Country
llUnited States
Welcome aboard. You found a great place to land

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Hi everyone. I am just getting into ASL and found this spot. I look forward to getting to know all of you and learning more about the game.
Welcome to the fold, mate!

This forum is a great resource for ASL.

You will find, that its inherent search function does not work well. If you want to search things, use Google and this query for your browser:

site:gamesquad.com [your search words]

Best advice:
Try to find people with some experience to play the game together with. This will speed up your learning curve immensely and your fun in doing so.

If you have not heard of it yet:
VASL is brilliant! You can play people across the world and watch others play and learn from their techniques. See here.

Cheers,
von Marwitz

atago44

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi,

I think I am like most guys here. I am not really new--my wargaming "career" goes back to 1976 when my Dad brought home Avalon Hill's Midway. I really was too young to play with the grownups, but I snatched it up, and it became mine and started a love affair that lasts to this day--off and on, of course.

I bought Squad Leader about 1981, but I was a big tank person, so Panzer Leader was really my game. I also bought COI, which was better on tanks, and COD, and GI: Anvil about the time SL was phased out. But as I thought an expensive system revamp was a rip off, so I passed on ASL until a friend of my brother's brought over Kampgruppe Peiper I, which sparked my interest in ASL.

I played some in the late 90's (but not a lot) and up until a few years ago, when life circumstances put ASL on the backburner. At this stage I am not yet back to playing, and my interests there lie more in family and few friends--I don't live near any clubs, and don't have the time to participate in tournaments, which are all pretty far from where I live. Still, I used to participate in the old list, and it'll be fun chatting with guys about ASL.

My favorite games are HASL campaigns. My main ASL superpower is spending a ton of money on aproducts, opening and looking over its components, reading through the scenarios, and never playing it. I've got my copies of Hatten and Red Factories (couldn't just get Red October--absolutely had to have the campaign game linking it with Red Barricades), preordered Manila and Rising Sun, and managed to, believe it or not, snag a shrink wrap of Haakaa Pallee for under $150.00 and an unpunched Starter Kit 3 for $42.00. (They are out there, if you look hard enough.)

For now what I am most interested in is using the Starter Kits as a way to refresh and enhance my understanding of the rules--I've already caught a bunch of things I didn't realize when I was actually playing ASL. So there it is.

johnl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
atago44

Welcome back! Armchair ASLing is what I did also for many years as I expect many here have. Your story is very familiar.

If you ever get to a point where you would like to play, you might consider PBEM using VASL. With a willing opponent, and there are many, you can spend whatever spare time is available with no pressure to finish a game or even a turn. But even so, opening those new boxes are great times, settling back to fondle the contents is ..., well, you know!

johnl

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Hi,

I think I am like most guys here. I am not really new--my wargaming "career" goes back to 1976 when my Dad brought home Avalon Hill's Midway. I really was too young to play with the grownups, but I snatched it up, and it became mine and started a love affair that lasts to this day--off and on, of course.

I bought Squad Leader about 1981, but I was a big tank person, so Panzer Leader was really my game. I also bought COI, which was better on tanks, and COD, and GI: Anvil about the time SL was phased out. But as I thought an expensive system revamp was a rip off, so I passed on ASL until a friend of my brother's brought over Kampgruppe Peiper I, which sparked my interest in ASL.

I played some in the late 90's (but not a lot) and up until a few years ago, when life circumstances put ASL on the backburner. At this stage I am not yet back to playing, and my interests there lie more in family and few friends--I don't live near any clubs, and don't have the time to participate in tournaments, which are all pretty far from where I live. Still, I used to participate in the old list, and it'll be fun chatting with guys about ASL.

My favorite games are HASL campaigns. My main ASL superpower is spending a ton of money on aproducts, opening and looking over its components, reading through the scenarios, and never playing it. I've got my copies of Hatten and Red Factories (couldn't just get Red October--absolutely had to have the campaign game linking it with Red Barricades), preordered Manila and Rising Sun, and managed to, believe it or not, snag a shrink wrap of Haakaa Pallee for under $150.00 and an unpunched Starter Kit 3 for $42.00. (They are out there, if you look hard enough.)

For now what I am most interested in is using the Starter Kits as a way to refresh and enhance my understanding of the rules--I've already caught a bunch of things I didn't realize when I was actually playing ASL. So there it is.

Welcome back!

If nobody lives close to you to play ASL or ASLSK, then VASL (Virtual ASL) might be just the thing for you. It works just splendidly and via this forum, it is not hard to find opponents that can get you back into the game. See my post here.

von Marwitz

atago44

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the kind welcome.

Yes, I am familiar with VASL. I have never played it, but I am looking into it.

I guess now it's time to post uninformed, asinine opinions, make unwarranted judgements, and see how many flame wars I can ignite! (Just kidding.)

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
The level of heat is very mild compared with the 2003-2008 period.
Sorry, I wasn't around at the time.

I don't think the level of heat is generally high, just that there are some real tempers around and sometimes, a discussion that could remain pretty mild turns into very heated debate. Hence the "flamable" analogy.

atago44

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The level of heat is very mild compared with the 2003-2008 period.
Oh, I was around on the old list during that time.

I have already noticed a few names that were pretty much heroes equipped with flame throwers. It was fun.

Of course, people mellow with age--or not!

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Oh, I was around on the old list during that time.

I have already noticed a few names that were pretty much heroes equipped with flame throwers. It was fun.

Of course, people mellow with age--or not!
If you're feeling nostalgic for the flame wars and other non relevance the old Mila 18 thread is always available. 🙄🙄