New maps from the Starter Kits

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wait... I already have boards k and l (Deluxe). So there will be two sets of boards with the same designation, and it will only get worse as they work their way back through the alphabet with future SK boards. I foresee much conflict and confusion - this business will get out of control, people!
And future deluxe maps.

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ocean DASL boards? That's all wet. Beach DASL boards? Son, you got some sand asking for those.

Matt Book

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don't know if this idea has been put forward before...

What about converting all published SK scenarios to full ASL scenarios in a scenario pack? Maybe released with the SK maps? You could release future SK scenarios compatible with full on ASL using the same scenario card, but simply denoting what is used in SK/Full ASL mode. For example, use colored text to depict the different modes on the scenario card Red = SK, Black = Full ASL, i.e. (ELR 4, SAN 3), etc. This also allows new players to graduate to full on ASL mode using the same scenarios to compare the difference, while opening up all the SK scenarios and the SK maps to be used by the entire ASL community.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Hm, I don't know if 'conversion' would be so simple.

It might work for some scenarios to be played either as SK or ASL. But for others, Bypass and Concealment alone might be factors that fundamentally alter how the scenario plays and affect its balance. I reckon to do this 'right', all SK scenarios would have to be playtested / edited for use with full ASL rules. No piece of cake...

von Marwitz

Matt Book

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hm, I don't know if 'conversion' would be so simple.

It might work for some scenarios to be played either as SK or ASL. But for others, Bypass and Concealment alone might be factors that fundamentally alter how the scenario plays and affect its balance. I reckon to do this 'right', all SK scenarios would have to be playtested / edited for use with full ASL rules. No piece of cake...

von Marwitz

I think you are right for SK scenarios that are already published, but for SK's to be published you would get the schematic conversion down. Past SK scenarios would require more tweaking, but the good news is there is a limited finite amount already published. Besides their is a pandemic, lots of free time...

lt_steiner

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Some ASLSK scenarios are already conversions/adaptations from full ASL scenarios:
  • S8 - Ad Hoc at Chef-du-Pont adapted from T1 Gavin Take and 181 Gavin Take (Yanks #2)
  • S14 - 88s at Zon adapted from A32 Zon with the Wind and 188 Zon with Wind (Yanks #2)
  • S58 - Exit N° 1 adapted from T5 The Pouppeville Exit and 183 The Pouppeville Exit (Yanks #2)
  • S65 - Take it Back looks like an adaptation of HS5 Restoration from Operation Watchtower historical module.
  • S66 - Bailey's Bridge seems related to HC2 Bailey's Demise that appeared in Operation Special edition #3 using the included Hell's Corner map, and also HS8 Bailey's Demise from Operation Watchtower historical module.
  • S67 - Besieged related to A115 Blockbusters from ASL Annual'1997 with Nhpum Ga map.
  • S68 - The End of Their Rope related to A83 Last of their strength (ASL Annual'95 and more recently scenario 158 Last of their Strength from ASL Rising Sun). It looks also related to an old French scenario TAC27 "Jusqu'au bout de leurs forces" (Last of their strength from Tactiques magazine #3).
  • S73 – West of the Vire seems related to AP106 Helluva Patrol Leader (Action Pack #11)

kempenfelter

Motivational Speaker
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
And I always thought S2 War Of The Rats took its inspiration from Scenario B The Tractor Works. The only MMP scenario that uses a Starter KIt board for ASL is J106 Marders Not Martyrs, isn't it? Also, you need counters from Beyond Valor to play it. So far I have resisted the urge to buy Starter Kit Expansion Pack #2 but I may not be able to hold out much longer.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I need them for my "Dune" scenario. The spice must flow.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total oblivion ...