New John Tiller Wargame!

MKSheppard

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Glenn Saunders said:
That you feel the interface is tired to you may indeed be that it is similar to others - guys who don't want to completely relearn something else.
Improvements could be made to the map graphics, and they could adopt the TOAW system of moving counters. You just click on the unit you want to move and then drag a transparent line across the map. With Tiller's current system, it's painful moving a lot of units around CLICK, CLICK CLICK CLICK for each single hex.

I believe I've mentioned this to you before, Glenn :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Use the Alt key. You can highlight a unit and then hold the Alt key down and click the hex where you want the unit to go to and it will move in that direction. You will have to be careful as sometimes the computer will move it in a straight line rather then a more winding path along the road but you can defeat that by clicking on a hex down the road and maybe doing it a couple of times instead of one click. You can also just highlight the hex the unit is in rather then selecting the unit, hold the Alt key down, and click the hex you want it to move to, and all the units in line with the front will follow. This really speeds up moving reinforcing units along roads, etc. You do have to be careful as if your units move next to one you didn't intend to move they will get sucked right along so watch that. Also, for some annoying reason, in Gettysburg they included rail lines and if it parallels the roads in places the column will jump to the rail line instead of staying on the roads. Just somethings you have to discipline yourself to watch for.

rahamy

HPS Games Forum Moderator
Reaction score
The most common way I move troops around the map is in column formation, with the highest ranking leader out front. Then I can take a Brigade, Division or even a Corps and move the entire thing at once. I double-click on the lead unit, press and hold the "Alt" key and then right-click on the destination hex. The entire column moves right along. with that single operation.

Exceptions to this would be if you have supply wagons mixed in with your troops (which historically would have really clogged things up and slowed them down). Or if some units are disrupted.

Now when you are moving into a combat posture you should address each unit individually, but personally I prefer that.

A lot has to do with becoming familiar with all the hot-keys the system has to offer.

Regards,
Rich

MKSheppard

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
RangerBooBoo said:
Use the Alt key. You can highlight a unit and then hold the Alt key down and click the hex where you want the unit to go to and it will move in that direction.
I want to move the unit, singular, not the entire formation. :p

TOAW, despite being a very old system from 1999 or so had a lot of
stuff that would be welcome in the Tiller Engine; making units report combat losses on map was a step in the right direction.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you select the individual unit rather then just the hex and use the Alt key, then only the selected unit will move. That is how you move a single unit. Selecting just the hex and using the Alt key moves the entire formation. This does take a little planning as Rich is right about supply wagons really fouling up road movement.

MKSheppard

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
RangerBooBoo said:
If you select the individual unit rather then just the hex and use the Alt key, then only the selected unit will move. That is how you move a single unit.
Incorrect.

You click on and select the unit with the LEFT mouse button,
and then you HOLD DOWN the left mouse button and move the cursor
to where you want the unit to move, then RELEASE the LMB. It took me some thinking to figure out. The Manual is rather vague on this:

To move units, you first select the units to move and then right click in an adjacent hex. Alternatively, you can click in the starting hex, move the mouse to the destination hex, and release the button (this is "drag-and-drop").
It needs to be rewritten to be more clear and concise on how
you "drag and drop".