New member arriving from the UK

cheddarg

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Hello folks,
I'm from E.Sussex, UK. Got the rules and ASLSK#1 about 2 years ago - had a few games and half a dozen tutorials under Pat Ireland, then stopped playing and forgot about ASL :|

Now i'm freshly obsessed once again, got BV (1st edition :( ) recently, and am lucky to have a similar skill level f2f opponent to learn with.

Just..need..to..not buy more modules too quickly, i'm obsessive over boardgames, what can I say..

Will probably post in the 'Opponents Wanted' section as I would really benefit from a few full rules games, and would also like to find another (regular) f2f opponent or two in case my current one gets scared off.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Now i'm freshly obsessed once again, got BV (1st edition :( ) recently, and am lucky to have a similar skill level f2f opponent to learn with.
I would argue that having a beginning opponent is actually not a great plus for learning (although it is better than solo). You will learn a great deal more a great deal faster by playing someone better than you. And playing a small number of opponents, especially similarly-skilled opponents, leads to "group-think" where everyone plays the same style both for good and bad. It's good to have a local opponent, but I suggest making the effort to play others, especially those who are good players. You may lose, but if you focus on the play and not the results, you will progress faster. Tournaments & vasl are two good way to expand your play horizons.

JR