New members introduce yourself here!

Jwil2020

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am no prophet, but I think that the three ring binder won't be the format of the future.
Probably correct. However, I don't think the hobby will get to a place where there is no longer a demand for a hold-in-your-hands-book anytime soon, regardless of the convenience of the Electonic version. And as for the pRB, von Marwitz makes a good point: the pocket RB, Charts, and Chapter H are certainly handy, BUT their small font remains a challenge for old eyes. Which, IMO, is a condition that probably describes a significant portion of the ASL community. It certainly describes me. o_O

PresterJohn

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I imagine that the finest addition to a gaming room will be an old style reading lectern with an ASL Binder open to Chapter F standing off to the side.

I have also been reading the rules again and watching videos to get myself back up to speed after a twenty year or so break. I have collected all of the starter kits with the intention of using it in VASL and then going back into the full rules, especially the desert scenarios which is about where I was up too (WoA) when I slowed down. Otherwise I'm located in Australia so not exactly the best of time zone compatibility.

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
I imagine that the finest addition to a gaming room will be an old style reading lectern with an ASL Binder open to Chapter F standing off to the side.
To complete this picture it needs someone in robes doing the reading. :)

WAYCOOL

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello, I am a younger player who spent about two years looking for a game that got it before stumbling across ASL, and have never looked back. The only wrong thing with ASL in my opinion is the cost. And the german PF (Literally every single scenario I have played with german infantry and enemy armor has never gone well for the armor after 1943.)

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Well, you have to be careful with your armor against late war Germans. Stay as close to 6-hex range as you can. The closer you get, especially in urban terrain, the easier it is for the Germans to flank you. That's if you're screening with infantry, which you need to be in the city. If necessary, you can turn your hull to train your BMG on adjacent building hexes that would otherwise be uncovered. Do that when you move into the hex - look ahead at what part of your screen is the most vulnerable, and where disaster might occur. If you have good AAMG, consider going CE (depends on situation, as does all of it). A cheap way (in manpower) to screen in depth is to stack a HS, directly with a stopped AFV. Otherwise it's good to screen in depth on each flank if possible. That can mean deploying and moving HS out front to point positions. It can also mean you have to consolidate your armor, at least early on.

I do agree with you that PF is a little OP, at least compared to historical. However, in ASL, it's really not game-breaking. And the potency of the ASL PF is not lost on scenario designers, you can bank on that.

Last edited:

andersb80

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Hi everybody!

I am man in my early forties from Sweden, who played my first ASL game last week and really loved it! :) Me and a friend played Retaking Vierville from Starter Kit 1 and my Germans lost big time but it was very fun.

I have been playing table top miniatures games and board games all my life but not detailed wargames like ASL at all. So this is a whole new world that is opening up for me! We will continue playing Starter Kit 1 for a while and wait for Starter Kit 2 and 3 to be reprinted before going full rules. It is a very good way of learning the game, as you probably know.

Looking forward to hang out here on the forum and pick up info, strategies and rule explanations and so on.

taylor100550

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello everyone,
From what I've gathered, I'm on the younger side of the ASL demographics (mid-twenties) as well. I just heard about this game the other day from the steam forums and reviews of the video game Second Front. This style of game play and the granular nature of it really tricks my brain. I've got starter kit 1 and 2 ordered and I'm watching tutorials on YouTube in the meantime. VASSAL and the VASL module is installed and ready to go, I just have to learn the rules and find someone who's willing to put up with someone who's very new to hex and chit gaming.

buser333

Reaction score
Welcome Taylor,
I'm sure I speak for just about everyone here that it's always nice to see new players enter the hobby, not to mention players of a younger generation.
It gives us hope that the game we love so much will continue to live on.
I'm sure you'll find a very welcoming community here, and more than one person's offer to help you in your learning processes.
It's a challenging game if you continue past the SK packs, but even with those I am sure you'll have more than enough to keep you busy for some time.
I wish you well, and hope you do end up enjoying the game as much as the rest of us.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Hello everyone,
From what I've gathered, I'm on the younger side of the ASL demographics (mid-twenties) as well. I just heard about this game the other day from the steam forums and reviews of the video game Second Front. This style of game play and the granular nature of it really tricks my brain. I've got starter kit 1 and 2 ordered and I'm watching tutorials on YouTube in the meantime. VASSAL and the VASL module is installed and ready to go, I just have to learn the rules and find someone who's willing to put up with someone who's very new to hex and chit gaming.
Good luck and don't be afraid to ask questions here. Have fun!

Heloanjin

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Craig
Country
llUnited States
Hello everyone,

Welcome to a whole new world. Some "quick" unsolicited suggestions.

• Read the rules with errata. You can do this before you receive your copy of SK1. MMP has the SK4 rules you can download for free which covers SK1 thru 4 and includes all errata. Here is a link to the rules that have been highlighted by SK to make it easier to focus on what is relevant.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1923357254560397/permalink/3171935813035862/

• Read Jay Richardson’s tutorial. This is hands down the best aide when learning the game system.
http://www.texas-asl.com/download/ASLSKTutorial.v1.0.pdf

• Join ASL communities online.
    • Discord Advanced Squad Leader Central is for the ASL community at large. It has channels for questions and discussions on tactics or history. It also has an Opponents Wanted channel which is a great place to find opponents around the world.
    • Discord also has voice channels to use for communication while playing on VASL.
https://discord.gg/advanced-squad-leader-central-415876852419395586

https://www.facebook.com/groups/advancedsquadleader/

• There are many other sites, as well. You can get answers to questions, find opponents, and hear ASL news, among other things.

• Play early and play often. Don't worry about how well you know the rules. The best way to learn, after a first read through, is to play.

6. Finally, if you are interested, I have done SK Infantry tutorials for brand new players. I’m happy to run another. I've been told it has been helpful.

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Hello everyone,
Welcome, Taylor!

Incidentally, I was watching some youtube stuff on Second Front yesterday. And was surprised to find out that its developer is Jo Bader, a German, whom I have met at some ASL-Tournaments many years ago.

If you some of the mechanics behind Second Front, then let me tell you, that they are inspired by ASL. And with ASL, you have found "the real McCoy". SK1 is fine for starters. If you like that, then take the dive into ASL. You've found this forum, you've found VASL. The best resource, the best tool. You are now looking for someone to teach you.

So far, you've been doing everything right! (I wish I had back in the days...). The fastest and best way to get an impression and to learn is to find someone to teach you and try it via VASL.

Cheers,
von Marwitz

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The nice thing about learning ASL via trial and error, is that you can recommend to a new player the expertise of a veteran
player that you have encountered.

taylor100550

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Welcome Taylor,
I'm sure I speak for just about everyone here that it's always nice to see new players enter the hobby, not to mention players of a younger generation.
It gives us hope that the game we love so much will continue to live on.
I'm sure you'll find a very welcoming community here, and more than one person's offer to help you in your learning processes.
It's a challenging game if you continue past the SK packs, but even with those I am sure you'll have more than enough to keep you busy for some time.
I wish you well, and hope you do end up enjoying the game as much as the rest of us.
Thank you! Taking a look at all the scenarios provided so far in just the first two starter kits, I think I definitely will be busy for a bit.
Good luck and don't be afraid to ask questions here. Have fun!
Thanks!
The free tutorials and Examples of Play (EOP) on Board Game Geek will clarify the starter kit rules.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/9823/advanced-squad-leader-starter-kit-1/files
Thank you, and I appreciate the link!
Welcome to a whole new world. Some "quick" unsolicited suggestions. . .
As a novice, I can hardly say no to free advice, thank you! I've actually been reading Jay Richardson's tutorials already, they've been a Godsend with their clarity. I may take you up on the offer, if you don't mind. Practicing the rules by oneself is hard when you don't have a firm grasp on them already.
Welcome, Taylor!

Incidentally, I was watching some youtube stuff on Second Front yesterday. And was surprised to find out that its developer is Jo Bader, a German, whom I have met at some ASL-Tournaments many years ago. . .
Thank you! And that's one of the things that I like about the ASL community is that it, so far to me at least, is a tightknit community where everyone either knows someone or knows someone who knows someone. Which is great when your community is so friendly and welcoming to begin with.
The nice thing about learning ASL via trial and error, is that you can recommend to a new player the expertise of a veteran
player that you have encountered.
That seems to be the way to do it! And few things beats hands on training like that.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The best way to enjoy the endeavor is to just play the game with someone that knows the rules with an expectation that you will get better, quickly.