New members introduce yourself here!

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Welcome, all new members!

This can be a daunting place, but do not be discouraged from contributing. Please take the time to tell us a little about yourself in the new members area. Be sure to include your gaming interests, etc.

We're friendly once you get to know us.

Stockpro11

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi I am a new member just getting back into ASL after a 20 year hiatus. Have met and played a couple of scenarios on VASL (not pbem - i can't figure out the vasl code yet) from Atlanta GA area specifically McDonough

buser333

Reaction score
Hi I am a new member just getting back into ASL after a 20 year hiatus. Have met and played a couple of scenarios on VASL (not pbem - i can't figure out the vasl code yet) from Atlanta GA area specifically McDonough
Welcome back to the fold.

Ed Donoghue

Reaction score
First name
Ed
Country
llUnited States
After a 20 year hiatus, you picked the best place to make your as smooth and stress free as you would want. Don't be afraid to ask questions on any ASL related subject. This sight is just loaded with years of experience and tons of knowledge, and plenty of people eager to share both. Explore, read the new posts, look over the threads, the amount of information available here without even having to ask is outstanding. Welcome back & have fun.

Heloanjin

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Craig
Country
llUnited States
I'm a new member discovering ASL starting with SK1. I was a wargamer in the 70's/80's, mostly AH (D-Day, Russian Campaign, Afrika Corps, Third Reich, and finally Squad Leader and follow-on modules). I'm looking for VASL opponents who don't mind new players.

WargameHQ

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm a lapsed ASL'er... I have steadily purchased anything and everything ASL for the past ~20 years, but the last time I moved a digital or physical half-squad was about 6 years ago. Sad, I know! As a result, I'm trying to get back into playing more and with my new job, I should have more time to be able to do just that! So ... I'm excited to be part of the community and am looking forward to meeting everyone!

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Welcome Heloanjin and WargameHQ !
I hope that you will find good resources over here.
I would recommend the Rules and errata, and the Opponents wanted folders.

Ed Donoghue

Reaction score
First name
Ed
Country
llUnited States
Welcome back to both of you. You both have landed in the right place. You will not find any place with more knowledge, experience or willingness to share it than here.

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Hey guys, not new to ASL or this forum, but took a hiatus from both for awhile. Just getting back into the swing of things and getting caught up. Last week I bought the pocket rulebook and all the Action Packs and Winter Offensive packs I was behind on, as well as Starter Kit 4 and SK Exp Pack 2. Earlier today I bought Red Factories.

My RL buddy is getting back into it too, and we are scheduled to play the first infantry-only scenario from SK4 next week. We plan to play through all the scenarios, starting with the infantry-only ones. I've played a lot more ASL than him - I'd be comfortable just jumping back into full ASL with tanks, OBA, Night, what-have-you but I'll put on the kid-gloves for awhile. :p

Now that I'm back to ASL I'll probably be hanging around here pretty regularly. That's the bad news. The good news is I quit drinking a couple years ago, so I should be less of an asshole. No promises tho. :)

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey guys, not new to ASL or this forum, but took a hiatus from both for awhile. Just getting back into the swing of things and getting caught up. Last week I bought the pocket rulebook and all the Action Packs and Winter Offensive packs I was behind on, as well as Starter Kit 4 and SK Exp Pack 2. Earlier today I bought Red Factories.

My RL buddy is getting back into it too, and we are scheduled to play the first infantry-only scenario from SK4 next week. We plan to play through all the scenarios, starting with the infantry-only ones. I've played a lot more ASL than him - I'd be comfortable just jumping back into full ASL with tanks, OBA, Night, what-have-you but I'll put on the kid-gloves for awhile. :p

Now that I'm back to ASL I'll probably be hanging around here pretty regularly. That's the bad news. The good news is I quit drinking a couple years ago, so I should be less of an asshole. No promises tho. :)
Good to see ya back!?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine

Hehe... Faded 8-1 is rallying to the colors again... Welcome back!

von Marwitz

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey Everybody

My name is Nicholas, I started playing hex-and-counter wargames when I was 12 (35 now) with my dad, Kriegspiel. I like the traditional war-games most of all, although I will play anything at least once. I do no not mind card games but gave up MTG years ago. I also played Warhammer 40K and Warmachine, gave up both due to player population. I like more complex games just for the choices they give each side. I like ASL because as someone who was a combat medic in the army in Iraq I feel like I can relate to the tactics and situations. The ASL crew is fantastic, the group is always willing to help. The amount of knowledge, not just concerning ASL is incredible. I do not think you could find a hobby anywhere with so many real individuals.

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Hey Everybody

My name is Nicholas, I started playing hex-and-counter wargames when I was 12 (35 now) with my dad, Kriegspiel. I like the traditional war-games most of all, although I will play anything at least once. I do no not mind card games but gave up MTG years ago. I also played Warhammer 40K and Warmachine, gave up both due to player population. I like more complex games just for the choices they give each side. I like ASL because as someone who was a combat medic in the army in Iraq I feel like I can relate to the tactics and situations. The ASL crew is fantastic, the group is always willing to help. The amount of knowledge, not just concerning ASL is incredible. I do not think you could find a hobby anywhere with so many real individuals.
Although you are already around here since April 2019 and thus not really new, welcome to the fold.

For those who love complex wargames, ASL seems indeed to be somewhat of Garden Eden (EXC: the innocence might be lacking...). A game such as ASL requires a certain mindset and attracts a particular kind of character that oftentimes has stories to tell.

That said, not all people here are real... Folks will remember that dude a couple of years ago who appeared here as 'that dude' and and as two(!) young well shaped lasses Nicky and ?? keen to play ASL with the bunch of old fat buggers that many of us are [EXC: Oberst von Marwitz stands out with his well defined wiry proportions and steely eyes that wood sink Nicky and a shipload of her sisters like the 'HMS Hood' with a single gaze.]

von Marwitz

M.Koch

Grenadier TD
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
... [EXC: Oberst von Marwitz stands out with his well defined wiry proportions and steely eyes that wood sink Nicky and a shipload of her sisters like the 'HMS Hood' with a single gaze.]

von Marwitz
Coughing slightly... the only well defined thing of Herr Oberst is his consumption of Château Mouton-Rothschild . And i can tell you that it was no easy task to organize that stuff somewhere in the Russian steppe. Now, that we are back in Biaritz, it´s a whole different thing.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Coughing slightly... the only well defined thing of Herr Oberst is his consumption of Château Mouton-Rothschild . And i can tell you that it was no easy task to organize that stuff somewhere in the Russian steppe. Now, that we are back in Biaritz, it´s a whole different thing.
A sharp frown of the Oberst mutes his orderly Koch instantly. But organizing a continuous supply of Château Mouton-Rothschild in the midst of the Russian steppe is no small feat and this pertly Koch knew it. Thus the Oberst refrained from the notion of keeping this irreverence - and Koch with it - in the east but instead effected his transfer to von Marwitz's new post in Biarritz. War demands sacrifices and von Marwitz has always been of the conviction, that its objectives should lie in the west, namely on the beautiful shores of the Bay of Biscay.

von Marwitz

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A sharp frown of the Oberst mutes his orderly Koch instantly. But organizing a continuous supply of Château Mouton-Rothschild in the midst of the Russian steppe is no small feat and this pertly Koch knew it. Thus the Oberst refrained from the notion of keeping this irreverence - and Koch with it - in the east but instead effected his transfer to von Marwitz's new post in Biarritz. War demands sacrifices and von Marwitz has always been of the conviction, that its objectives should lie in the west, namely on the beautiful shores of the Bay of Biscay.

von Marwitz
A new man for sure! Welcome aboard Von M. Any relation to the guy that used to hang around here? Name sounds familiar.;)

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
A new man for sure! Welcome aboard Von M. Any relation to the guy that used to hang around here? Name sounds familiar.;)
Some relations might be old... In the late 1140s, an ancestor, Hadebrand von Marwitz, is said to have courted Elanor of Aquitaine. But that maiden was bullheaded of sorts, so it would not do. Later, she married the French king Louis VII. But he divorced her and she remarried Henry Plantagenet. As it was, all the intrigue she was involved in sparked the 300 years of conflict beween the French and the English. So Hadebrand could count himself lucky of missing out. However, beside some ransacking, he took a liking to the vintages of the area.

von Marwitz

traygreen

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Tray
Country
llUnited States
Lots of SL back in the 80's. A bit of ASL 2000 - 2005 - all ftf.
Just got VASSL 3.2.17 up and running with VASL 6.5.1. Will play around with the interface a bit to get a feel for it then will be posting for a couple of training wheel runs - PBEM or live (use discord etc too)
or looking for ftf opponents in NC Kansas.

Am up on the ASL Discord channel as Scrappykidz and have a VASSL PBEM SK1 game up and running - looking for more ;)

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Is that you, Nicky? ?

(My apologies for this little joke at your cost that some people here might understand. I just had to... ;))

Now seriously:

Welcome back to the fold, traygreen. With VASL up and running paired with this forum, you are well set. This combination changed everything for me in 2010 when I (re-)discovered both. All of a sudden, the most obscure questions were answered by rules gurus, opponents found all around the world, ASL folklore listened to...

Enjoy!

Cheers,
von Marwitz