New members introduce yourself here!

jholen

Reaction score
First name
Jon
Country
llUnited States
Been a member here for awhile now, though only added myself to the ASL player's Google map, I've played one live VASL game and a number of PBeM games... life got a bit hectic and PBeM wasn't a huge enjoyment for me as it almost felt like a daily task instead of sitting down to enjoy a game, though I'm guessing that was primarily my work life craziness ramping up just due to a busy time of year combined with being in the summertime.

Reinvigorated and looking to jump back in. I've got all core modules (got FW on order along w/ the overlay bundle and both LFT From the Cellar packs w/ Toby's defense article and Jim's attack article)... also recently picked up the full DftB WORKs pack from Vic and the ASL Journal bundle from wargame vault. As far as HASLs, I've got Hatten in Flames, Festung Budapest and Red Factories. Looking to get more involved here as well as over in the ASL Discord. Also snagged Second Front (I had a good overtime paycheck) for those times when I just want to squeaze in a few turns and have been enjoying that.

Vic encouraged me to hop on over and get involved so here I am. Looking forward to it.

Reaction score
First name
Torsten
Country
llGermany
Kind of a cross Post in the new member subforum:

Good Morning everybody,

I‘m Torsten and I live about 40km north of Hamburg.
I used to play regularly with my local opponent/friend, but in last couple of years that went into a hiatus.
Now we are in the process of reviving our playtime (kids, job, house etc. barring most days of the week) and I am acquiring the products I missed out on buying in the last 2-3 years.

After venturing out into and collecting a lot of other wargames I discovered I‘m simply lacking the time to read the rules, set up the game AND finding the time to actually PLAY them. So after removing the dust I packed them away after a couple of weeks. Did I mention I always meticulously clip every single counter beforehand? I think I spent more time clipping than actually playing… 😂

Alas, getting back into a firm(ish) grasp of the rules, I can now get a quick fix with a short scenario. And reading the ASLRB in bed makes for a quick trip into the REM phase. 😂

My 11yr old son is now learning SK and yesterday successfully retook Vierville. 😀
He even agreed to history lessons with me, because I want him to know what is happening on the board and why. We‘re starting with the unification wars of the German Reich at the weekend. Herr Bismarck is looming in the past!

All in all I‘m happy to be be back and looking forward to hours of play.

Jeff Rubin

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Jeff
Country
llUnited States
New member. Introduce myself. Played SL and other AH board games/war games as a teen in the late 1970s. Recently retired (64 yrs old) and was re-introduced to gaming. Got the ASL-SK 1-3 and then the electronic ASL rules and am just starting Beyond Valor. Watched YouTube videos and heard about this FB page. Using Vassel for solo play only so far but am interested in finding opponents who are either also starting out again or would play a newb. I have played online games solo such as Tigers on the Hunt and Lock n Load Tactical Digital. Thanks for letting me join.
All reactions:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
New member. Introduce myself. Played SL and other AH board games/war games as a teen in the late 1970s. Recently retired (64 yrs old) and was re-introduced to gaming. Got the ASL-SK 1-3 and then the electronic ASL rules and am just starting Beyond Valor. Watched YouTube videos and heard about this FB page. Using Vassel for solo play only so far but am interested in finding opponents who are either also starting out again or would play a newb. I have played online games solo such as Tigers on the Hunt and Lock n Load Tactical Digital. Thanks for letting me join.
All reactions:
Welcome back!

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
All reactions:
I've been running into quite a few "new/old" players that are in similar situations lately. I believe it's not only because of the additional time we now have for such venues, but a yearning to recapture some of that fun and excitement we experienced in our younger days; not to mention the personal interaction that "board games" provide. One of the things I always promote to them is download VASSAL & VASL and start plinking around with it. That will open up a wealth of opportunities to interact with additional players in similar situations (and more than likely find quite a few new good friends along the way). With your location on the east coast, there should also be a fairly good opportunity to get together with a face-to-face opponent within a reasonable distance of you. Welcome aboard. (Another one bites the dust!) ;)

Auscot

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hello all,
I am yet another "returning" ASLer.
I played the game to destruction back in the late 80's into the 90s but like many moved away from it and with the demise of AH I sold off all my stuff.
In a recent conversation with my son, an avid tabletop gamer, he mentioned that there wasn't a really good WW2 Tabletop game around so I talked to him about ASL and so we have been working on a tabletop adaptation of the game.
We've played a few games now and we are getting a lot of interest especially from the young crowd at our local games shop, which is very encouraging.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Hello all,
I am yet another "returning" ASLer.
I played the game to destruction back in the late 80's into the 90s but like many moved away from it and with the demise of AH I sold off all my stuff.
Say it ain't so. 'Restoring' your kit will be a costly undertaking - which should not deter you.

In a recent conversation with my son, an avid tabletop gamer, he mentioned that there wasn't a really good WW2 Tabletop game around so I talked to him about ASL and so we have been working on a tabletop adaptation of the game.
There are some very few ASLers that also created a tabletop landscape for playing using GHQ miniatures. Pictures can be found somewhere in the depths of this forum.

We've played a few games now and we are getting a lot of interest especially from the young crowd at our local games shop, which is very encouraging.
You old veteran tell them young guns about how cool ASL is!

Cheers,
von Marwitz

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Welcome here, Tom !
I hope you will find good resources and interactions over here.

darthsmaul

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Im new got all 4 SK's now with a couple expansions, playing some PBEM and live on vassal and sticking with SK1 but itching to get further in LOL, used to play SL got up into tanks so know roughly what it is like. I run a game store in Fargo ND and just started bringing in ASL stuff. Hoping to get some guys hooked locally. :)

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Greetings! Just getting back into the ASL world. Relearning the system working on Chapter A - B, and how to play VASL.
Good luck! You came to a great place for rules questions and contacts. Don't be afraid or embarrassed to ask questions. People here are most happy to help. Good gunnin to you.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Greetings! Just getting back into the ASL world. Relearning the system working on Chapter A - B, and how to play VASL.
Doing that, you are on the right track. VASL will make it much easier for you to find opponents, which - in turn - will speed up relearning the system faster than anything else.

Welcome back to the fold.

von Marwitz

Scout7IDL

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello everybody. I played SL mostly with my brother back in the early eighties before I went off to the army. Played a lot of ASL with a group in college after I got out.

I'm rebuilding my SL/ASL collection after having sold some of it and then getting most of the rest of it wiped out by Hurricane Katrina back in '05.

I'm on the Gulf Coast of MS and would be up for some FtF or VASL as I'm getting back into it and have been playing solo for the last month or so and going over the rule book. Cheers!

Tin_Man

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello all...Scott here,
Due to health reasons (heart transplant), I have retired early (age 56) and have found that I am no longer able to pursue many of the more physical activities that consumed my free time. I dabbled in ASL in High School while working at a local hobby and craft store. My interest at that time seemed more focused on possessing every module/Journal/Annual, more than actually learning the finer points of this great game.
Everything I owned got destroyed in a flood in my parents basement while I was in the Army.
Now I have the wife's blessing to get back into it. I guess she feels its safer than my previous exploits.
So here I sit with pouring over the rulebook while I eagerly await Beyond Valor. I have joined a local group (TCASL) and hope to get up to speed soon.
Hope to also become more fluent in VASL and maybe participate in online or PBEM play.

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Hello all...Scott here,
Due to health reasons (heart transplant), I have retired early (age 56) and have found that I am no longer able to pursue many of the more physical activities that consumed my free time. I dabbled in ASL in High School while working at a local hobby and craft store. My interest at that time seemed more focused on possessing every module/Journal/Annual, more than actually learning the finer points of this great game.
Everything I owned got destroyed in a flood in my parents basement while I was in the Army.
Now I have the wife's blessing to get back into it. I guess she feels its safer than my previous exploits.
So here I sit with pouring over the rulebook while I eagerly await Beyond Valor. I have joined a local group (TCASL) and hope to get up to speed soon.
Thanks for the great Boot Camp Videos, it really helps to get a visual on the details of ASL.
Hope to also become more fluent in VASL and maybe participate in online or PBEM play.
Welcome! This is a great place to help you get into the game again. Have fun and remember to roll low.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello all...Scott here,
I look forward to meeting you one of these days as well, With the likes of Geoff, Mark & Houlie there as mentors you'll be up to smashing my forces in no time if we get together. Welcome aboard and get out the pocketbook.