New Map (playtest version)

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here is one of the proposed maps for the next series we are working on. It is a small farm...what do you folks think about the inclusion of two small rises in the two grain fields represented by slopes (mainly to break up the billiard tableness, but also needed for one of the scenarios)?

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
As a person who hates slopes and do not think they are worth the trouble I say no. But I am of course biased.:nuts:

I think the problem would be is then you would need to include the slopes (or a modified set of slope rules) in with the pack as they are not in the main Rule Book.

Just MHO, either way, being a map slut, I cannot wait!

Peace

roger

Last edited:

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I think that is an awesome map, Fort.

I really like the terrain around the bridge - the pond and swamp really make it a choke point (often players just plunge around the streams with half their OBs, to avoid the bridge location - not all European streams/small rivers are that shallow, you know).....

The farm has a very realistic feel to it - although I would call it a Kolchoz, not a "small farm".....small farms in Russia would be a collection of huts in 1941 I think....

Absolutely big fan of the slopes in the grainfield - increased realism and very good for setup options. Normally big grainfields force you to go for Level 1 locations....

Two suggestions...

1) maybe run a road into one or two of the main buildings? A Factory is always nice, esp for setup of OT vehicles, etc..
2) Is the water tower not a bit too central.....with superior LOS in all directions.....seems like a "guaranteed HS/MG position"....

Good stuff, really.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
In general, I like the idea of slopes to break up the billiard table flatness of the ASL world.

In this particular instance, I found myself trying to fit the slope placement into the fact that the ground in general would be tending downward toward the stream. I convinced myself that slopes could happen this way, but only if there was another stream off-board to the left and the ridge between the drainages crested around the C10-C11 area.

I think that slope placement should be informed by that sort of consideration, as water features and gullies on the ASL boards in general DO NOT follow any geographic/hydrological rhyme or reason.

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
They slopes need to be darker. As they are now, they could lost when counters are on the board.

The big stone building seems out of place for a farm.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Nice looking map, and I have no issue with slopes in ASL.
OK so hate was a strang word, I do not dislike Slopes as much as OBA:smoke:

Seriously though I think that the slope rules would have to go out for a free download or something (one page of rules for Chapter E maybe) if they are going to be included in offical products on non-HASL maps. Just my two pennies and really it would not be that much work.

Though I am stoked about this product. The scenarios looked real cool and I love maps.

Peace

Roger

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't like slopes myself, but a few here and there like in this map are less of a problem. Could always be SSRed in/out like bocage.

I agree, though-- there would have to be a rule page with the pack to make it even acceptable. Maybe since we are introducing 'light grain ' into a HASL, this could go into the rule page as well.

DerBlitzer

Reaction score
Country
llTurkey
Nice map. It does have a more realistic feel to the building placement, tower, silos, etc.

I do think, too, that the slope markings need to be a little darker. But also, and maybe this shows my ignorance with slopes, shouldn't the markings surround the entire hex? How does the ground slope down on side of the grain but not the other? Maybe I'm thinking too much in terms of hills.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am okay with the slopes.

But the earlier point made by Blackcloud 6, I second. They need to be a wee bit darker, so they show up just a little easier in the course of play.

Also Peter's suggestion 1, is worth a hard look.

Treadhead

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not crazy about slopes, but can deal with them.

Looks like a tough little crossroads to get at from just about any direction.

I am appreciating more and more the flexibility of this configuration.

The walls seem quite a bit heavy to me. Monstrous, almost. No wonder walls are indestructible.

Arlecchino

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Go for slope! But include them in the main rulebook with some errata page.:yummy:

J. R. Tracy

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nice map, and I appreciate the inclusion of slopes - they're worth the rules overhead, in my opinion. Scenario designers can always SSR them away if they don't want the hassle.

JR

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I like the map but not a big of the slopes. As has already been mentioned, future designers can always SSR them out if not wanted in their own designs.

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Personally I dislike slopes. Too much work for too little effect. <shrug>

But if that is the only problem with the map, then you're doing ok. :laugh:

DPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I like the feel of it a lot - looks like a real place. Eastern front-like.

I don't like slopes either, just because they cause guys to scratch their heads, flip through the rules, delay the game. TMI.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't like slopes either, just because they cause guys to scratch their heads, flip through the rules, delay the game. TMI.
Well, if all the new boards had slopes and the players actually learned the slope rules we wouldn't have this problem any more now would we? :)

Fort,

How many of these boards are going to be in AP6? Will the one above be included?

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Well, if all the new boards had slopes and the players actually learned the slope rules we wouldn't have this problem any more now would we? :)
Well they will at least need the slope rule in AP6. Make 'em a page in Chapter E is what I feel is the best thing to do. So many HASLs use them, might as well add the page to the RB.

Peace

Roger