I may.

Did you consider the ASL Starter Kit or did diving into full blown ASL appeal to you more?
Thanks and good luck!
I was thinking about it, but I found there are plenty of ASL resources available for learning the full game already. I've found the YouTube tutorials created by Neil Ulen, Russ Gifford, and ijester especially helpful.