New members introduce yourself here!

Jwil2020

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am no prophet, but I think that the three ring binder won't be the format of the future.
Probably correct. However, I don't think the hobby will get to a place where there is no longer a demand for a hold-in-your-hands-book anytime soon, regardless of the convenience of the Electonic version. And as for the pRB, von Marwitz makes a good point: the pocket RB, Charts, and Chapter H are certainly handy, BUT their small font remains a challenge for old eyes. Which, IMO, is a condition that probably describes a significant portion of the ASL community. It certainly describes me. o_O

PresterJohn

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I imagine that the finest addition to a gaming room will be an old style reading lectern with an ASL Binder open to Chapter F standing off to the side.

I have also been reading the rules again and watching videos to get myself back up to speed after a twenty year or so break. I have collected all of the starter kits with the intention of using it in VASL and then going back into the full rules, especially the desert scenarios which is about where I was up too (WoA) when I slowed down. Otherwise I'm located in Australia so not exactly the best of time zone compatibility.

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
I imagine that the finest addition to a gaming room will be an old style reading lectern with an ASL Binder open to Chapter F standing off to the side.
To complete this picture it needs someone in robes doing the reading. :)

WAYCOOL

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello, I am a younger player who spent about two years looking for a game that got it before stumbling across ASL, and have never looked back. The only wrong thing with ASL in my opinion is the cost. And the german PF (Literally every single scenario I have played with german infantry and enemy armor has never gone well for the armor after 1943.)

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Well, you have to be careful with your armor against late war Germans. Stay as close to 6-hex range as you can. The closer you get, especially in urban terrain, the easier it is for the Germans to flank you. That's if you're screening with infantry, which you need to be in the city. If necessary, you can turn your hull to train your BMG on adjacent building hexes that would otherwise be uncovered. Do that when you move into the hex - look ahead at what part of your screen is the most vulnerable, and where disaster might occur. If you have good AAMG, consider going CE (depends on situation, as does all of it). A cheap way (in manpower) to screen in depth is to stack a HS, directly with a stopped AFV. Otherwise it's good to screen in depth on each flank if possible. That can mean deploying and moving HS out front to point positions. It can also mean you have to consolidate your armor, at least early on.

I do agree with you that PF is a little OP, at least compared to historical. However, in ASL, it's really not game-breaking. And the potency of the ASL PF is not lost on scenario designers, you can bank on that.

Last edited:

andersb80

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Hi everybody!

I am man in my early forties from Sweden, who played my first ASL game last week and really loved it! :) Me and a friend played Retaking Vierville from Starter Kit 1 and my Germans lost big time but it was very fun.

I have been playing table top miniatures games and board games all my life but not detailed wargames like ASL at all. So this is a whole new world that is opening up for me! We will continue playing Starter Kit 1 for a while and wait for Starter Kit 2 and 3 to be reprinted before going full rules. It is a very good way of learning the game, as you probably know.

Looking forward to hang out here on the forum and pick up info, strategies and rule explanations and so on.