new log files

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I recently ran Malwarebytes on my computer and now when I attempt to save a log file, from an older .vasl log, it saves it generically (IE: not in a .vasl save file) so that my computer will not read it.

New files that I create with 6.3.3 will save as a .vasl file but not those that were on my computer prior to running Malwarebytes.

What did I do or how can I fix this?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Dunno if that has anything to do with it. But recently, my virus-scanner issued a warning (not a detection-alarm), that one of the blank boards was compressed beyond what it considers proper. It never complained in the many months before in which I had that board-file on my computer.

As I have never used the file before, I deleted it. Yer ne'er know... ;)

von Marwitz

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I recently ran Malwarebytes on my computer and now when I attempt to save a log file, from an older .vasl log, it saves it generically (IE: not in a .vasl save file) so that my computer will not read it.

New files that I create with 6.3.3 will save as a .vasl file but not those that were on my computer prior to running Malwarebytes.

What did I do or how can I fix this?
If I understand your problem, the files you save end up without a ".vasl" extension. If so, the name of the file does not alter its contents. Rename your file to have a .vasl extension.

On the other hand you confuse me when you say, "my computer will not read it." When you start vasl it should give you the choice of "start new game...", "look...", and "load saved game." When you choose the third option you should be able to browse to the file and load it, even without the extension being ".vasl". [As an aside, I save my games with a ".vsav" extension, not ".vasl". You may have mapped ".vasl" to open with vasl in windows, but windows does not look inside the files. You can rename a text file to have a ".vasl" extension, and windows will still try to use vasl to open it (which will fail very badly). vasl game files are actually .zip files with some .xml files and a private format file inside. If you copy one then rename it it ".zip" you can open it and peer inside. The private format file is the interesting one, but it's not very easily decoded.]

JR

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
just out of curiosity, but my computer saves saved VASL game files with a default .vsav extension, nothing needed on my part for input to make that occur - been that way since 5.8.3 days. It saved logfiles likewise into default .vlog extensions, been that way since VASL 5.9.2 days.

Is there something others are doing that changes the default extension? This might be a source of the issue. I can see a AV or Anti-malware program not liking a file that has been "tampered" by extension change from the default recognized by the system registry, flagging it, alerting on it, or even in the worst case, quarantining it.