New member here

historicalgamer

Recruit
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Just joined up and I need some guidance. I received an email from George at Lone Canuck directing me here after I asked about printing his ASL for Fun maps. In his experience, you folks are the experts.

Some help please?

Thank you in advance.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What was your question to George?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I printed one of his ASL for Fun maps here in Germany for a friendly game at a tournament. Cost me 20 Euros. If you have it printed, you should ask for non-glossy paper to be used. This will reduce glare when you sit at the table looking at the map.

von Marwitz

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You looking for printing advice? Are you looking for opponents and someone to teach you how to play?

You live in PA, so that's a good start for finding an opponent.

historicalgamer

Recruit
Reaction score
My question was regarding how I would obtain a file format that would allow my buddy with the nifty printer to run maps for me. He is unable to use the Lone Canuck site zip files in exe format.

George said to contact you folks to see how you are printing them.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
My question was regarding how I would obtain a file format that would allow my buddy with the nifty printer to run maps for me. He is unable to use the Lone Canuck site zip files in exe format
I am not sure what you mean, "zip files in exe format." None of the zip files I see are in self-extracting format. Some are pure .zip files (those that end with ".zip") and some are in vasl format (those that do not have an extension and begin with "bd"). The ones that are pure .zip files you should be able to extract using any zip program. Those that are in vasl format are actually in .zip format but renamed. If you are using windows, rename the file by adding the ".zip" file extension. If that doesn't work, it might be helpful to know which map you are having trouble with.

JR

Last edited:

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The OP may have fooled you by including it in the original post in plain English.
The question is not readily apparent, even to those of us that speak perfect English. He starts his thread by titling it "New member here", which is a perfectly fine name for a thread but isn't descriptive in any way shape or form about what he needs. Then he indicated that he was directed here after asking about printing maps. I mean one could infer that he was asking how to print a map, but even then his "question" was pretty light on information.

FWIW, I went to George's site and both of those files (the map and scenario pack) download exactly as you would expect them to, pdf for the pack and no extension zip file for the board. If you're unfamiliar with working with board files, you can download the pdf and easily extract the map with most photo editors. In Adobe Photoshop, for example, you can open the pdf and then select just the map page to open in PS. Then you can save as an image file if you prefer and transport it to your local printatorium via thumb drive for them to print. It appears to be a very high quality map at full resolution.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
The question is not readily apparent, even to those of us that speak perfect English.
Nah. We got it.

you can download the pdf and easily extract the map with most photo editors. In Adobe Photoshop, for example, you can open the pdf and then select just the map page to open in PS. Then you can save as an image file if you prefer and transport it to your local printatorium via thumb drive for them to print. It appears to be a very high quality map at full resolution.
Look at that, so did you.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nah. We got it.

Look at that, so did you.
I'm not one of your usual cronies that is mesmerized by your charm. I got it because six posts later he came back on and posted exactly what he was looking for help with. I like how you think you're part of the royal we around here though. Good for you I bet your parents are so proud.

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
Welcome, and as already noted, you can't be expected to understand the origins of some disputes, they often go way back and few remember the actual cause.
Just disregard, as it's not directed at you, nor should you feel responsible!

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I'm not one of your usual cronies that is mesmerized by your charm.
If that wasn't the case, you would have stopped replying two responses ago. :)

I got it because six posts later he came back on and posted exactly what he was looking for help with.
"I received an email from George at Lone Canuck directing me here after I asked about printing his ASL for Fun maps"

If you don't get from this that he wants help printing maps, how is it you are able to parse the ASL Rulebook?