New Map (playtest version)

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One other thing - for variety's sake, my personal druther would be to change one of the 2-hex wooden buildings (E11 or E12) to a pair of single-hex wooden buildings, or perhaps a Lumberyard and a single-hex wooden building. It would also offer a bit fewer options for the defender, which IMO is a good thing here, as there's quite a number of Level 1 options for them to see over the grainfields and walls with. I think the board could stand to limit those options just a smidge.

Shrug. Hey, it's a beautiful board. Just offering an opinion on what my brain thinks about during the editing process.

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Annoying if you're a visual person like me. If they're on the board, I find it hard to visual any SSR changes anyway, just the way I'm wired I guess.
I'm kinda the same way, if they are there its hard to "ignore" but as they appear now, they are light enough so that they are noticeable but not distracting, at least in the currently posted version.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Shrug. Hey, it's a beautiful board. Just offering an opinion on what my brain thinks about during the editing process.
Kinda the same way I think when playtesting one of my own designs. Not 'how does this side win', but 'what do I want to change '....

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey, if you are fine with magical, invisible, levitating terrain, knock yourself out. Doesn't seem very realistic to me.

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey, if you are fine with magical, invisible, levitating terrain, knock yourself out. Doesn't seem very realistic to me.
Now, now...let's not get nasty. There are lots of problems with ASL that could be described as you attempt to describe slopes here. One man's pudding is another man's poison.

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That's why I asked, because the images I find are "light stone" walls with wooden roofs. The large stone building on the map seems out of place, but I am not an expert. It didn't "look" European to me either. That's why I was wondering if it was based upon a battlefield or historical location.
Actual collective farm.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Kinda the same way I think when playtesting one of my own designs. Not 'how does this side win', but 'what do I want to change '....
I wonder if it's the same for scenarios as for mapboards... 95% of the time, the board is improved if you take something away. May be just the way I do boards, but my first couple of iterations tend to ADD stuff, and then once I feel like I've captured whatever it is I want to capture, then I know it's time to start pruning stuff away. You look at Kibler's, Petros' or Dunn's designs, you see a certain cleanness that comes from having less, not more. I often wonder if that came from building UP from the original thought, or from editing DOWN.

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm guessing that whoever took that photo is standing on a slope. I don't see any of that grass hindering anything.
Yep..this photo is a very good example of what slopes can bring to ASL geoboards. There are LOS's all over the place...and the ground definitely is NOT flat...and I don't see any of the undulations blocking LOS's from the viewer. Look how the woods on the the deep left are able to see over the woods in the left foreground, and how you can see to the base of the buildings on the far far left from the viewer's location OVER all the intervening 1/2 height terrain...as well as everything in between despite the undulations.

Last edited:

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Fort,

I like the slopes. However, I think the art would be better if the slope depiction actually slightly crossed the hexside. It would make it easier to see if there were counters on the map. Right now it is too easy for them to get lost. JMHO...

Steve

afantozzi

Reaction score
First name
Andrea
Country
llItaly
Nice map!
Agree that slopes should be darker (I even didn't notice them at fist)