New Look!

KG_Norad

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well well well, I new it was coming but was not expecting it so soon!
So far so good...Color will take some getting used to...Keep up the great work Don!

Michael:D

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
What is it with my forums, just when Matrix Games gets maybe fixed, they alter it.

The altered the Wargamer forums tonight. And I was just getting used to the look.

I come here, and these are changed.

Come on guys, I am getting to old for all this constant change :)

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
The latest version of VBulletin was just released and everyone is upgrading. The beta version we were using before used a temporary method to store the styles. This is release candidate #2 and is basically the Gold release of VBulletin. As such, the style sets have now been fully implemented and that required some changes when we upgraded the software.

I don't expect many additional changes for some time.

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
A common comment is to return the poster's ID and avatar etc back over to the left of post, as this makes the posts less long in the process and look better.

I would have to share that view.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
LestheSarge9-1 said:
A common comment is to return the poster's ID and avatar etc back over to the left of post, as this makes the posts less long in the process and look better.

I would have to share that view.
I don't really have any control over that without hacking the VBulletin code.

Kraut

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
for security reasons I have setup my Internet Explorer to always ask me before executing an ActiveX script and now I get this pop up on every new forum page I load... annoying :cry:

jlbetin

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Kraut said:
for security reasons I have setup my Internet Explorer to always ask me before executing an ActiveX script and now I get this pop up on every new forum page I load... annoying :cry:
Kraut accept "only signed activeX" it gives a good security without pesky messages

Der Wanderer

Kraut

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
It doesn't give you any security at all, even a malicious ActiveX can be signed. It comes down to trust, I could add WarfareHQ to my list of TrustedSites, but usually the well known sites aren't distributing malicious ActiveX controls knowingly, it's usually a hacker who broke into a well known site and replaces the site code with his software, therefore trusting a website isn't really a solution.

But why is Active X needed on a website anyway ? Answer: there is no reason why a website must use ActiveX, everything can be done with JavaScript/HTML/PHP or should be left undone (or otherwise non IE/Windows user might be unable to access the site at all!)

ActiveX: just say NO :)

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Kraut said:
But why is Active X needed on a website anyway ? Answer: there is no reason why a website must use ActiveX, everything can be done with JavaScript/HTML/PHP or should be left undone (or otherwise non IE/Windows user might be unable to access the site at all!)

I'll try to find out why VBulletin is using that.

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Don regarding the Post ie the User being on top of message instead of side of message, you might want to ask over at Wargamer or Matrix Games of one of the guys in charge. I think they just converted to the same software, and this exact same comment (mine) was mentioned, and they were able to adjust the "look".

I am assuming someone there could give you a quick response on what was needed if it is just a setting.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
LestheSarge9-1 said:
Don regarding the Post ie the User being on top of message instead of side of message, you might want to ask over at Wargamer or Matrix Games of one of the guys in charge. I think they just converted to the same software, and this exact same comment (mine) was mentioned, and they were able to adjust the "look".

I am assuming someone there could give you a quick response on what was needed if it is just a setting.
Yes, I found out how to do it. They built in a new feature to allow users to revert to "legacy" mode. I'm not sure I want to do that though. The only differece it makes it to put all the user's information back on the left hand side of the thread. That info takes up about 30% of the width of the thread, thus the text box is less wide. In the new setup the text box and the user's info are both evenly distributed across the table.

What does everone else think about this?

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Kraut said:
It doesn't give you any security at all, even a malicious ActiveX can be signed. It comes down to trust, I could add WarfareHQ to my list of TrustedSites, but usually the well known sites aren't distributing malicious ActiveX controls knowingly, it's usually a hacker who broke into a well known site and replaces the site code with his software, therefore trusting a website isn't really a solution.

Go into your options and turn off the WYSIWYG. That should be the only thing that is using Active X. The warnings should go away.

LaPalice

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Hey, who have changed the wallpaper when I wasn't there for the week end ? :)
Ok, seems interesting, we will do with that.

LaPalice.

laszlo.nemedi

Reaction score
Country
llHungary
Don,

can the location comes back to the user information. Sometimes it is interesting to see it (Jamiam always change it for example)...

Kraut

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Don Maddox said:
Go into your options and turn off the WYSIWYG. That should be the only thing that is using Active X. The warnings should go away.
I don't have WYSIWYG enabled, I am already using the standart controls. But as WYSIWYG is only relevant during posting a message and I get the ActiveX requests on _every_ side I had a look at the HTML code and I'm pretty sure what's causeing these popups is the log-out function:

Code:
	ht[0].style.filter = "progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.BasicImage(grayscale=1)";
This line is causing the difficulties , and all it does is a graphical trick (turning the screen grey during the pop-up request whether you really want to log out), thats all. Nobody would miss that effect, I'm sure :)

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
WYSIWYG was enabled on every page because I had it turned on for the quick reply feature. I've now set the QR to use only the standard editing tags. If you also have WYSIWYG disabled in your profile, then this should stop the Active X according to what I was told on the VBulletin forum. Let me know if it does not and I will look into it further.

Anyone else getting pop-ups?